mushroom pulao recipe with step by step photos – quick and easy mushroom pulao in pressure cooker.
sharing a vegetarian version of goan pulao. again one of those pulaos which were made often at home. this pulao recipe is similar to the goan prawn pulao my mom makes at home. minus the prawns but delicious.
this is a simple, quick and extremely tasty pulao. it is a handy recipe when you have little time or are tired to cook and yet long for comfort homemade food. i have used button mushrooms in the pulao. though you can use any variety of fresh or dried mushrooms. you could also make this pulao with mixed veggies of your choice instead of mushrooms.
the addition of coconut milk in the pulao, gives it a rich taste. though if you do not have coconut milk, just add water. at times when there is no ready coconut milk, i add water and prepare the pulao. the entire dish is cooked in a pressure cooker. though you can also make the recipe in a pan.
serve this goan style mushroom pulao plain or with a side of onion-lemon salad or veggie salad or a raita.
Mushroom Pulao recipe below:
- 1½ cup basmati rice – you can use any type of long grained rice
- 1 packet of button mushrooms of about 200-250 gms
- 85 grams onion or 1 medium size onion, thinly sliced or finely chopped, about ⅓ to ½ cup sliced or chopped onions
- 1 medium size tomato or ⅓ cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium size potato, peeled & cubed (optional)
- 1 to 2 green chilies, chopped
- ½ tbsp ginger garlic paste or 1 inch ginger + 6 to 7 garlic, crushed in mortar-pestle
- 1 cup thick coconut milk (250 ml) + 1.5 to 1.75 cups water or an overall of 2.5 to 2.75 cups water (add depending on the quality of rice. usually most basmati rice which have been soaked for 20 to 30 mins before, requires about 2.5 cups water if you want separate grains. for a slightly more cooked texture, you can add 2.75 to 3 cups of water)
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt or sea salt as required
- whole spices:
- 1 tsp cumin/jeera (optional)
- 3 green cardamoms/hari elaichi
- 4 to 5 cloves/laung
- 6 to 7 black peppers
- 1 to 1.5 inches cinnamon/dal chini
- Clean, wash and soak the rice for 20 to 30 mins. When the rice is getting soaked, chop all the veggies. Rinse and chop the mushrooms too.
- Take all the whole garam masala and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil. Add the whole garam masala including cumin, and fry till they become fragrant. about few seconds.
- Add the onions and fry them till translucent.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and saute till the raw smell of the paste disappears.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes, potatoes and mushrooms. Saute for 8-10 minutes till the mushrooms are half cooked. Keep on stirring in between.
- Add the soaked rice and the chopped green chili.
- Saute the rice for 1-2 minutes stirring in between on a low flame.
- Add the coconut milk and water. Stir and season with salt.
- Pressure cook the rice for 2 to 3 whistles.
- When the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid and gently fluff the rice.
- Garnish with coriander leaves or mint leaves and serve mushroom pulao with sliced onions and lime. You could also have Mushroom Pulao with onion-tomato raita.
stepwise mushroom pulao recipe in pressure cooker:
1. pick, rinse and soak the rice for 30 mins. when the rice is getting soaked, chop all the onions, tomatoes, potatoes, green chilies. rinse and chop the mushrooms too. after 30 minutes, strain all the water and keep the soaked rice aside.
2. in a pressure cooker, heat oil. add the whole garam masala and saute till they splutter and become fragrant.
3. next add sliced onions.
4. stir and saute the onions on a low to medium flame till they become light golden.
5. then add the ginger-garlic paste or crushed ginger-garlic.
6. saute till the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic goes away. this takes just some seconds.
7. add the chopped tomatoes, green chilies & potatoes. you can also add about ⅓ cup of green peas at this step.
8. stir and saute for a minute.
9. now add the sliced or chopped button mushrooms.
10. saute for 4 to 5 minutes.
11. add the soaked rice.
12. saute the rice for 1 minute stirring gently on a low flame.
13. add the coconut milk.
14. next add water.
15. stir and mix very well.
16. now season with salt. stir again.
17. pressure cook the mushroom pulao for 2 to 3 whistles or for 9 to 10 minutes. if using a 3 litre cooker, pressure cook for 2 whistles and for a 2 litre cooker, pressure cook for 3 whistles.
18. when the pressure settles down on its own in the cooker, remove the lid. gently fluff the mushroom pulao.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media