easy to make spanish rice is one of my favorite recipes. its simple like the portuguese tomato rice, but more flavorful and little spicy, and the method of cooking the rice is also different.
by the way, its really mexican rice but known as spanish rice. in mexico it is served as a side dish with other mexican dishes. i don’t know much about mexican food, other than tortillas, burittos, guacamole (my favorite) and the mexican bean recipes. recently i added two quick and easy recipes from mexican cuisine that is tomato salsa and mango salsa recipe. otherwise my knowledge about mexican food is very limited. you can read more about spanish rice here on wikipedia.
spanish rice is made by browning the rice with onions, garlic then cooked with capsicum, chopped tomatoes/tomato puree/tomato paste plus vegetable broth. if using tomato puree, then reduce the amount of vegetable broth to 3 cups.
the photographs were shot, when it was time for the sun set and am not so pleased with it. anyways…. the recipe is good, tasty and a must try…
spanish rice recipe below:
- 2 cups rice
- 3-4 medium sized tomatoes, chopped or 2 tbsp tomato paste or 1 cup tomato puree
- 4-5 garlic/lahsun, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large capsicum/green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilis, chopped
- ½ tsp black pepper or ½ tsp red chili powder
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups water or vegetable stock
- salt as required
- heat olive oil in a pan.
- add the onions and fry them for a minute.
- add the rice to the onions.
- saute the rice with the onions till the rice becomes light brown and opaque.
- add the tomatoes, garlic, bell peppers and green chilies and continue sauting for some 2-3 minutes.
- add the water or vegetable stock with salt and pepper.
- cover and cook the rice till its done.
- serve the spanish rice hot.