palak raita recipe – i often make raitas and salads as side accompaniments along with the main dish at home. usually i make a simple indian onion tomato raita or cucumber raita. for special ocassions, its boondi raita.
this day green was calling me and so i made this simple and easy palak raita. since i had made chana pulao this day, i had to make a raita. and what better than having some greens in your raita. i have used cashew curd to make this palak raita.
palak raita recipe details below:
- 1 cup chopped and tightly packed spinach (palak)
- ½ teaspoon ginger, finely chopped (adrak)
- ¼ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
- ½ teaspoon cumin (jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 pinch turmeric (haldi)
- 1 pinch garam masala powder
- ¼ teaspoon saunf powder (fennel powder) - optional
- black pepper powder as required - optional
- 4-5 mint leaves, chopped (pudina patta)
- 1 cup yogurt (curd or dahi)
- 2 to 3 teaspoon oil
- rock salt or black salt as required
- whisk the yogurt and keep aside.
- heat oil. add the carom seeds and fry for few seconds.
- add the chopped ginger and fry for some seconds
- add the chopped spinach (palak).
- add all the spice powders one by one along with salt.
- saute till the spinach stops releasing water.
- lastly add the mint and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- add this mixture to the yogurt.
- sprinkle some pepper. stir well.
- you can refrigerate the raita for a couple of hours before serving.
- serve palak raita as side accompaniments with a dal rice or roti sabzi or biryani or pulao. raita goes very well with rice based dishes.