maladu or roasted gram ladoo recipe with step by step photos. maladu also known as ‘maa ladoo’ is a popular south indian ladoo variety.
maladu are made from roasted gram or roasted chana dal. these roasted gram ladoos are made during festive occasions in tamil nadu. these are quick and easy ladoo made with few ingredients… ideal to make during diwali festival.
these maa ladoos do taste different from besan ladoos, but are nonetheless good. for binding them, i have used ghee. vegan can make these maa ladoo with coconut oil but the taste of coconut oil will be there in the ladoos.
give these quick maa ladoos a try this diwali festival. they are ready under 15 minutes. they are not only delicious but very nutritious and healthy also.
maladu or roasted gram ladoo recipe below:
maladu or maa ladoo recipe - quick south indian ladoo made from roasted gram or roasted chana dal.
- 1 cup roasted bengal gram or roasted chana dal
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 green cardamoms (chotti elaichi)
- 1 pinch of nutmeg (jaiphal)
- 10 to 12 cashews, chopped - (kaju)
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins
- ¼ cup ghee - remove 1 tablespoon from this ghee to fry the dry fruits
- first powder the chana dal in a dry grinder or coffee grinder to a fine powder consistency.
- seive the ground chana dal.
- powder the sugar with cardamom seeds
- sieve the powdered sugar also in the same pan.
- add the grated nutmeg too.
- mix the sifted chana dal flour and powdered sugar.
- fry cashews in 1 tbsp ghee.
- remove and add them to the chana dal flour
- now in the same ghee fry the raisins till plump
- add the raisins along with ghee
- in the same pan heat up the remaining ghee and add it to the ladoo mixture.
- keep the ladoo mixture pan on low flame and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- let the mixture cool and then form ladoos.
- serve maladu or keep them stored in an air tight container.
step by step roasted gram ladoo or maladu recipe:
1: take the roasted gram or chana dal in a dry grinder or coffee grinder. you can also slightly roast the chana dal before grinding.
2: grind to a fine powder and seive the chana dal flour in a wide bowl or wide pan.
3: powder the sugar & cardamom seeds in a dry grinder and sieve it too in the same pan. also add grated nutmeg to this mixture.
4: heat 1 tbsp ghee in a small pan and fry cashews till golden. remove and add them to the ladoo mixture.
5: in the same ghee, add the raisins and fry till they swell.
6: add the fried cashews and the raisins along with the ghee to the sieved chana dal and sugar mixture.
7: melt the remaining ghee in the same pan.
8: pour this melted ghee in the ladoo mixture.
9: mix with a spatula.
10: keep this pan on a low flame and roast the mixture for 2-3 minutes stirring continuously.
11: when the mixture is warm or cooled completely, make small or medium sized ladoos. serve the maladu or roasted gram ladoos or store them in an air tight box.