rava idli recipe with step by step photos – one quick, easy and instant idli recipe which was missing on my space. being an idli and dosa lover, i never say no to the different idli varieties out there.
rava idli gets made at home when we want some quick and easy idlis. so i make the idli batter within some minutes and when the idli is steaming i prepare the coconut chutney.
to make instant rava idlis, no grinding and fermenting is required. the idlis are made with sooji/rava or fine semolina (cream of wheat). this is my version of making instant rava idlis. i have not added any grated vegetables or boiled peas in the idlis. if you want you can easily add them. just boil the peas beforehand and also keep ready the grated veggies.
if you like instant varieties of idli and dosa then you can check these links also:
- instant idli mix flour
- how to make instant idli recipe
- instant dosa recipe
- how to make instant dosa mix flour
- instant oats idli recipe
- healthy instant ragi dosa recipe
you can use both fresh or sour curd/yogurt to make the idlis. this recipe of rava idli is different from the idlis made with rice rava. whereas this one use wheat rava or cream of wheat. the other one uses rice rava or cream of rice.
instant rava idli recipe below:
instant rava idli recipe
instant rava idli recipe - quick and easy idlis made with sooji or semolina. requires no grinding and fermentation.
INGREDIENTS (1 cup = 250 ml)
ingredients for rava idli
- 1 cup rava (sooji or semolina or cream of wheat)
- ½ cup dahi - fresh or sour (yogurt or dahi)
- 1 generous pinch baking soda * check notes
- 2.5 to 3 tablespoon water or more - add accordingly and as required to get a medium consistency batter - which is neither thick nor thin.
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped (adrak)
- 10 to 12 cashews, chopped (kaju)
- 2 to 3 teaspoon ghee or oil for roasting the rava
- 1 teaspoon oil for frying the cashews
- salt as required
for tempering rava idli:
- 1 to 2 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 teaspoon chana dal (split and husked bengal gram)
- 10 to 12 curry leaves, chopped (kadi patta)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
HOW TO MAKE RECIPE
heat 2 tsp ghee or oil in a pan.
add the rava (sooji) and roast in the ghee or oil till they become aromatic and change color.
keep on stirring often when roasting them.
remove the roasted rava in a mixing bowl and keep aside.
preparing tempering for rava idli:
- in the same pan, heat 1 tsp oil again and fry the cashews in the ghee.
- remove and add the fried cashews to the rava in the mixing bowl.
- in the same pan, add 1 tsp oil more and heat it.
- splutter mustard seeds. then add chana dal, curry leaves & asafoetida. fry till the chana dal become golden.
making rava idli batter:
then add this whole mixture to the roasted rava.
add curd (yogurt) along with chopped ginger, green chilies and salt.
- add water as required and make a batter which is neither thin nor thick.
keep aside covered for 20-30 minutes.
after 20-30 minutes, if the batter looks thick, then add a few tablespoons of water to get a medium consistency. rava absorbs water and so the batter might thicken after 20 to 30 minutes.
steaming rava idli:
- heat water in a steamer, electric cooker or pressure cooker.
- just before steaming, add baking soda in the batter and mix well.
- pour the rava idli batter in greased idli moulds.
place the idli stand in the electric cooker, steamer or pressure cooker.
steam the rava idlis for 10-12 minutes or more till a tooth pick inserted in the idlis come out clean.
remove the instant rava idlis from the mould and serve the steaming hot rava idlis hot with idli podi or with your favorite coconut chutney and sambar.
tips for making rava idli recipe:
- you can easily add upto ¼ tsp of baking soda. since i don't like the soapy aroma of baking soda, i have added a generous pinch.
- you can also add eno or fruit salt in place of baking soda. add ½ to ¾ teaspoon of eno or fruit salt.
how to make instant rava idli recipe:
1. heat 2 to 3 tsp oil or ghee in a pan. add 1 cup rava/sooji and roast till they become aromatic and change color. keep on stirring often when roasting them. remove the roasted rava in a mixing bowl and keep aside.
2. in the same pan, heat 1 tsp oil and fry 10-12 cashews till light golden. remove and add the fried cashews to the rava in the mixing bowl.
3. in the same pan, add 1 tsp oil more and heat it. crackle 1 tsp mustard seeds. then add 1 tsp chana dal, 10-12 curry leaves and a pinch of asafoetida. fry till the chana dal become golden.
4. add this whole mixture to the roasted rava along. add ½ cup curd/yogurt & salt along with ½ inch chopped ginger and 1 chopped green chili.
5: add water as required and make a batter which is neither thick nor thin in consistency. keep aside covered for 20-30 mins. after 20-30 minutes, if the batter looks thick, then add a few tablespoons of water to get a medium consistency. rava absorbs water and so the batter might thicken after 20 to 30 minutes.
6. just before steaming, add a pinch of baking soda in the batter and mix well. you can also add ½ to ¾ tsp eno/fruit salt in place of baking soda. pour the rava idli batter in greased idli moulds. i do not prefer the soapy smell of baking soda, hence i have added a pinch. you can add upto ¼ tsp of baking soda, if you are fine with it.
7. steam the rava idlis in an electric cooker, steamer or pressure cooker for 10-12 mins or more till a tooth pick inserted in the idlis come out clean.
8. remove the rava idlis from the mould and serve the steaming rava idlis hot with idli podi or with your favorite coconut chutney.