spicy red chili garlic chutney recipe - this is a spicy red chutney for chaat recipes and is made with just three ingredients – dry red chilies, garlic and salt. sometimes i make this chutney when i plan to make chaat at home.
this red chilli garlic chutney is versatile as it can be added to spice up a lot of chaat snacks like – sev puri, bhel puri, ragda patties, dahi puri, dahi sev batata puri, dahi papdi chaat, dahi vada. you can also use a bit of this chutney in wraps or as a side chutney with pakoras or vegetable momos.
there are three chutneys that are added to all the chaat snacks mentioned above – green chutney made with mint & coriander leaves, sweet tamarind dates chutney or saunth and this red chili garlic chutney.
when i plan to make chaat, then i make these chutneys a day before and refrigerate them. the green chutney stays good for 2 to 3 days. the red chutney for a week and the tamarind dates chutney or saunth chutney for about 3 weeks to a month.
i always prepare this chutney with kashmiri red chilies as they give a good deep red color and are not very heaty. if you do not get kashmiri red chilies, then use a variety of dry red chilies which are less hot. if not using the lesser hot chilies, then depending upon the heat in the chilies, reduce the amount. to make the chutney less hot, you can also deseed them.
red chutney for chaat recipes details below:
- 15 to 16 dry kashmiri red chilies
- 8 to 9 medium garlic cloves
- salt as required
- break the chilies. deseed them if required.
- soak the red chilies in hot water for about 30 mins. the water just needs to cover them.
- peel and roughly chop the garlic.
- drain the red chilies.
- adding very little water grind both the red chilies and garlic in a chutney grinder or blender till smooth. the consistency of the chutney should be more towards thicker side or of medium consistency.
- pour the chutney in a small jar or bowl. cover and refrigerate.
- when preparing chaat snacks, just add a small amount while topping the chaat with other chutneys.