collection of 14 poha recipes. poha also known as parched rice or flattened rice is a commonly used ingredient in indian cuisine. from poha various recipes can be made for breakfast as well as snacks.
two varieties of poha are found in the market – thick poha and thin poha. for most recipes listed below you can use either of them. but if making potato poha or onion poha, then use the thick poha. also apart from white poha, red or brown poha is also available in indian markets. so you can use these too. the recipe list below covers recipes where poha is one of the main ingredient.
collection of 14 poha recipes:
1. poha idli recipe – soft, light and fluffy idlis made with poha, rice and urad dal. these poha idlis are so soft that you would love them to dunk in sambar and coconut chutney. in fact even a veg korma will go very well with them.
2. poha dosa recipe – this soft dosa recipe is an andhra speciality and also known as atukula dosa. this is one dosa which is amazingly soft, spongy, porous and stays so even after some hours. excellent for tiffin boxes with some dry chutney and sambar.
3. potato poha recipe – we used to simply call this dish pohe. potato poha used to be quite a regular breakfast recipe at my place. its a quick, easy and healthy dish to make. a popular breakfast recipe in maharashtra. few more popular breakfast recipes from maharashta are misal pav, sabudana khichdi and poori bhaji.
4. poha ladoo recipe – quick and delicious poha ladoo made with thick poha, jaggery and ghee. these poha ladoos are not only quick to make but also make for a good sweet snack for kids. you can even make it during poojas or during festivals. i have compiled the list of all ladoo recipes on blog in this post – 22 ladoo recipes.
5. poha upma recipe – one more easy to make breakfast recipe with poha. both upma and poha are one of the regular breakfast at home. they are quick to prepare and healthy too. the poha upma recipe is actually a variation of south indian upma made with poha. few more popular upma recipes on blog are oats upma, bread upma, idli upma and tomato upma.
6. chura matar recipe – UP style recipe of matar poha. chura matar is an evening snack which is popular and made in many homes in uttar pradesh during the winters. fresh green peas (matar) are available only during winters and there are some recipes that taste good with fresh green peas only like – matar khasta kachori, bengali peas kachori, peas parathas, matar pulao.
7. poha cutlet recipe – easy snack recipe of mix veg poha cutlet recipe. these poha cutlets taste best when they are served hot or warm. you can pair them up with mint chutney, coconut chutney or tomato ketchup. you can also check this veg cutlet recipe.
8. kanda batata poha recipe – one of the staple breakfast recipe from maharashtra made with onions (kanda), potato (batata) and flattened rice. poha is a easy, quick and healthy option for breakfast or brunch or as a snack. other popular breakfast recipes on blog are masala dosa, bread pakora, rava idli, rava dosa, aloo paratha and besan cheela recipe.
9. kanda poha recipe – onion poha is a popular maharashtrian breakfast recipe. poha is the maharashtrian word for flattened and kanda means onions. hence the term kanda poha or kanda pohe (pohe being plural of poha). few more tasty recipes where you can use onions are onion paratha, onion pakora, onion uttapam and onion rava dosa.
10. instant idli recipe with poha – as the name suggests this is quick method of preparing idlis. no fermentation is required. poha makes these idlis light and fluffy. in the recipe i have ground urad dal, but you can also use readymade urad dal flour. if you like idli-dosa then have a look at these collections of 12 idli recipes and 28 dosa recipes. i have also shared the recipe of instant idli and instant dosa recipe.
11. sweet poha recipe – a sweet snack made with poha, jaggery, milk, coconut and banana. this is one of those quick fix recipes to feed hungry kids. sometimes i make this even with coconut milk. a similar recipe from the karnataka cuisine is this banana rasayana recipe.
12. namkeen chivda recipe – chivda (chiwda) is made by many families during diwali. basically chivda or namkeen as we call, is a savory sweet or spicy mixture. there are many variations of making chivda. this recipe makes use of thick poha or aval (flattened rice), dry fruits and spices and is a maharashtrian version. i have also shared the recipes of sabudana chivda, oats chivda and corn flakes chivda recipe.
13. thin poha chivda recipe – a maharashtrian style quick snack made from thin poha, dry fruits, peanuts, and spices. this version of poha chivda is made mostly during diwali festival as a savory snack. other popular snacks which are made during diwali festival are chakli, butter murruku, karanji, namkeen shankarpali and sweet shankarpali.
14. set dosa recipe – very soft, light and spongy dosa. these soft dosas are called as set dosa as they are served in a set of 3 dosa per serving. serve set dosa with your favorite coconut chutney, veg sagu or potato sagu or veg korma or sambar.