i do have both fresh coconut and dessicated coconut in my kitchen most of the times. but there are occasions when there is no trace of any coconut. either the organic vegetable delivery has not yet come or the dessicated coconut has got over or i feel lazy to grate coconut.
we generally have a typical indian breakfast in the mornings. either its idli or dosa or poha or parathas. so when i make idli or dosa during breakfast time. i have to make some chutney right, to go with the soft idlis or the crisp dosas. so on such occasions, i make a quick peanut chutney. and what if there are no peanuts. then i make coriander chutney 🙂
now you have to try this peanut chutney to know how good it is. there are sesame seeds as well as roasted chana dal (bengal gram) also in the chutney. so this is a healthy chutney recipe for you.
unlike coconut chutney this peanut chutney won’t get spoiled or rancid if you add it to tiffin box or keep it out. so for a tiffin box having idli or dosa, you can add this peanut chutney to it. but do this only on the day when you make the chutney.
i make this peanut chutney and refrigerate it. stays good for 5-6 days. whenever i make light snacks i serve this chutney or with the family favorite – idli and dosa.
peanut chutney recipe details below:
- ¼ cup peanuts/moongphali
- ¼ cup roasted chana dal/bengal gram
- 1-2 green chili or dry red chilies
- ¼ inch ginger/adrak
- ½ tbsp sesame seeds
- 12-15 curry leaves/kadi patta
- 1 or 2 tsp oil
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- salt as required
- water as required
- heat oil in a pan.
- fry the peanuts on a low to medium flame for 3-4 minutes.
- add the curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- lastly add the roasted chana dal, sesame seeds & asafoetida and fry for 2-3 minutes more on a low flame.
- take care that you don't over brown or burn this mixture, else the chutney might have bitter tones.
- let this mixture warm or cool down.
- add in a chutney grinder or a small blender.
- add in the ginger, green chilies and salt.
- pour some water and grind the peanut chutney to a smooth consistency.
- you can make the peanut chutney thick or of medium consistency.
- check the salt and add more if required.
- serve peanut chutney with idli, dosa, medu vada, uttapam or pakoras.
steps to make this awesome peanut chutney recipe:
1: heat oil in a pan. add the peanuts and fry them in the oil till they start changing color. fry for about 3-4 minutes on a low to medium flame.
2: now add curry leaves and fry for a minute.
3: lastly add the sesame seeds, roasted chana dal and fry for 2-3 minutes.
4: let this mixture cool. add green chilies, ginger & salt and grind the mixture with some water to a smooth consistency. serve peanut chutney with idli or dosa or even pakoras or store in an air-tight container and refrigerate and use whenever required.Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media