sabudana khichdi recipe with step by step photos. sabudana khichdi is made during fasting and also is a regular breakfast or snack in maharashtra. sabudana khichdi is made with soaked tapioca pearls and flavored with cumin seeds, roasted peanut powder or crushed peanuts and green chilies.
i had made this sabudana khichdi for navratri so thought of sharing the recipe. this sabudana khichdi recipe is different from the sabudana khichdi i have posted earlier and usually prepare. my sister had shared this recipe with me, which she got from her maharashtrian cook. green chilies are used generously in the recipe. i cannot have so much of green chilies in any dish, so i add them less while making this recipe. her cook comes from the southern part of maharashtra, where they have really spicy food. thus they are used to having so much heat and spice in their food. but for people like us, who eat less spicy food, green chilies can be reduced. though based upon your taste preferences, you can always add less or more of green chilies.
in fact, if you just have sabudana khichdi during fasting, then add just add half or 1 green chili. but if you do have regular vrat/upvas meals and fruits, then you can add more green chilies. both roasted peanut powder & whole roasted peanuts are added. hence these give a good taste as well as crunch in the recipe. thereby what you get is a delicious and tasty sabudana khichdi.
you have to soak sabudana pearls for 2 hours or more or overnight till they soften. some sabudana pearl may take just 20 to 30 minutes to soften and some more time. so soak them accordingly. i soaked tapioca pearls for an hour and they were soft. just press a few pearls gently, if they get mashed easily, then they are soaked well.
having sabudana khichdi is always nostalgic for me. as i used to eat it quite often from my school friend’s tiffin box. the best part of sabudana khichdi is that it tastes good, whether is hot or warm or at room temperature. both sabudana vada and sabudana khichdi are my favorite snacks not only during fasting, but also otherwise. i like to have them with a hot cup of tea.
you can make sabudana khichdi as breakfast, snack and even for vrat/fasts. if you are confused what to make on fasting days, then check this link – 80 navratri fasting recipes.
sabudana khichdi recipe card below:
maharashtrian style sabudana khichdi recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
for peanut powder:
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts (moongphali) - dry grind roasted peanuts to powder
for sabudana khichdi
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, you can also use ghee
- 1 cup sabudana (tapioca pearls)
- 2 small to medium size potatoes (aloo) - peeled and chopped into small cubes
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts (moongphali)
- 1 to 3 green chilies (hari mirch) - chopped. you can add more green chilies if you want
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon sugar or as required
- ½ to 1 teaspoon lime or lemon juice or as required (optional)
- sendha namak or rock salt as required.
how to make recipe
- rinse 1 cup of sabudana or tapioca pearls a couple of times in water. soak them in 2 cups water for a couple of hours or overnight. to check, just gently press a few sabudana pearls by pressing if they are soft or not. the sabudana pearls should easily mash.
- drain them well or place them in a colander/strainer for 5 to 6 mins. keep aside.
making sabudana khichdi
- heat a pan and add 1/2 cup peanuts.
- on a low flame, stirring at times, roast peanuts till you see a few black spots on them. they should become crunchy. keep them aside and let them cool. you can remove the peanuts skin if you want.
- now take 1/4 cup of the roasted peanuts in a small grinder jar. reserve the rest of the 1/4 cup. grind to a semi fine or coarse powder.
- heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil or ghee in a thick bottomed pan or kadai.
- add chopped potatoes.
- on a low to medium flame, pan fry the potatoes till they are crisp and golden.
- remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon and place aside.
- in the same oil or ghee add cumin seeds. saute till they crackle.
- now add 1 to 3 green chilies. saute for some seconds.
- next add 1/4 cup of the roasted peanuts.
- also add the shallow fried potatoes. mix very well.
- sprinkle rock salt or sendha namak as per taste and add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon sugar. mix again.
- now add the sabudana pearls. stir and mix very well.
- cover the pan with a lid, cook for 2 to 3 minutes on a low flame or sim.
- then remove the lid. stir again. by now the sabudana pearls will be cooked and appear translucent.
- drizzle 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of lime or lemon juice all over and mix well.
- add the ground roasted peanut powder. again mix well.
- cover the pan with the lid. switch off the flame and let the sabudana khichdi rest for 1 to 2 minutes.
- serve sabudana khichdi hot or warm or at room temperature with lime or lemon wedges.
how to make maharashtrian style sabudana khichdi recipe:
1. rinse 1 cup of sabudana or tapioca pearls a couple of times in water. soak them in 2 to 2.5 cups water for 2 hours or more or overnight. to check if they have softened or not, gently press a few sabudana pearls by pressing. the sabudana pearls should easily mash. if not, then soak them for some more time and add some more water. you can soak the pearls overnight or for 2 to 3 hours. depending on the quality of pearls. they might take more or less time to soften. the tapioca pearls i used just took 1 hour to soften.
2. drain them well or place them in a colander/strainer for 5 to 6 mins, so that all the extra water drains off. keep aside.
3. heat a pan. keep the flame to a low and add ½ cup peanuts.
4. stir and roast the peanuts on a low flame, till they become crunchy. remove and let them cool. you can remove the skin from peanuts if you want.
5. now take ¼ cup of the roasted peanuts in a grinder jar. dry grind to a powder. you can grind into semi fine or coarse powder. grind in parts, so that you get peanut powder and not peanut butter. reserve the remaining ¼ cup roasted peanuts. alternatively you can coarsely powder the peanuts in a mortar-pestle.
6. heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil or ghee in a thick bottomed pan or kadai.
7. on a low to medium flame, pan fry the chopped potatoes. about 2 small to medium sized potatoes which are chopped in small cubes.
8. when the potatoes become crisp and golden, then remove them with a slotted spoon and keep aside.
9. lower the flame. then in the same pan, add cumin seeds. saute till they crackle.
10. now add 1 to 3 green green chilies (chopped). saute for some seconds. you can add less or more green chilies as per your taste preferences.
11. add the remaining ¼ cup roasted peanuts. i have removed the skin from the roasted peanuts.
12. also add the pan fried potatoes. mix well.
13. sprinkle rock salt or sendha namak as required and add ½ to 1 teaspoon of sugar. add sugar also as per your taste preferences. mix well.
14. now add the sabudana pearls.
15. stir and mix very well.
16. cover the pan with a lid and cook for 2 to 3 mins on a low flame or sim.
17. after 2 to 3 minutes, remove the lid. stir well. by now the sabudana pearls will appear translucent and cooked.
18. drizzle 1 teaspoon of lime or lemon juice. mix very well.
19. next add the ground roasted peanut powder. again stir and mix very well.
20. cover the pan with its lid. then switch off the flame. allow the sabudana khichdi to rest for 1 to 2 minutes before you serve.
then serve sabudana khichdi hot or warm with lime or lemon wedges.