eggless pomegranate mousse recipe – this is a vegan recipe to make pomegranate mousse.
there is no animal product like gelatin or milk/cream in the recipe. the whole mousse is made in cashew milk. generally i don’t use eggs and gelatin in mousse.
for vegans, i would suggest them to make the mousse in cashew or almond milk. vegetarians can make the mousse with dairy milk. avoid using soy milk in this recipe as it will have the soy taste in the mousse.
the thickening agent i always use for making mousses is agar-agar. if you live in india, you can easily get agar-agar sticks or flakes in any super-store. agar-agar is basically made from a sea weed. whereas gelatin is a product derived from animal bones. so for vegetarians or vegans, agar agar is a good option for making mousses or puddings. read more about agar agar here.
as a tip, always cut the agar agar sticks to small pieces with kitchen scissors. it helps in dissolving them quickly when you cook them and you get a smooth mixture.
i have used fresh pomegranate juice but you can make the same mousse with ready pomegranate juice. the mousse has a wonderful taste of the pomegranate. it is smooth and creamy, plus healthy too. in the recipe details, i have mentioned both ways of making the mousse with cashew milk and dairy milk.
eggless pomegranate mousse recipe below:
- 2 large pomegranates - yields approx 2 cups of pomegranate arils and approx 1 &1/4 cup juice
- 5-6 tbsp organic golden sugar (adjust accordingly)
- 10-12 strands of agar agar, approx 2 tbsp of chopped agar-agar
- 2 cups cashew milk or dairy milk or almond milk - check the notes below on how to make cashew milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla powder or 1 tsp vanilla extract or ½ vanilla bean from which the tiny vanilla seeds are scraped off
- remove the arils from the pomegranates.
- reserve some for garnish.
- blend the arils in a blender and then strain the juice.
- chop the agar agar to small pieces with kitchen scissors.
- soak the agar agar in 1 cup water.
- after 5 minutes, in a saucepan, cook the agar agar-water mixture on a medium flame stirring the mixture.
- first boil and then simmer for 10-15 minutes till the agar agar melts.
- the water will reduce and you should see a gelatinous liquid mixture.
- switch off the flame and pour the cashew/almond or dairy milk.
- stir and add pomegranate juice and sugar.
- stir again and just warm the mixture.
- don't heat or boil. the mixture should just get warm.
- don't make it hot or boil as the cashew milk will become slimy.
- the dairy milk can be heated for some more time though but don't boil.
- when the mixture is still hot, pour in serving glasses or bowls.
- let the mousse cool down at room temperature.
- then place them in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours, till the pomegranate mousse sets.
- garnish with some pomegranate arils or chocolate sprinkles.