wishing happy and prosperous makar sankranti and pongal to all the readers. this year makar sankranti is falling on 14th jan 2017. makar sankranti is one of those hindu festivals which falls on the same day i.e 14th jan (sometimes 15th) every year. reason being the festival date is based upon solar calendar unlike most hindu festivals whose date is decided according to lunar calendar.
makar sankranti festival is dedicated to lord sun. it is also a time for religious practices. for farmers its a time of harvesting. it also signals end of winter and the beginning of spring. one festival and many significance’s. no wonder, makar sankranti is a multi- cultural festival which is celebrated with lot of festivity and joy all over india.
here in this post, i am sharing a collection of 31 recipes which you can make for makar sankranti and pongal festival. if you don’t eat onion and garlic during this auspicious time, then skip adding them in the recipes mentioned below.
31 makar sankranti and pongal recipes:
rice and pongal recipes:
1. ven pongal recipe – popular south indian breakfast made with rice and yellow moong lentils.
2. sweet pongal recipe – sweet porridge like dish made with rice and mung lentils, flavored with cardamoms and dry fruits. sweet pongal is also known as sakkarai pongal in tamil language is a sweet dish made during festive occasions in south india.
3. rava pongal recipe – healthy breakfast recipe of pongal made with rava and moong dal. rava pongal can be served with coconut chutney, mango pickle or curd. though you can also have pongal with sambar.
4. chakkara pongal recipe – a variation of sweet pongal that is made with rock sugar or sugar candy. sugar candy is also known “mishri” in hindi. you can even use regular sugar to make this pongal.
5. tamarind rice recipe – popular south indian recipe of a tangy, sour & spiced rice. the recipe dish is also known as puliyodharai in tamil language.
6. curd rice recipe – a popular south indian rice variety that is served with a south indian meal or south indian thali.
7. bisi bele bath recipe – one of the most popular traditional rice-lentil-vegetable dish from the karnataka cuisine. bisi bele bath is so popular that you get it so easily in the south indian restaurants in bangalore.
8. lemon rice recipe – crunchy, flavorful and sour rice recipe from south india. this lemon rice dish is one of the easiest to make. already cooked or steamed rice is mixed with a spiced lemon and peanut mixture.
9. coconut rice recipe – mild and light south indian coconut rice also known as thengai sadam. tastes best with freshly grated coconut. but you can use frozen coconut too.
10. tomato rice recipe – spicy south indian tomato rice. to reduce the spiciness, just use less amounts of ginger-garlic paste, black pepper and red chili powder.
11. ghee rice recipe – aromatic one pot rice made with ghee and spices from the south indian cuisine.
sweets recipes for makar sankranti festival:
1. til ke ladoo recipe – simple recipe of ladoos prepared with sesame seeds, jaggery, peanuts and desiccated coconut. in this till ladoo recipe, i have cooked the jaggery syrup to a soft ball stage. so this gives the ladoos a soft and chewy texture. you can also cook the jaggery syrup to hard ball stage and you will get firm and dense ladoos.
2. til gud ke ladoo recipe – delicious ladoos made with sesame seeds and jaggery. this is one of those healthy ladoos that not only has sesame seeds, but also has peanuts and desiccated coconut. a very easy recipe and within half an hour the ladoos will be ready.
3. peanut chikki recipe – winter special sweet of crisp peanut brittles. makar sankranti special sweet made from peanuts.
4. badam halwa recipe – south indian style delicious badam halwa recipe. the recipe gives a really good badam halwa, which has the right sweetness and a lovely texture which is not soft and firm. but kind of between. one which gives a heavenly feeling when you savor the halwa.
5. atta ladoo recipe – easy and quick to prepare delicious ladoos made with whole wheat flour or atta.
7. peanut ladoo recipe – a two ingredient easy recipe of ladoos made with roasted peanuts and jaggery.
8. coconut ladoo recipe – these are melt in the mouth coconut ladoos. these coconut ladoos are easy to make provided you get 1 thread or ek taar consistency in the sugar syrup. you can also check this coconut ladoo recipe with khoya and coconut ladoo recipe with condensed milk.
10. rava kesari recipe – a popular south indian sweet made from semolina during the festive season. rava kesari’s north indian counterpart is sooji ka halwa. other popular variations of rava kesari are fruit kesari, milk kesari, kesari bhath and pineapple kesari recipe.
11. whole wheat appam recipe – quick sweet appams made with whole wheat flour, bananas and jaggery.
12. puran poli recipe – flat bread stuffed with a sweet lentil filling made from skinned spilt bengal gram/chana dal and jaggery.
for more sweets recipes you can check these popular recipes collections:
savory snacks recipes for pongal festival:
1. butter murukku recipe – simple, easy recipe of butter murukku. murruku is the south indian variation of the chakli that is made in maharashtra and gujarat.
2. chana dal vada recipe – yum and a favorite south indian snack made with chana dal or bengal gram. you can serve chana dal vada with coconut chutney or coriander chutney or mint chutney or tomato ketchup.
3. sabudana khichdi recipe – a delicious dish of tapioca pearls cooked with potatoes and peanuts. vegan, gluten free and no onion no garlic recipe.
4. veg vada recipe – crisp vadas made with chana dal and chopped mix veggies. usually i add spare or leftover veggies from the fridge in the vadas. you can add your choice of veggies also.
6. masala vada recipe – south indian spiced fritters made with chana dal or bengal gram. the method of preparing masala vadai is similar to falafel. instead of ground white chickpeas, chana dal or bengal gram is used here.
8. instant chakli recipe – crisp and crunchy chaklis. chakli is a deep fried snack made from rice flour, gram flour, wheat flour or a mixture of lentil flours.
for more savory and snacks recipes you can check these recipes collections: