punjabi wadi chawal recipe – this is a request post. one of my readers requested for recipes made with punjabi wadis.
these are homemade wadis…. wadis are basically spiced & sun dried lentil dumplings. you can either make them at home or buy the ready ones.
these wadis which my mil made, were neither hot nor spicy. the rice is cooked with the wadis and is mildly spiced plus flavorful.
the wadis are a good protein substitute and makes for a good intake of protein in your meals.
the recipe can be made with any wadis, even moong dal wadis aka mangoris and also amritsari wadis.
you can also make the same dish with any protein substitutes for the wadis.
- vegetarian substitutes- paneer, cooked chickpeas
- vegan substitutes – tofu, tempeh or even good quality soy nuggets.
punjabi wadi chawal recipe details below:
- 1.5 cups rice
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 8-10 wadis
- 3.5 cups water
- 2 tablespoon oil or ghee
- salt as required
- a few coriander leaves for garnishing (dhania patta)
- heat oil in a pan.
- splutter the cumin seeds.
- add chopped onion and then fry till golden.
- now add ginger-garlic paste and fry till the raw aroma disappears.
- add tomatoes and fry them till they become pulpy.
- now add all the dry spice powders plus green chilies and saute the whole masala till the oil separates.
- add the rice and mix well.
- rinse the wadis in water and add it to the rice.
- pour water.
- add salt and cover the pan.
- cook the rice till done.
- serve wadi chawal hot garnished with coriander leaves.
- you can also make the wadi chawal in pressure cooker. in this case just add 3 cups water.
- the recipe can also be made in ghee instead of oil.