Pudina Dal: Moong Dal Recipe flavored with Pudina-Mint leaves
As I have mentioned before in one of my posts…. Pudina or Mint is one of my favorite herb. Since I had quite a bunch of fresh mint leaves in my kitchen, I decided to add it to the plain moong dal. And the result was an aromatic tasty dal. Quite different from the usual bland taste of the moong dal. The Pudina/Mint changed the taste of the dal completely.
This is a simple, easy and quick moong dal recipe. I have used mint and garlic for the flavorings. I have not used onions and tomatoes in this recipe. you might also love to check palak dal, dal fry, dal tadka and dal makhani.
- 3/4 cup spilt-skinned moong dal
- 2 tbsp chopped mint leaves or more if you like the minty taste
- 3-4 garlic cloves chopped finely
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Clean and wash the moong dal.
- Pressure cook the moong dal with garlic, turmeric powder and salt.
- Open the pressure cooker. Add chopped mint leaves and let the dal simmer in the pressure cooker for 3-4 mins.
- In a small pan, heat ghee. Fry the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- Pour this tempering/tadka mixture in the dal.
- Serve the Mint Dal with rice, chapatis or parathas.