Mint (Pudina in Hindi), a fragrant herb is used in Indian Cuisine in different ways. This simple and easy rice recipe has mint in it. Besides Mint, onion and whole garam masala no other flavorings are used. Thus the final result is a delicately flavored rice with mint, onions and garam masala.
Mint Rice – Pudina Rice goes very well with Dal Tadka, Dal Makhani, Dal Panchratna or curried vegetables/paneer dishes like Kadai Paneer, Paneer Makhanwala. If you are non-vegetarian it will go very well with Mughlai or Hyderabadi Meat/Chicken dishes. If you like mughlai dishes then you must try vegetable yakhni pulao and hyderabadi veg biryani.
I mostly make Mint rice instead of plain rice when I cook dal at home. I have made this recipe in the microwave, but you could make it in a pan or also in the pressure cooker.
So, here is the recipe for mint flavored rice, indian style for 2 people.
A few notes for Mint Rice recipe:
- The time for cooking varies with the microwave temperatures and also the quality of rice.
- If you do not soak the rice, then you have to increase the cooking time in microwave from 3 mins to 5 mins.
- Always cover the microwave container with a lid before cooking in the microwave.
- Always, use microwave safe bowls, containers and lids.
Mint Rice Recipe details below:
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 tsp ghee
- 2 cloves
- 1 small cardamom
- 1 big cardamom
- ½ inch piece of cinnamon
- 1 small bay leaf
- ½ tsp shahi jeera/caraway seeds
- 1 small onion sliced
- ½ cup chopped mint
- 2 cups water
- Clean, wash and soak the basmati rice for 30 mins.
- In a microwave cooker or microwave safe bowl, put the ghee. Microwave on high for 5-10 seconds.
- Now add the whole garam masala spices - cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon, bay leaf, caraway seeds and onions
- Microwave on high for 1 to 2 minutes. If the onions do not become transparent, microwave on high for another 30 seconds or 1 minute.
- Now add the soaked rice. Add the chopped mint along with 2 cups of water. Add salt. Mix the contents well.
- Microwave on high for 8-10 mins till the rice is done. If the rice is not done, then keep the mint rice for a few more minutes. If the mint rice has become dry, then add little water before keeping it in the microwave.