spanish fried rice recipe with step by step photos. easy to make spanish rice is one of my favorite recipes. its simple like the portuguese tomato rice, but more flavorful and little spicy, and the method of cooking the rice is also different.
by the way, its really mexican rice but known as spanish rice. in mexico it is served as a side dish with other mexican dishes. i don’t know much about mexican food, other than tortillas, burittos, guacamole (my favorite) and the mexican bean recipes. recently i added two quick and easy recipes from mexican cuisine that is tomato salsa and mango salsa recipe. otherwise my knowledge about mexican food is very limited. you can read more about spanish rice here on wikipedia.
spanish rice is made by browning the rice with onions, garlic then cooked with capsicum, chopped tomatoes/tomato puree/tomato paste plus vegetable broth. if using tomato puree, then reduce the amount of vegetable broth to 3 cups.
the recipe is good, tasty and a must try. spanish fried rice goes well with green salad or onion tomato salad.
spanish fried rice recipe card below:
- 1 cup rice
- 2-3 medium sized tomatoes, chopped or 2 tablespoon tomato paste or 1 cup tomato puree
- 2-3 garlic/lahsun, chopped
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized capsicum/green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilis, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper or ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 to 3 cups water or vegetable stock or as required
- salt as required
heat olive oil in a pan.
add the onions and fry them for a minute.
add the rice to the onions.
saute the rice with the onions till the rice becomes light brown and opaque.
add the tomatoes, garlic, bell peppers and green chilies and continue sauting for some 2-3 minutes.
add the water or vegetable stock with salt and pepper.
cover and cook the rice till its done.
serve the spanish rice hot.
how to make spanish fried rice recipe:
1. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for the spanish rice.
2. heat 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pan.
3. add 1 medium sized onion which is chopped finely.
4. fry them for a minute.
5. add 1 cup rice to the onions.
6. stir well.
7. saute the rice with the onions till the rice becomes light brown and opaque.
8. add 2 to 3 medium sized tomatoes which is chopped or 2 tablespoon tomato paste or 1 cup tomato puree , 2 to 3 chopped garlic (lahsun), 1 medium sized green bell pepper or capsicum (simla mirch) which is chopped and 1 to 2 chopped green chilies (hari mirch).
9. stir and mix very well.
10. continue sauting for some 2-3 minutes.
11. next add 2 to 3 cups water/vegetable stock or add as required.
12. mix well.
13. lastly add ¼ teaspoon black pepper (kali mirch powder) or ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder) and salt.
14. stir very well.
15. just keep checking the rice at 10 to 12 minutes intervals.
16. cover and cook the rice till its done.
17. serve the spanish rice hot.