onion rava dosa recipe with step by step photos – this is a variation of the popular rava dosa recipe with onions. rava dosa is one of the easiest dosa to make since no grinding and no fermentation is required. you can also check this butter rava dosa recipe.
just mix all the ingredients and allow the batter to sit for 15 to 20 minutes and then you are ready to make the dosas. when the dosa batter is resting, you prepare the coconut chutney. the ease of this recipe makes it a good option for breakfast or even for brunch.
i have tempered the dosa batter with mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves. this tempering gives a really nice flavor to the dosa and does not take more than 5 minutes.
to make the batter, you can use water or buttermilk. sometimes i prepare the batter with water and sometimes with buttermilk. both ways the onion rava tastes good. the spices, herbs that go into the dosa give their own taste and flavor….. not to forget the presence of onions too.
hotel style instant onion rava dosa recipe below:
instant rava dosa recipe - easy lacy dosa made with semolina, rice flour, onions and all purpose flour. a quick breakfast option.
- ½ cup unroasted rava (sooji or semolina)
- ½ cup rice flour
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour (maida) Or whole wheat flour (atta)
- 1 green chili (hari mirch) - finely chopped
- 1 medium onion (pyaaz) - finely chopped Or about ½ cup of finely chopped onion
- 5 to 6 curry leaves (kadi patta) - chopped
- ½ inch ginger (adrak) - finely chopped (optional)
- water or buttermilk as required - i added 2.25 cups water *check notes on how to make the buttermilk
- 9 to 10 black peppercorns (sabut kali mirch) - crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta) - optional
- salt as required
- 1 teaspoon oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- oil or ghee as required for roasting the dosa
take the rava, rice flour, all purpose flour, green chilies, ginger, onion, coriander leaves, crushed black pepper in a mixing bowl.
heat 1 tsp oil in a small frying pan. crackle the mustard seeds first. the mustard seeds should pop before you add the cumin seeds. then add the cumin and curry leaves. saute for a few seconds till the cumin browns.
add this tempering mixture along with the oil to the other ingredients in the bowl. add salt.
pour water or buttermilk and make a thin batter without any lumps. the batter should not be thick or of medium consistency. if the batter becomes too thin, then add some rice flour to slightly thicken it. keep aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
heat the tava or non-stick pan. smear a bit oil with a slice of onion or a small piece of fabric or paper napkin.
with a ladle pour the dosa batter from the edges towards the center.
sprinkle ¼ or ½ or 1 tsp of oil from the top.
let the base becomes golden and crisp. flip and cook the other side. when both the sides are cooked, remove the dosa from the pan. prepare all the dosas this way.
serve the onion rava dosa hot with coconut chutney or vegetable sambar. onion rava dosa has to be served immediately.
*to make the buttermilk - dissolve 3 to 4 tbsp of yogurt in 2 cups of water. whip the buttermilk very well before you add it to the other ingredients.
step by step hotel style instant onion rava dosa recipe:
1. mix all the ingredients for the dosa like the rava, rice flour, all purpose flour, onions, green chilies, ginger, crushed black pepper.
2. heat 1 tsp oil in a small frying pan. crackle the mustard seeds first. then add the cumin and curry leaves. saute for a few seconds till the cumin browns.
3. add this tempering mixture along with the oil to the other ingredients. add salt too.
4. pour water or buttermilk and make a thin batter without any lumps. the batter should not be thick or of medium consistency. i added about 2 cups and ¼ cup water to the batter. if the batter becomes too thin, then add some rice flour to slightly thicken it. keep aside the onion rava dosa batter for 15 to 20 minutes.
5. heat the tava or non-stick pan. using a small piece of fabric or paper napkin or half of sliced onion which has been dipped in oil… grease the pan.
6. with a ladle pour the dosa batter. start from the edges and…..
7. move towards the center. if there are big gaps, then fill them lightly.
8. sprinkle ½ tsp oil from the top. rava dosa takes a little longer time to cook than regular dosa. the pan has to be really hot before you pour the batter.
9. let the base becomes golden or crisp. flip and cook the other side. usually i cook both the sides. but you can just cook the base and when the top is also cooked, fold the dosa and serve immediately. prepare all the dosas this way. the rava and the flours settles down at the bottom of the batter. so you have to stir the batter very well every time you make the dosa. in case the batter becomes thick after making a few dosas, then add some water and stir again.
10. serve the onion rava dosa hot with coconut chutney or vegetable sambar.Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes