raw mango chaat recipe with step by step photos – tangy and spicy chaat made with raw unripe green mangoes.
raw mangoes are in season. so i make quite a number of recipes with them like aam panna, chutney, dal, pickle and raw mango rice. this chaat is also one such recipe.
usually when i make this raw mango chaat, i make it all sour and tart. in hinglish i would say, its only khatta and not meetha. so there is no sweet element in the recipe. this chaat will be loved by those who like tangy food and especially those who like to have raw mangoes with some salt and red chili powder.
few more raw unripe mango recipes on blog are:
- aam ka panna
- aam ka murabba
- green mango chutney
- raw mango rice
- raw mango dal
- mango chunda
- punjabi mango pickle
this raw mango chaat recipe is easily adaptable to the ingredients you have at home and you can easily substitute or add your choice of ingredients. e.g you can skip puffed rice (murmura) and add corn flakes. you can add steamed sprouts and cooked chickpeas instead of potatoes. so you can come up with various alternative ingredients for this chaat.
serve this aam chaat immediately as otherwise the puffed rice becomes soggy and looses its crispness.
raw mango chaat recipe below:
raw mango chaat recipe
raw mango chaat recipe - tangy and spicy chaat made with raw mangoes, puffed rice and other ingredients.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- ½ cup tightly packed finely chopped raw unripe mango or 200 to 225 grams raw mangoes
- 1 cup puffed rice (murmura)
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts (bhuni moongphali)
- ¼ cup masala chana
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies (hari mirch) - finely chopped
- 1 medium potato, boiled and chopped
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala powder
- 3 to 4 tablespoon fine nylon sev
- 2 to 3 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- black salt as required
how to make recipe?
- on a low flame, roast the puffed rice in a pan or kadai till they become crisp. keep aside.
- you will need roasted peanuts. so either you can roast the peanuts in a pan or in the microwave.
- take ½ cup tightly packed finely chopped raw unripe mango in a mixing bowl.
- then add 1/2 cup chopped boiled potato, 1/4 cup finely chopped onion, 1/4 cup finely chopped tomatoes, and 1 tsp finely chopped green chilies. mix everything well.
- add roasted 1/4 cup roasted peanuts and 1/4 cup masala chana. these masala chana are from haldiram's. then add the puffed rice.
- add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp red chili powder, 1/2 tsp chaat masala powder and black salt.
- toss and mix everything quickly.
- add 1/2 tbsp lemon or lime juice.
- add 2 to 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
- add fine sev (fried gram flour vermicelli). mix quickly.
- serve raw mango chaat immediately in plates on bowls, as it gets soggy quickly.
step by step raw mango chaat recipe:
1. on a low flame, roast the puffed rice in a pan or kadai till they become crisp. keep aside.
2. you will need roasted peanuts. so either you can roast the peanuts in a pan or in the microwave.
3. take ½ cup tightly packed finely chopped raw unripe mango in a mixing bowl.
4. then add ½ cup chopped boiled potato, ¼ cup finely chopped onion, ¼ cup finely chopped tomatoes and 1 tsp finely chopped green chilies.
5. mix everything well.
6. add roasted ¼ cup roasted peanuts and ¼ cup masala chana. these masala chana are from haldirams.
7. then add the puffed rice.
8. add ¼ to ½ tsp red chili powder, ½ tsp chaat masala powder and black salt.
9. toss and mix everything quickly.
10. add ½ tbsp lemon or lime juice.
11. add 2 to 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
12. add fine sev (fried gram flour vermicelli).
13. mix quickly. check the taste and add more black salt or red chili powder or chaat masala powder or lemon juice if required.
14. serve raw mango chaat immediately in plates on bowls, as it gets soggy quickly. garnish with some more sev and coriander leaves if you like. for more tasty chaat recipes, you can check this collection of 30 chaat recipes.