mushroom masala recipe with step by step photos. a simple and delicious goan style mushroom masala recipe made with fresh coconut and spices paste.
this mushroom curry is one of those recipes that my mom used to make. the recipe used to be originally made with clams. though, i make them with mushrooms. thus this is a vegetarian version of the goan tisryo masala. i have used button mushrooms for this recipe but you can also use portobello or cremini mushrooms.
the curry tastes very good. apart from the spice and heat in the recipe coming from red chilies, there is also a slight sour taste which comes from kokam (garcinia indica). if you don’t have kokams then just add tamarind. (i have mentioned the method in the notes section of the recipe card and also in the step by step pics).
onions are used twice in this mushroom recipe. first time onions are added in the ground spice paste. second time onions are sauteed with mushrooms. this is a semi dry curry recipe. though you can make the curry dry too. few more variations you can make are:
this mushroom masala tastes good with chapati, rice and even toasted bread. or you can serve mushrooms masala as a side dish with khichdi, pulao, dal-rice, sambar-rice or even as a quick meal with chapatis.
mushroom masala recipe card below:
mushroom masala recipe - a simple and delicious goan style mushroom curry recipe made with fresh spice paste and coconut.
- ¼ cup sliced onion
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, chopped OR 2 teaspoons chopped garlic (lahsun)
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut or desiccated coconut
- 2 pieces of 1 inch cinnamon sticks (dalchini)
- ½ teaspoon whole black pepper (sabut kali mirch)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds (sabut dhania)
- 4 to 5 cloves (lavang)
- 5 to 6 dry red kashmiri chilies
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1.5 tablespoons oil
- ¼ cup sliced onions
- 200 grams button mushrooms
- 5 to 6 kokams OR ½ teaspoon tamarind - (add tamarind while grinding the paste)
- salt as required
- rinse and then wipe dry 200 grams mushrooms.
- slice or chop the white button mushrooms.
- add all the ingredients mentioned under the list 'coconut+spice' paste in a mixer or grinder jar, except fresh coconut.
- dry grind the mixture coarsely. don't add water while grinding as we need a thick, coarse paste.
- now add 1 cup of fresh grated coconut and dry grind again. the reason for adding coconut and grinding twice is we need a thick paste without water. hence first we grind the spices and then grind the coconut along the spice paste.
- the paste has to be coarse and thick.
- heat 1.5 tablespoons oil in a pan.
- reduce the flame, add 1/4 cup of sliced onions and saute them till they turn translucent.
- add the chopped mushrooms.
- saute and stir the mushrooms for 1 to 2 mins on a low flame.
- add the ground spice paste. the mushrooms should be coated nicely with the masala paste.
- mix and stir well.
- add salt as required and mix again.
- add 5 to 6 kokams.
- cover with a lid and cook on a low flame.
- do check in between and you will see the mushrooms would have released water.
- simmer for some more time on a low to medium flame, till the gravy thickens and the mushrooms have cooked. you can keep this dish semi gravy or cook more if you want a dry consistency.
- switch off the flame. serve mushroom masala along chapati, rice or toasted bread.
if you don't have kokams then add 1/2 teaspoon tamarind and grind along the with the coconut.
how to make mushroom masala curry recipe:
1. rinse and then wipe dry 200 grams mushrooms. then slice or chop them. keep aside.
2. keep all the ingredients ready for the red masala paste:
4. add all the ingredients for the masala paste, minus fresh grated coconut in the mixer or grinder jar.
5. dry grind the mixture coarsely. don’t add water while grinding as we need a thick, coarse paste.
6. now add 1 cup of fresh grated coconut and grind again. do not add water. the reason for adding coconut and grinding twice is we need a thick paste without water. hence first we grind the spices and then grind the coconut along the spice paste. if using tamarind, then you can use add ½ teaspoon tamarind and grind it with the coconut.
7. the paste has to be coarse and thick, just like you can see in the pic below.
8. heat 1.5 tablespoons oil in a pan.
9. reduce the flame. then add ¼ cup sliced onions.
10. saute the onions on a low flame.
11. saute till they turn translucent.
12. then add the chopped mushrooms.
13. saute and stir the mushrooms for 1 to 2 minutes on a low flame.
14. add the ground spice paste.
15. mix and stir well. the mushrooms should be coated nicely with the masala paste.
16. add salt as required.
17. mix well.
18. add 5 to 6 kokams. if you have used tamarind then don’t use kokams.
19. cover with a lid and cook on a low flame.
20. do check at intervals. in the below pic, you will see that the mushrooms have released water.
21. simmer the mushroom curry on a low to medium flame, till the gravy thickens and the mushrooms have cooked. you can keep this dish semi gravy or cook more if you want a dry consistency.
22. switch off the flame. serve mushroom masala along chapati, rice or toasted bread.