Read This Recipe in -> Hindi
paneer pakora recipe with step by step photos – these tasty paneer pakoras are crisp from outside and soft from inside.
paneer pakoda is a popular pakora variety. at my in law’s home, whenever we make pakoras, to be had for dinner with rotis, then many varieties of pakoras are made. usually paneer, aloo, gobi, onion and palak pakoras are must in that list.
generally when i make any pakora at home then i fry them once. but at my in law’s place, they use a different lengthy technique to make pakoras. they fry them twice. the first batch is half fried & then pressed lightly in your palms or pressed with a bowl. they are second time fried till crisp & golden. i usually don’t do this method because it is time consuming but you can give it a try as frying this way makes the pakora very crisp.
at home, we usually fry any pakora in mustard oil. frying in mustard oil gives a very good taste and flavor to the pakoras. plus mustard oil has an high smoking point which makes it good for deep frying.
these paneer pakoras can be had as a snack or with a cup of tea or if you are really fond of pakoras then make some more varieties of pakoras and have them with rotis or chapatis as we have.
if you want to make paneer at home then you can refer this post explaining the method to make paneer on stovetop. in case you are in a hurry, then there is a also quick method to make paneer in microwave.
paneer pakora or paneer pakoda recipe card below:
paneer pakora recipe - gram flour coated cottage cheese fritters.
- 125 to 150 grams paneer (cottage cheese)
- 1 cup besan (gram flour)
- 1 pinch turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 to 2 pinch red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 to 2 pinch garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds)
- ⅔ to ¾ cup water or as required
- salt as required
- mustard oil for deep frying
- some chaat masala for sprinkling
slice 125 to 150 grams of paneer into cubes or square
add 1 cup besan into a mixing bowl or vessel.
chop the paneer into cubes or squares.
next add 1 pinch turmeric powder, 1 to 2 pinches red chili powder, 1 to 2 pinches garam masala powder, 1 pinch asafoetida, ½ teaspoon carom seeds and salt. mix well.
pour ⅔ to ¾ cup water and mix well.
use a wired whisk to mix the batter. make a thick flowing smooth batter without any lumps. you have to add water as required to make this thick flowing smooth batter.
heat mustard oil for deep frying in a kadai or pan.
when the oil becomes hot, add the batter coated paneer cubes gently in medium hot oil.
when one side is light golden, gently flip the pakoras. continue to fry the paneer pakoras till golden and crisp on medium flame.
remove the pakoras with a slotted spoon. drain paneer pakoras on paper towels to remove excess oil.
serve hot paneer pakoras sprinkled lightly with some chaat masala with coriander chutney or tomato sauce.
- you can adjust the spice quantity as per your taste. i have made the paneer pakoras mildly spiced.
this approximate nutrition info is per serving:
how to make paneer pakora recipe:
1. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making paneer pakora.
2. slice 125 to 150 grams of paneer (cottage cheese) into cubes or square.
3. in a mixing bowl or vessel, take 1 cup besan (gram flour).
4. now add 1 pinch turmeric powder (haldi), 1 to 2 pinches of red chili powder, 1 to 2 pinches of garam masala powder, 1 pinch asafoetida (hing), ½ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain) and salt as required.
5. mix very well.
6. pour ⅔ to ¾ cup water and mix well.
7. use a wired whisk to mix the batter. make a thick flowing smooth batter without any lumps. you have to add water as required to make this thick flowing smooth batter.
8. dip the paneer cubes into the batter. coat them well.
9. heat mustard oil for deep frying in a kadai or pan. instead of mustard oil, you can use sunflower oil or peanut oil also for frying.
10. when the oil becomes medium hot, add the batter coated paneer cubes in the oil. keep the flame to medium.
11. when one side is light golden, gently flip the pakoras and continue to fry the second side.
12. flip a couple of times for even frying of the pakoras. when the pakoras become crisp and golden then remove them with a slotted spoon.
13. drain paneer pakoras on paper towels to remove excess oil.