collection of 85 indian paneer recipes – paneer or cottage cheese is an ingredient which is popular in the indian vegetarian cuisine.
paneer dishes can be made in various ways, either as a dry curry or with gravy. it can be combined with veggies like peas, potatoes, capsicum, spinach or even with mushroom.
to make the paneer recipes, you can either buy ready made cottage cheese from market or you can also make paneer at home. i always prefer to make paneer at home since its cheaper and also more hygienic. homemade paneer is softer and better than the store brought one.
paneer is often made on festive or celebratory occasions. also when there are guests at home. some of the paneer recipes mentioned below can be made, when guests arriving or you want to make a special dish for an occasion. you can also have a look at these useful veg recipes collections:
- top 10 dal recipes
- 10 best rice recipes
- top 10 veggie recipes
- 10 best main course recipes
- top 10 restaurant style veg recipes
- collection of 60 mushroom recipes
all paneer recipes in this below collection are tried and tested. for ease of reading i have divided this paneer recipes collection into 5 categories in the following order:
- 33 paneer curry recipes
- 12 dry paneer recipes
- 28 paneer snacks recipes
- 4 paneer recipes with rice
- 8 paneer sweets recipes
33 paneer curry recipes:
1. paneer butter masala recipe – an easy, quick and delicious recipe of paneer butter masala. within minutes you can prepare this restaurant style paneer butter masala at home. this is a tried and tested fool proof recipe and is one of most popular paneer recipe on the blog.
2. palak paneer recipe – this delicious palak paneer recipe is my mom’s version of making this dish. she has been making this recipe for years now. it has become a favorite with all of us.
3. kadai paneer gravy recipe – slightly spicy, tangy and delicious kadai paneer recipe. it is one of the most easy to prepare yet delicious paneer recipe. in india, the kadai is used as an utensil for deep frying as well as to make many dishes like kadai mushroom, kadai chole, veg kadai, kadai mushroom gravy.
4. matar paneer recipe – spiced and creamy curry made with green peas and cottage cheese. its a simple and easy recipe for matar paneer. this recipe is not restaurant style but a simple homemade dish. the kinds which make for a homely comforting meal.
5. shahi paneer recipe – shahi means royal and as the name suggest this is a royal paneer dish. literally translated to royal cottage cheese. dry fruits, yogurt, saffron, whole spices and sometimes cream is added to make this dish royal and rich. few more delicious mughlai recipes posted on the blog are veg masala, navratan korma, mughlai veg biryani, shahi tukra and badam milk.
6. malai kofta recipe – delicious melt in the mouth koftas in a creamy, rich, mild and lightly sweet gravy. malai kofta is a popular as well as most sought after vegetarian indian dish in restaurants. other kofta recipes which are often made are – veg kofta, cabbage kofta curry, raw banana kofta, aloo kofta and lauki kofta recipe.
7. paneer makhani recipe – this is simple and easy to make delicious paneer makhani recipe. the flavors of this dish is more home style and its not a restaurant style recipe. the gravy is lightly spiced with a hint of tang and sweetness.
8. paneer tikka masala recipe – super delicious restaurant style paneer tikka recipe. this paneer tikka masala recipe is pretty rich and heavy. the sauce is made with onions, tomato puree, yogurt and cream. this recipe is favorite with many and a popular punjabi dish on the blog.
9. palak paneer recipe restaurant style – this is one of the best palak paneer recipe with restaurant style taste that you can easily make at home. the dhungar or charcoal smoking method used in this recipe really perks the flavor in the dish. two more popular restaurant style recipes where i have used dhungar method are – dal makhani and dal tadka recipe.
10. chilli paneer recipe – a spicy and saucy indo chinese recipe of chilli paneer. it is one of the most sought after indo chinese paneer recipe.
11. paneer lababdar recipe – easy to prepare restaurant style delicious paneer lababdar recipe. paneer lababdar is a popular paneer gravy dish and can be found on the menu of many restaurants. this recipe is more punjabi style than mughlai style with the use of onions, tomatoes, cashews and spices.
12. paneer masala recipe – a rich and delicious paneer curry made in an onion-tomato-cashew base. along with paneer, you can also add some steamed green peas (matar) and potatoes in the recipe. this paneer masala gravy is best served with chapatis, rotis or naan. you can also serve this paneer curry with plain rice or jeera rice or masala rice or biryani rice.
13. paneer makhanwala recipe – paneer in a buttery, creamy, tangy and mildly sweet sauce. this paneer makhanwala recipe has restaurant like flavors and taste. paneer makhanwala and veg makhanwala is often seen in the restaurant menus.
14. methi malai paneer recipe – creamy, mildly sweet gravy with hints of bitterness from methi leaves. this methi malai paneer recipe is roughly adapted from the methi matar malai recipe i make. the recipe uses fresh fenugreek leaves and i do suggest to add them. but if you are not able to get them, then substitute with dry fenugreek leaves or kasuri methi
15. paneer pasanda recipe – a rich and delicious recipe of shallow fried stuffed paneer sandwiches in a smooth, creamy onion-tomato based gravy. restaurant style paneer pasanda recipe.
16. matar paneer dhaba style recipe – delicious and spicy dhaba style matar paneer recipe made with green peas and paneer. this matar paneer has the flavors and taste of dhaba like food in it. the recipe is also easy. i have made the entire recipe in a pan. but you can even use a pressure cooker to save time. few morfe dhaba style recipes on blog are:
17. paneer korma recipe – creamy, royal and delicately flavored delicious paneer korma with a white gravy.
18. methi paneer recipe – easy and delicious paneer curry recipe with bitter hints of fresh fenugreek leaves in a tangy tomato based gravy. apart from tomatoes even onions, curd and cream are added in the gravy. so the final taste is like a restaurant style gravy. for more methi leaves you can check this collection of 20 methi recipes.
19. paneer manchurian recipe – sweet, sour, umami indo chinese recipe of paneer manchurian. this paneer manchurian recipe is easy to make. instead of paneer, you could also use tofu for this recipe. few more delicious manchurian recipes on the blog are mushroom manchurian, gobi manchurian and veg manchurian.
20. paneer bhurji recipe – spiced and easy to prepare scrambled paneer in a gravy or curry base. fairly simple and easy and you don’t need to grind or puree anything. this recipe is my mom’s recipe of making the bhurji with a tari or rassa or gravy.
21. aloo paneer recipe – tasty and easy to prepare is this potato paneer curry that goes well with chapatis or rotis. the recipe shared here is punjabi aloo paneer masala with a creamy and tangy onion-tomato based gravy.
22. paneer gassi recipe -a delicious curry from the mangalorean bunt cuisine. the gravy has complex and bold flavors. lots of spices and coconut is used to make this aromatic curry. a few more delicious recipes from mangalorean cuisine on blog are:
23. paneer kolhapuri recipe – spicy and delicious kolhapuri style paneer gravy recipe. kolhapuri cuisine is best known for its spicy, hot and robust flavors. a few gems that i have already shared from the kolhapuri cuisine are veg kolhapuri and akkha masoor recipe.
24. achari paneer recipe – creamy as well as robust flavored paneer gravy with achari masala or pickling spices. this is a really good achari paneer recipe. the robustness of the pickling spices or achari masala makes its presence felt without getting over powered.
25. paneer butter masala recipe without onion and garlic – creamy, tangy and a spiced tomato and paneer based dish made without onion and garlic. you can make this recipe during navratri fasting by skipping the asafoetida, garam masala powder, kasuri methi and adding rock salt instead of regular salt.
26. palak paneer recipe (no onion no garlic version) – tasty palak paneer recipe made without onion and garlic. even without onion and garlic, this palak paneer tastes good. on some days like ekadashi, ganesh chaturthi and festivals like navratri and mahashivratri, i prepare food without onion and garlic. few of the popular no onion no garlic recipes on blog are pav bhaji, aloo gobi, palak dal, aloo matar and moong dal khichdi recipe.
27. paneer schezwan recipe – easy and quick recipe of spicy chilly paneer schezwan gravy. this is a spicy recipe as along with schezwan sauce, even green chillies are added. you can control the amount of schezwan sauce or green chilies you want to add and make a less spicy version.
28. paneer kalimirch gravy recipe – one of the lesser known but equally tasty gravy based dish made with paneer is paneer kalimirch. kalimirch or black pepper is the highlight of this restaurant style paneer recipe.
29. mix veg curry recipe – this north indian punjabi style mix veg gravy recipe is a family favorite and my mom’s recipe. its tastes delicious with phulkas, parathas or pooris. the best part of this mix veg sabzi recipe is that you can use spare veggies that are in your kitchen and make a one pot tasty mix veg curry. in this recipe, the vegetables are cooked in their juices. this takes a little longer but the result is great.
30. mushroom paneer masala recipe – this paneer mushroom curry is a restaurant style recipe with a super delicious taste. the gravy is creamy, slightly tangy and mildly sweet with tender mushrooms and soft paneer in it.
31. mix vegetable recipe – delicious and tasty north indian style fried mix veg recipe. this mix veg recipe has the typical punjabi flavor and taste to it. the recipe calls for frying the vegetables. since the vegetables are fried and cream is used, the recipe becomes rich in calories.
32. aloo matar paneer recipe – a tasty curry made with potatoes, green peas and paneer in an onion-tomato base. this is a simple and easy recipe with a home style taste.
33. paneer handi recipe – paneer handi is a delicious and creamy gravy cooked in a handi. if you do not have a handi, then you can still make paneer handi in a pan or a kadai (wok). i make this recipe similar to the recipe of veg handi.
9 dry or semi dry paneer recipes
1. kadai paneer recipe – restaurant style delicious semi dry curry made with paneer, capsicum and indian spices. the flavors of this restaurant style kadai paneer recipe comes from freshly pounded coriander seeds and kashmiri red chilies and yes adding freshly pounded spices do make a lot of difference to the food that we cook.
2. malai paneer recipe – soft, melt in the mouth creamy paneer recipe made easy and quick and also restaurant style. one of the best and quickest paneer recipes. the paneer cubes have a similar taste like that of malai paneer tikka.
3. chilli paneer restaurant style recipe – one of the favorite dishes from indo chinese cuisine is chilli paneer. this chilli paneer recipe gives restaurant style taste and flavor. you can serve chilli paneer with veg fried rice or schezwan fried rice or burnt garlic fried rice. it also goes well as a side dish with veg pulao or jeera rice or ghee rice.
4. tawa paneer masala recipe – this delicious tawa paneer recipe is one of the easiest and quick paneer recipe you can prepare. a delicious semi dry curry which can be cooked in less than 30 minutes. so easy that you can make these when you have unexpected guests at home or you want to cook something easy for dinner after a day’s hard work.
5. paneer bhurji recipe – a popular north indian breakfast recipe made from crumbled paneer. bhurji means scrambled. so in this dish, the paneer aka cottage cheese is scrambled. best to have paneer bhurji hot with some bread or rolls or pav/indian bread, rotis or parathas and a cup of hot tea. paneer bhurji can also be served as a side dish.
6. paneer khurchana recipe – easy, quick and delicious north indian semi dry curry made with paneer in a onion-tomato-capsicum base. this is a north indian punjabi paneer recipe which at times you will find in dhabas and restaurants.
7. chole paneer recipe – spicy and delicious punjabi curry made with paneer and chole (white chickpeas). punjabis love their chole masala, rajma masala, dal makhani, bread pakora and parathas. there are many variations of making chana recipe and this is one more delicious addition to an already big collection of chole recipes posted on the blog. few of the popular chole recipes are:
8. paneer jalfrezi recipe – tangy, mild and semi dry dish of paneer cooked with vegetables. this is one more easy paneer recipe. the preparation work is just slicing the veggies and making the tomato puree. if you use ready made tomato puree, then the prep work is halved.
9. paneer do pyaza recipe – a rich and tasty mughlai dish of soft succulent cottage cheese and plenty of onions in a creamy gravy. do pyaza means double the amount of onions or the onions are added twice. so if you like onions, then this dish is for you. there are some vegetarian do pyaza recipes, which are well known like bhindi do pyaza and mushroom do pyaza recipe.
10. mushroom paneer curry recipe – mildly spiced, delicious mushroom paneer curry recipe from the awadhi cuisine. its a really good dish of mushroom and paneer in a lightly spiced onion-tomato base. few more delicious recipes from awadhi cuisine are:
11. matar paneer bhurji – spicy blend of scrambled cottage cheese and peas with onions, green chilies, tomatoes and indian spices.
12. palak paneer bhurji recipe – a healthy variation to the regular paneer bhurji recipe. the bhurji tasted good and goes well with chapatis.
26 paneer snacks recipes:
1. paneer kofta recipe – melt in the mouth soft texture koftas with a crisp exterior. these aloo paneer kofta can be made for fasting/vrat or during navratri fasting or ekadashi fasting. just substitute the corn flour with fasting flours like water chestnut flour (singhare ka atta), buckwheat flour (kuttu ka atta) or arrow root flour.
2. paneer cutlet recipe – easy to prepare crisp and tasty cutlets made with paneer and mix vegetables. this paneer cutlet recipe is similar to the veg cutlet recipe. addition of paneer makes these cutlets have a soft texture and yet they are crisp from outside. few more tasty cutlet recipes you can check are:
3. paneer sandwich recipe – simple, easy and tasty breakfast or snack idea of grilled paneer sandwich. these sandwiches taste best with fresh paneer. for more popular sandwich recipes on blog are: veg pizza sandwich, club sandwich, mushroom sandwich, cheese chilli toast sandwich and veg sandwich recipe.
4. chilli paneer recipe – spicy and tasty indo chinese starter recipe of dry chili paneer. serve these dry chili paneer as starter snack or even roll them in chapatis and make a chili paneer wrap. this spicy paneer dish tastes best when served hot.
5. paneer tikka recipe on tawa – easy and fool proof recipe of a delicious paneer tikka on tawa or stove top or griddle. if you don’t have a tava then you can also make this tikka recipe in a frying pan.
6. paneer kulcha recipe – leavened flat breads stuffed with a spiced paneer filling. these kulchas remain soft even after cooking. unlike aloo kulcha, paneer kulcha is bit dry. so its better to serve these paneer kulchas with chana masala. you can also serve with curd. if you like such recipes you can also check bhatura, matar kulcha, chole bhature, cheese garlic naan and kulcha recipe.
8. dry paneer manchurian recipe – popular indo chinese snack of pan fried paneer cubes coated with a spicy, sweet and tangy sauce. few more manchurian recipes on the blog are mushroom manchurian, dry gobi manchurian, dry baby corn manchurian and veg manchurian recipe.
9. paneer 65 recipe – quick and easy to make spicy paneer 65 recipe from hyderabadi cuisine. in this recipe, i have kept everything easy and simple for a home cook. apart from paneer 65, you can also make aloo 65 and gobi 65,
10. paneer bread rolls recipe – this is a quick, easy and tasty snack recipe of spiced crumbled paneer stuffed in bread slices and then baked. few more delicious variations are:
- baked bread potato rolls (cheesy spiced potato filling)
- fried bread rolls (spiced mashed potato filling)
- cheese bread pakora
- stuffed bread pakora (spiced mashed potato stuffing)
11. achari paneer tikka recipe – yet another variation of the popular paneer tikka flavored with pickling spices. if you enjoy biting into pickle and relishing the sour taste of lemon or mango then you will like this recipe.
12. paneer pakora recipe – these tasty paneer pakoras are crisp from outside and soft from inside. you can have them as a snack or serve with rotis or bread. paneer pakoda is a popular pakora variety. other popular pakora varieties are:
13. instant paneer tikka recipe – this is a quick recipe to make delicious paneer tikka at home. in this recipe, there is no time used up for marination. just mix everything and then fry the tikka pieces individually or skewered in a tooth pic. the best part is you can shallow fry or pan fry the paneer tikkas. you can even fry the tikka on a tava or griddle.
14. paneer tikki recipe – an easy and quick recipe for making aloo paneer tikki. it is very simple, quick and has both paneer and potatoes. if you do not have paneer, it alright. i made the same recipe minus paneer and it was great. few more popular tikki recipes you can try are:
15. hariyali paneer tikka on tawa or pan – tasty paneer hariyali tikka recipe made on a tawa or pan. this recipe is simple and easy and gives a really good paneer tikka. since the paneer cubes are pan fried, they also become crispy. few more delicious tikka recipes on blog are:
16. paneer tikka pizza recipe – looks daunting but trust me this desi pizza is very easy to prepare and taste yum. this delicious paneer tikka pizza is a must try for folks who like paneer, pizza and desi indian flavors. if you are interested in more pizza recipes, then do read these recipes – vegetable pizza, whole wheat veg pizza, paneer bread rolls, margherita pizza, tawa pizza and bread pizza recipe.
17. paneer paratha recipe – indian flat bread made with cottage cheese. paneer paratha is one of the many popular paratha varieties from punjab. its an all time favorite paratha at home and is served in most restaurants as well as punjabi dhabas (road side eateries). parathas are popular breakfast recipes in punjabi homes and there are varieties of parathas made for breakfast like:
18. amritsari paneer tikka recipe – tasty starter snack of crisp shallow fried paneer cubes. the paneer cubes are marinated in a mixture of gram flour, spices, herbs and then fried. this tikka recipe comes from the city of golden temple – amritsar in punjab. two more delicious recipes from amritsar city are amritsari chole and amritsari dal recipe.
20. paneer pav bhaji recipe – paneer pav bhaji is a variation of pav bhaji. there are some variations of pav bhaji which you will get in mumbai and paneer pav bhaji is one of them. if you want to explore street of mumbai then you can check this post of 30 best mumbai street food recipes. few of the popular recipes are:
21. matar paneer toast sandwich recipe – a simple and healthy toast sandwich recipe made with paneer, matar (green peas) and spices. this recipe makes for an easy brunch or snack.
22. paneer koliwada recipe – tasty snack made with marinated and batter coated fried paneer cubes. you can serve paneer koliwada as a snack or even as starter with a north indian main course recipes like dal makhani, rajma masala, dum aloo or dal tadka.
23. palak paneer kathi rolls recipe – easy to prepare and tasty palak paneer wraps. the palak paneer wrap recipe shared here is a simple yet delicious palak paneer bhurji stuffed in a roti wrap along with onions & cheese. i have also shared recipes of:
24. hariyali paneer tikka recipe in oven – delicious paneer hariyali tikka recipe made in oven. the recipe i am sharing is a simple and easy recipe, but one which gives tasty paneer tikka.
25. paneer bhurji sandwich recipe – this yummy sandwich is stuffed with spiced paneer bhurji and then toasted or grilled. this is a quick paneer recipe as making paneer bhurji does not take time. in case, you have already prepared paneer bhurji, then you just need to toast the sandwiches. these sandwiches are good for a quick brunch, lunch box or for a cocktail party.
26. paneer cheese cutlet recipe – crisp and melt in the mouth are these pan fried cutlets made with paneer and mozzarella cheese. they are easy and quick to make and serve as a nice party snack or a finger food.
27. paneer cheese toast sandwich recipe – an easy yet delicious toast sandwich that can be made are these cheesy, spiced paneer cheese toast recipe. the entire paneer cheese toast recipe is made on a tawa.
28. malai paneer tikka recipe – a popular and delicious variety of paneer tikka that is served in restaurants is malai paneer tikka. malai tikka has mild light flavors as compared to the regular paneer tikka.
4 paneer recipes with rice:
1. paneer fried rice recipe – indian inspired delicious recipe of a mildly spiced paneer fried rice with mixed veggies. instead of paneer you can also use tofu. if you have leftover rice, then the recipe is easy and quick to make. a similar fried rice recipe i make with mushrooms is this mushroom fried rice. you can also have a look at schezwan fried rice recipe.
2. paneer pulao recipe – aromatic, delicious and mildly spiced paneer pulao recipe. for this paneer pulao, i have ground whole spices to make a fragrant pulao masala. its this masala, that gives a nice aromatic flavor to the pulao. few more delicious pulao recipes on blog are:
3. paneer biryani recipe – mildly spiced and delicious dum cooked layered paneer biryani. easy recipe as you just need to marinate the paneer cubes, layer with cooked rice and then dum cook. serve paneer biryani with raita like a onion-tomato raita or cucumber raita or boondi raita. few more delicious biryani recipes on blog are:
4. paneer biryani recipe in pressure cooker – a relatively easy and fool proof recipe of preparing delicious paneer biryani in pressure cooker. this biryani is layered and has the flavors of a dum cooked biryani. this paneer biryani recipe has been adapted from my popular pressure cooker veg biryani. few more delicious recipes you can make easily in pressure cooker are:
- cake recipe in pressure cooker
- carrot halwa in pressure cooker
- chocolate cake in pressure cooker
- mushroom biryani recipe in pressure cooker
- south indian veg biryani in pressure cooker
7 sweets recipes made with paneer:
1. quick kalakand recipe – two ingredient kalakand or indian milk cake recipe in 15 minutes. only two ingredients are required sweetened condensed milk and paneer or chenna. few more delicious sweets you can make with condensed milk are gajar halwa, coconut ladoo, milk peda, mango ice cream, coconut barfi and mango kulfi recipe.
2. gulab jamun recipe – an easy recipe of gulab jamun made with khoya or evaporated milk, paneer and all purpose flour (maida). these soft sugar syrup soaked balls are a treat always. few more sweets recipes you can make with khoya are khoya barfi, gujiya, kulfi, rava ladoo, coconut barfi, coconut ladoo, mawa cake. and milk peda recipe.
3. kala jamun recipe – easy and delicious recipe of kala jamuns made with khoya and paneer. these kala jamuns stay well for about a week in the fridge.
4. malai ladoo recipe – easy and delicious two ingredient malai or paneer ladoo recipe. these malai ladoos stay good for 4 to 5 days in the fridge. for more delicious ladoo recipes, you can check this collection of 22 ladoo recipes.
5. paneer barfi recipe – one easy recipe of soft sweet fudge made with cottage cheese, condensed milk and cream. few more tasty barfi recipes posted on the blog are kaju katli, carrot barfi, kaju barfi, dry fruits barfi, 7 cup barfi and mysore pak.
6. sukha gulab jamun recipe – these delicious dry gulab jamuns are made with khoya (evaporated milk solids) and paneer. dry is the english word for ‘sukha’ in hindi. as the name suggests these jamuns do not have sugar syrup served with them. hence these gulab jamuns are known as sukha jamuns.
7. paneer kheer recipe – quick and easy paneer kheer flavored with cardamom powder, saffron and rose water. always use fresh milk while making this kheer. for more delicious kheer recipes, you can check this collection of 24 kheer recipes.
8. chhena poda recipe – chenna poda is a delicious dessert popular in odisha. its made with chenna or fresh paneer. the entire dish is baked and can also be called paneer cake. its also said that chhena poda is the favorite sweet of lord jagannath (the presiding deity of puri jagannath temple in odisha). chena poda is also made during festivals like diwali or durga puja.
more recipes collection:
- top 10 eggless cakes recipes
- collection of 27 biryani recipes
- collection of 34 sandwich recipes
- collection of 101 diwali snacks recipes
- collection of 121 diwali sweets recipes