This is a beautiful fragrant rice recipe made with Lemon Grass Stem. This is a Thai Recipe and I had made the rice with another thai recipe Pat Pet Takrai (Stir fried Vegetables and Tofu with Lemon Grass Stem). It is a simple and quick rice recipe.
Lemon Grass Stem is a common ingredient used in Thai cooking. Its a fragrant stem and infuses a lovely lemony aroma in the food. Even when you are chopping it, you can get this lemony aroma.
In fact, I have always used lemon grass in making tea. We have lemongrass tea quite often at our place. I have never used lemon grass in any other indian recipe till now. For the first time I have added lemon grass stem in a recipe.
I do venture sometimes in other cuisines. Thai Food is a personal favorite. I am also planning to cook the Thai Veg Red Curry and Thai Veg Green Curry soon…. one of my favorite thai recipe. I adapted this recipe from here. Whilst, I did not have the fragrant Jasmine Rice, I used instead another fragrant rice…. Basmati Rice.
You need to know how to chop the lemon grass stem. Check out this nice article with pictures on how to chop and prepare Lemon Grass Stem for cooking. I used the fleshy part to make the Pat Pet Takrai and the upper end of the stalk to make this fragrant Lemon Grass Rice. I separated the layers of the stalks and added them to the rice.
I have microwaved rice. But you could cook the rice in a pan or pressure cooker.
Now for the Lemon Grass Rice Recipe:
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 15-20 mins
Ingredients for Lemon Grass Rice recipe:
- 1 cup rice
- handful of lemon grass stalks obtained from 1 0r 2 lemon grass stems.
- 2 cups of water
- salt (optional)
- a few drops of sesame oil (optional)
Method to make Lemon Grass Rice:
- Clean wash and soak the rice in water for 15 mins.
- Wash the lemon grass stem first. Chop the lemon grass stem and obtain the upper stalks.
- In a microwave cooker or microwave safe bowl, add the rice and lemon grass stalks.
- Add water, salt and sesame oil.
- Microwave on high for 12 minutes. Allow the rice a standing time of 5 mins.
- Discard the lemon grass stalks before serving. Serve the aromatic lemon grass rice with your choice of any thai vegetable dish or stir fried dish. I served this lemony lemon grass rice with Pat Pet Takrai and Black Bean Sauce.
below is the print view of lemon grass rice recipe: