collection of 26 matar recipes – along with potatoes, green peas is a versatile veggie and you can make a lot number of recipes with it. add them to rice, to gravies, to stuffings for sandwiches and parathas or make salads or soups.
apart from making dishes only with green peas, i also add them to recipes where other veggies are also included. though aloo matar is a favorite curry with many, there are other delicious dishes too that you can make with matar.
in india, during winters, the market gets flooded with fresh tender green pea pods. green peas is not available through out the whole year. so i buy green peas in bulk, pod them and then freeze them in a container. they stay well for 4 to 5 months. whenever i need matar for any dish, i just take them from the container and add to the dish. i avoid buying the store brought frozen peas.
i am sharing here a collection of recipes that i make with green peas. the collection includes gravy/curry based dishes as well as sabzi or dry dishes. i have also included some breakfast and snack recipes made with matar.
you can also check these popular veggie recipes collections:
1. carrot recipes – collection of 23 recipes made with gajar or carrots.
2. beetroot recipes – collection of 14 beetroot recipes.
3. potato recipes – collection of 41 potato recipes (gravy and sabzi)
4. cauliflower recipes – collection of 18 recipes made with phool gobi.
5. bhindi recipes – collection of 23 okra recipes.
matar recipes with gravy:
1. matar masala – creamy green peas masala gravy. no onion no garlic recipe. this matar masala recipe does not use butter or cream like most of the restaurant style recipes i have posted. cashews and milk powder are added to make this gravy creamy, smooth and slightly sweet.
2. matar paneer – spiced and creamy curry with peas and cottage cheese. this recipe is not restaurant style but a simple homemade dish. the kinds which make for a homely comforting meal. a family recipe.
3. aloo matar curry – a simple and home style punjabi recipe of peas and potatoes curry.
4. methi matar malai – popular punjabi north indian curry made with green peas, fenugreek leaves and cream (malai).
5. mushroom peas curry – rich and delicious south indian mushroom & peas curry made with a coconut-cashew base along with rest of indian spices.
6. matar ka nimona – easy to prepare UP style matar ka nimona recipe. this is a gravy like dish prepared with fresh green peas, onions, tomatoes and spices. i have also added potatoes but they are optional.
7. aloo gobi matar – lightly spiced curry with cauliflower, peas and potatoes.
8. khoya matar makhana – rich punjabi curry made with peas, fox nuts and khoya (evaporated milk solids). if you do not have makhana, then simply make the curry with peas and khoya. instead of makhana you can also add paneer (cottage cheese).
9. mushroom matar makhani – mushroom and peas in a creamy makhani sauce/gravy. the creaminess comes from ground cashews and tomatoes.
10. potato peas korma – a south indian style potato peas korma made with coconut, poppy seeds, cashews and red chilies.
11. anjeeri matar – a delicious gravy recipe made with figs, green peas and yogurt.
matar recipes (dry & sabzi):
1. dry aloo matar – tangy, mildly spiced dry sabzi of baby potatoes with green peas. regular potatoes also can be used in the recipe instead of baby potatoes.
2. matar mushroom – semi dry curry of peas and mushrooms made north indian style.
3. gobi matar – dry and lightly spiced cauliflower peas recipe.
4. bandh gobi matar – easy to prepare spiced punjabi recipe of cabbage and green peas.
6. matar paneer bhurji – spicy blend of scrambled cottage cheese and peas with onions, green chilies, tomatoes and indian spices.
7. matar usal – a semi dry curry from the maharashtrian cuisine made with fresh green peas, coconut and spices. mild sweet tones and lightly spiced.
8. gajar matar sabzi – delicious dry sauteed carrots and fresh green peas.
snacks and other green peas recipes:
1. matar pulao – aromatic green peas pulao recipe from punjabi cuisine. the pulao has sweet tones because of peas or matar. this pulao can be made with fresh or frozen peas. if you want to make pulao then check this link → 28 pulao recipes.
2. green peas paratha – whole wheat flat bread stuffed with a spiced mashed green peas filling. no onion no garlic recipe. the recipe is the most simplest version of matar paratha with minimal spices. so what you get is the taste and flavor of peas without being dominated by too many of spices.
3. matar kachori – flaky & crisp indian pastries stuffed with spiced & mashed peas. in hindi matar means peas and kachori is the fried & flaky pastry. these are like spiced empanadas. the matar kachori filling can be varied from savory to sweet, from potato & peas to lentils and even onions.
4. bengali matar kachori – fried bread with a mild and sweet green peas stuffing. a popular bengali breakfast as well as snack.
5. chura matar recipe – UP style recipe of chura matar or matar poha. chura matar is an evening snack which is popular and made in many homes in uttar pradesh during the winters.
6. green peas sundal – sundal are dry legume-lentil preparation spiced, tempered along with fresh coconut. the recipe uses dry green peas. however can also be made with fresh green peas.
7. hara bhara kabab – kabab made from spinach, peas and potatoes. nutritious as well as delicious.