Mushroom Pulao in Goan style!!!
Well… What does that mean? Well… this pulao recipe is similar to the goan prawn pulao my mom makes at home, but minus the prawns.
Yes, this is the vegetarian version of Goan Pulao. I am a vegetarian (becoming slowly slowly a vegan) by choice even though I was born in a non vegetarian family. I have been brought up with goan, konkan, kerala cuisine (mixed parenthood) and maharashtrian cuisine (mumbai and neighbourhood influence).
I have had the goan prawn pulao many times and those times too, I used to have the rice only and not the prawns. The taste of this pulao was exactly the way my mom makes.
I always long for comfort food at home and this is one such comfort food for me. I do miss my mom’s food and so try to create her recipes at home….replacing the non vegetarian ones with vegetable substitutes.
The goan prawn pulao is usually made with coconut milk. But my mom’s recipe does not have coconut milk. So this goan style mushroom pulao does not have coconut milk added to it. This is a lighter version of the goan pulao and is not at all heavy. It is simple, quick and extremely tasty pulao. It is a handy recipe when you have little time or are tired to cook and yet long for comfort homemade food.
Goan Styled Mushroom Pulao: 2-3 servings
Preparation Time: 5 mins to clean the rice and chop the vegetables + 15-20 mins for soaking rice
Cooking Time: 20-25 mins
Ingredients for Mushroom Pulao:
- 1½ cup basmati rice – you can use any type of long grained rice
- 1 packet of button mushrooms of about 200-250 gms
- 1 medium size onion
- 1 medium size tomato or 2 small tomatoes
- 1 medium size potato (optional)
- 1 green chili
- ½ tbsp ginger garlic paste or crushed ginger-garlic
- 2 green cardamoms
- 3 cloves
- 5-6 black peppercorns
- Cinnamon 1.5 0r 2 inches
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- salt or sea salt
Method to make Mushroom Pulao:
- Clean, wash and soak the rice for 15-20 mins. When the rice is getting soaked, chop all the veggies. Clean and chop the mushrooms too.
- Take all the whole garam masala and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil. Add the whole garam masala and fry till they pop up. Add the onions and fry the onions till transparent.This will take about 3-4 minutes on a low flame.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and saute till the raw smell of the paste disappears. This takes approx 1.5-2 minutes on a low flame
- Now add the chopped tomatoes, potatoes and mushrooms. Saute for 8-10 minutes till the mushrooms are half cooked. Keep on stirring in between.
- Add the soaked rice and the chopped green chili.
- Saute the rice for 3-4 minutes stirring in between on a low flame.
- Add 3 cups of water plus salt and pressure cook the rice for 3-4 mins or till done. Serve the yummy mushroom pulao with sliced onions and lime. You could also have this with onion-tomato raita.
- Enjoy the Goan Mushroom Pulao treat :-)
You might also like to check these other Mushroom Recipes:
- Mushroom Rice
- Mushroom Vindaloo
- Kadai Mushroom Recipe
- Mushroom Biryani E Dum Pukht
- South Indian Mushroom Biryani
- Mushroom Manchurian – Step by Step
- Indo Chinese – Quick Chilli Mushroom
- Dhingri Dolma : Awadhi Mushroom Paneer Recipe
printable version of Goan Mushroom Pulao recipe is below: