a difficult task of selecting 11 popular recipes from punjabi cuisine which is known for its richness and tasty food.
i am sure, i must have left some of your favorite punjabi recipes as i had to let go of few of my favorite punjabi dishes too like langarwali dal, punjabi kadhi, gajar ka halwa, bread pakora, amritsari paneer tikka, sooji halwa, rice kheer and besan ladoo. please feel free to write the name of your favourite punjabi recipe in the comment section below. here by i start with my selected list.
11 popular punjabi recipes
1. rajma recipe – almost a staple in every punjabi home. the combo of rajma with chawal (rice) or rajma with roti goes great. i should not forget mentioning about jammu rajma masala which are popular and are as tasty as punjabi rajma. i have also shared restaurant style rajma masala recipe.
2. chole recipe – there are many variations of punjabi chole recipes. the chole or chickpea recipe could be dry, semi dry or curry version. even the taste varies from sour to spicy depending upon the recipe. few variations of chole are amritsari chole, chana masala, pindi chole, methi chole, palak chole and aloo chole. chole goes well with roti, rice, bhature, naan or poori.
3. dal makhani – one of the most popular lentil recipe of india and lifeline of punjabi dhabas. dal makhani goes well with roti, rice or parathas. a generous amount of makhan or white butter is added to this creamy dal. you can also check this restaurant style dal makhani, dal fry, dal bukhara and dal tadka recipe.
4. aloo paratha – one of the most popular paratha recipe and often prepared for breakfast in punjabi homes. other popular parathas made in punjabi homes are gobi paratha, onion paratha, mooli paratha and paneer paratha. parathas are served with mango pickle, curd or topped with butter.
5. chole bhature – popular street food as well as a breakfast recipe. while talking about chole bhature, i must mention matar kulcha which is a close cousin to chole bhature and is popular in punjab and delhi. one of the best kulchas are served in amritsar, punjab. few popular variations of kulcha are plain kulcha, aloo kulcha and paneer kulcha.
6. paneer butter masala – one of the most popular paneer recipe of india. creamy and delicious. its the vegetarian version of butter chicken. since the smooth tomato based gravy or sauce that is made for butter chicken is also used in paneer butter masala. few more similar popular paneer recipes are paneer tikka masala, tawa paneer masala, paneer tikka, paneer pasanda and paneer masala recipe.
7. sarson da saag – sarson da saag is served with makki di roti and this combo is one of the popular delicacy of punjab. usually made in winters in bulk as the taste of saag gets better and better with each passing day. usually in our home saag is enjoyed for 4-5 days. other variations of saag are palak saag and saag paneer.
8. kadai paneer – kadai paneer is another punjabi recipe which is popular all over india. few more popular punjabi paneer recipes are palak paneer, matar paneer, kadai paneer gravy, paneer bhurji gravy and dry paneer bhurji.
9. bhindi masala – simple yet awesome bhindi masala served with rotis or phulkas is another top punjabi dish. usually accompanied with a bowl of yogurt. other veggie dishes which are popular in punjabi homes are baingan bharta, bhindi masala gravy, aloo matar curry, aloo choliya and lauki wadi.
10. aloo gobi – this humble dish is made with minimal ingredients. tasty as well quick dish which goes well with roti. the recipe can be dry, semi dry or in a curry. few variations with other veggies are aloo gobi matar, aloo methi, gajar matar or aloo matar.
11. sweet lassi – lassi is popular for its taste as well as for much needed coolness it gives to the body in hot summers of punjab. lassi is served in all punjabi dhabas and is made to be served with breakfast in most punjabi homes. there are many variations of lassi like salted lassi, mango lassi, strawberry lassi and masala lassi.