methi mushroom restaurant style recipe – this is a curried dish made with button mushrooms and methi (fenugreek leaves). this methi mushroom recipe was soooo good that inspite of not so nice photos i have to post it.
methi mushroom is a classic adaptation of the famous non vegetarian dish methi murgh. methi murgh is a famous north indian curry made with chicken, fenugreek and yogurt.
i have adapted this methi mushroom recipe from jiggs kalra’s prashad – cooking with indian masters. this dish is very easy to make… just some patience and time is required. this is definitely not a curry in a hurry 🙂
to make this dish, firstly the mushrooms are marinated in yogurt…..
and then cooked in the aromatic masala… the methi/fenugreek leaves gives a beautiful aroma to the dish…
instead of fresh methi/fenugreek leaves, you can also make the methi mushroom dish with dry fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi). the amounts are given below in the recipe details.
this methi mushroom dish goes very well with some rotis or naans and even some jeera rice. we had this with phulkas. our lunch and dinners are very simple and not complicated. if i don’t make dal, then i end up making simple gravy dishes like this with some phulkas and salad.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNELAdvertisements
so do try to make this finger licking methi mushroom. this is also one dish that can go on party menus or can be made on special occasions. it does taste restaurant style and pairs excellently with rotis or naans. vegans can use cashew curd or any vegan curd.
restaurant style methi mushroom recipe below:
- 200 to 250 grams mushroom
- ½ teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ¼ cup curd (dahi or yogurt)
- 1 cup fresh methi leaves (fenugreek leaves) OR 2 tablespoon dry fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
- 1 large onion - chopped
- 3 medium size tomatoes - chopped
- 1 or 2 green chili - sliced or chopped (hari mirch)
- ½ tablespoon ginger garlic paste (adrak lahsun ka paste)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- salt as required
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 1 big cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 2 to 3 green cardamom (choti elaichi or hari elaichi)
- 2 to 3 cloves (lavang)
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 1 pinch mace (javitri) - optional
- rinse the mushrooms in running water and get rid of the mud from them.
- chop them and keep aside.
in a bowl beat curd and add a pinch of salt to it.
- add the mushrooms to the curd and marinate for 30-40 minutes.
- meanwhile pick the fenugreek leaves from their stems.
- soak in water for some seconds so that the mud etc settles down at the bottom.
- throw the water and again soak the leaves.
- do this process a couple of times
- now rinse the leaves well and drain them in a colander.
- chop the leaves finely.
- heat oil in a pan or kadai.
- add the whole garam masala - cardamom, cinnamon, green cardamom, black cardamom, bay leaf and mace.
- fry the whole garam masala till the oil becomes fragrant. don't burn them.
- add onions and fry till golden brown.
- be patient as onions do take time to get browned.
- keep stirring the onions in between.
- add the green chili and ginger-garlic paste.
- fry for a minute.
- add the tomatoes and saute them till the tomatoes become pulpy.
- keep on stirring the masala.
- add all the dry spice powders - turmeric, coriander and red chili powder.
- saute till oil leaves from the sides of the whole mixture.
- lower the flame and add the marinated mushrooms with the yogurt.
- also add the chopped methi leaves or dry methi leaves.
add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water. also add salt as per taste. do keep in mind that some salt has been added to the marination.
- stir, cover the pan or kadai and simmer till the mushrooms are cooked.
- do check in between and if the consistency looks dry then add some more water.
- once the mushrooms are cooked, adjust the seasoning.
- garnish methi mushroom with some coriander leaves.
- serve methi mushroom hot with rotis or naan.
use fresh yogurt in the recipe. if the yogurt is not fresh or sour, there are chances of it getting spilt in the gravy. you can reduce or increase the amount of red chili powder, green chilies & ginger-garlic paste as per your preference. instead of oil, you can also use ghee.