Mirch Pakoras is an easy to make recipe and can be served as a side dish with dals, curd curry or any vegetable curry.
Its quick, simple and easy. I have made it plain and not stuffed the green chillies with potatoes or paneer stuffing. But you can stuff the green chillies with a stuffing of your choice.
In Mumbai, when you purchase or buy mix pakoras, you will also get mirch pakoras in it. Most sweet shops sell mix pakoras in Mumbai.
While writing this post, I remember having mirch pakoras in Goa. It was heavenly. We liked it so much, that we used to visit this place every alternate day or so, just to have the mirchi bhajiyas.
The green chillies that are used are a larger variety of chillies and they are not spicy as their smaller counterparts. One can use small green chillies also, but they would turn out to be too hot and spicy. These green chillies have a light green color and are known as bhaji/bhajji/bhajiya chillies.
To make it more yummy, you can stuff the chillies with mashed potaotoes or any other vegetable filling.
Now for the recipe of Mirch Pakora or Mirchi Bhajiya:
Ingredients for the Mirch Pakora:
- 6-7 green chillies or mirch
- oil for frying
For the besan-chickpea flour batter:
- 1 and 1/2 cup besan – chickpea flour
- 1/2 tsp chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- a pinch of asafoetida – hing
- 1 tbsp rice flour – optional
Method to make the Mirch Pakoras:
- Add all the dry ingredients to the batter.
- Add little water so as to form a thick batter. You could also use rice flour as it will make the pakoras crisp. I did not have rice flour, so I have not used it.
- Give 3-4 vertical slits on the green chillies. Take care not to break them.
- Dip them in the batter. Evenly coat the mirch (chillies) with batter and also apply some batter inside the slits.
- In a deep frying pan heat oil and deep fry them in oil till they turn golden brown and crisp.
- Serve Mirch Pakora with pav, bread or serve as a side dish.
you might also love to check these pakora recipes:
- palak pakora
- onion pakora
- bread pakora
- punjabi kadhi pakora
- mix vegetable pakora
- bread pakoras with cheese