salted lassi recipe with stepwise photos – one more contrasting variation to the popular sweet punjabi lassi. a cooling savory yogurt drink to beat the heat.
lassi is a very popular drink which is made during summers in india. there are many ways of making lassi. it could be sweet, salty or made with fruits like mango, strawberry. most people like sweet lassi but some people are also fond of namkeen lassi. my personal choice in lassi, will always be mango lassi.
this salted lassi is flavored with black salt, roasted cumin powder and garnished with mint leaves. if you like the hint of black salt in drinks then you might like this lassi. if you do are not able to get black salt, then substitute with regular salt or rock salt.
a variation to this lassi, is too blend some mint leaves with yogurt and you have nice refreshing mint lassi. some people also make this lassi just with yogurt, water and salt.
salted lassi recipe below:
- 2.5 cups chilled fresh full fat yogurt/curd/dahi
- 1 cup chilled water/pani
- 1 tsp black salt/kala namak - black salt is not very salty, hence 1 tsp. if using any other salt, add as per your taste
- 1.5 tsp roasted cumin powder/bhuna jeera powder
- 6 to 7 mint leaves/pudina ke patte
- a few ice cubes, optional
- take the chilled fresh yogurt in a bowl or pan.
- add chilled water to yogurt.
- sprinkle the salt and roasted cumin powder. a tip is to add ½ tsp of salt first. then once you blend everything, add salt accordingly.
- if you don't have cumin, then just dry roast ¾ tsp cumin till fragrant, in a small pan or skillet/tava and then crush in a mortar-pestle till fine.
- with a wired whisk blend everything well till smooth.
- in the step by step pics, i have used the traditional indian hand held blender, known as madani in hindi. you can use an electric blender.
- pour the lassi in glasses. garnish with mint leaves and serve salted lassi immediately. ice cubes can also be added or you can use the chilled yogurt and water to make this lassi. you can also refrigerate the namkeen lassi for a couple of hours, before serving.
Update: due to recent policies of facebook, many of you are not getting update from Veg Recipes of India facebook page. to keep getting updates, kindly go to our facebook page and click on “Liked” option and then select “See First” option under the drop down menu “IN YOUR NEWS FEED“. another option, is to occasionally show interest in our facebook page updates by liking, sharing or commenting in the facebook post. thanks for your continuous support and cooperation.
few steps to make salted lassi recipe:
1. take the yogurt in a bowl or pan.
2. add water to yogurt.
3. sprinkle the salt and roasted cumin powder. if you don’t have cumin, then just dry roast the cumin till fragrant, in a small pan or skillet/tawa and then crush in a mortar-pestle.
4. with a wired whisk blend everything well till smooth. here i have used the traditional indian hand held blender, known as madani in hindi. you can use an electric blender.
5. pour the lassi in glasses. garnish with mint leaves and serve salted lassi. ice cubes can also be added or you can use chilled yogurt and water to make this lassi.Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media