palak raita recipe – i often make raitas and salads as side accompaniments along with the main dish at home. usually i make a simple indian onion tomato raita or cucumber raita. for special ocassions, its boondi raita.
this day green was calling me and so i made this simple and easy palak raita. since i had made chana pulao this day, i had to make a raita. and what better than having some greens in your raita. i have used cashew curd to make this palak raita.
palak raita recipe details below:
- 1 cup chopped and tightly packed spinach (palak)
- ½ teaspoon ginger, finely chopped (adrak)
- ¼ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
- ½ teaspoon cumin (jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 pinch turmeric (haldi)
- 1 pinch garam masala powder
- ¼ teaspoon saunf powder (fennel powder) - optional
- black pepper powder as required - optional
- 4-5 mint leaves, chopped (pudina patta)
- 1 cup yogurt (curd or dahi)
- 2 to 3 teaspoon oil
- rock salt or black salt as required
whisk the yogurt and keep aside.
heat oil. add the carom seeds and fry for few seconds.
add the chopped ginger and fry for some seconds
add the chopped spinach (palak).
add all the spice powders one by one along with salt.
saute till the spinach stops releasing water.
lastly add the mint and saute for 1-2 minutes.
add this mixture to the yogurt.
sprinkle some pepper. stir well.
you can refrigerate the raita for a couple of hours before serving.
serve palak raita as side accompaniments with a dal rice or roti sabzi or biryani or pulao. raita goes very well with rice based dishes.