mushroom roast recipe with step by step photos – this is a quick recipe that can be made with just mushrooms and a few indian spice blends or masala. there is no chopping of any other veggie for this recipe, except the mushrooms.
white button mushrooms work very well in this recipe, but even portobello mushrooms would be good. the whole dish takes not more than 15 minutes too cook. the recipe is too good and makes for a spicy starter snack.
this mushroom roast recipe here is north indian inspired. this recipe just happened as i wanted to make a mushroom side dish and did not want to spend a lot of time.
the mushrooms were the last dish i had to make for the day after all the cooking i had done. so when i finally made the dish, the taste was so good, that i decided to click the pics and post it too for all of you. why not share such a good recipe.
mushroom roast recipe card below:
mushroom roast recipe
INGREDIENTS (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 200 grams button mushrooms
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder or deghi mirch or ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon tandoori masala Or ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 tablespoon besan (gram flour)
- 2 tablespoon fresh yogurt, whisked till smooth (curd or dahi)
- 2 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania leaves)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
HOW TO MAKE RECIPE
preparation for mushroom roast recipe:
rinse the mushrooms first.
drain and wipe them dry.
- you can halve them or quarter them or even slice them.
making mushroom roast recipe:
- heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan. add the mushrooms. stir and saute the mushrooms.
- the mushrooms will take some minutes too cook.
- first they will start to sweat and you will see a lot of water in the pan.
- the water should dry up completely and the mushrooms should become golden from sides.
- you can cook the mushrooms on a low to medium flame.
- lower the flame and then add all the spice powders one by one - turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and tandoori masala or garam masala.
- stir for 4 to 5 seconds.
- add besan/gram flour and saute it on a low flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- remove the pan from fire and add beaten curd.
- stir well and season with salt.
- keep the pan on the stove top and saute for 4 to 5 minutes on a low flame till the mixture becomes dry and the masala has coated the mushrooms.
stir in coriander leaves and switch off the fire. serve the mushroom roast with lemon slices or wedges.
how to make mushroom roast recipe card below:
1. rinse 200 grams button mushrooms in water very well. make sure all the soil particles are washed away.
2. then drain them and wipe dry with a clean kitchen towel.
3. you can halve the mushrooms or quarter them or even slice them.
4. in a bowl, take 2 tablespoons fresh yogurt (dahi or curd).
5. beat with a wired whisk or spoon till yogurt is smooth.
6. measure all the ingredients and keep ready for making mushroom roast recipe.
making mushroom roast recipe:
7. heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan.
8. add the sliced mushrooms.
9. stir and saute the mushrooms on a low to medium flame.
10. the mushrooms will take some minutes too cook.
11. first they will start to release water and you will see a lot of water in the pan.
12. continue to saute the mushrooms till all the water dries up completely. then continue to saute till the mushrooms become golden from the edges.
13. then lower the flame and add all the spice powders one by one – ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi), ½ teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder, ½ teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder) and ½ teaspoon tandoori masala (or ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder).
14. mix very well and stir for 4 to 5 seconds.
15. then add 1 tablespoon besan (gram flour).
16. saute it on a low flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till the raw aroma of besan goes away.
17. remove the pan from flame and add the beaten curd (dahi or yogurt).
18. mix well.
19. season with salt.
20. keep the pan on the stove top.
21. saute for 4 to 5 minutes on a low flame.
22. saute till the mixture becomes dry and the masala has coated the mushrooms.
23. add 2 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta).
24. mix well and switch off the flame.
25. serve the mushroom roast with lemon slices or wedges as a side dish.