lauki sabzi recipe with step by step photos. easy goan recipe of lauki (bottle gourd or opo squash) sabzi made with minimal ingredients. this is a simple, home style bhaji or sabzi recipe.
the lauki sabzi recipe comes from my mom and would be a regular sabzi made at least once a week at home. the sabzi is mildly spiced with green chilies. fresh grated coconut gives a nice sweet taste which accompanies the bland taste of lauki very well.
i prefer to make goan bhaji recipes as they are quick to make and flavorful too. i have shared many such simple recipes with various veggies like gawar bhaji, cabbage bhaji, methi bhaji, suva moong dal sabzi, tambdi bhaji. these bhajis or sabzis can be easily paired with some chapatis or can be served as a side dish with dal-rice along with a raita or salad.
you can even serve dudhi bhaji for breakfast with chapatis or parathas. if you like lauki/bottlegourd then do try this recipe.
since bottlegourd/lauki has many health benefits, its good to include it in your meals. few more lauki recipes on the blog are lauki halwa, lauki thepla, lauki paratha, lauki chana dal curry and lauki kofta recipe.
lauki sabzi recipe card below:
- 1.5 tablespoons oil
- 400 grams lauki or 2.5 cups of chopped lauki (dudhi or bottle gourd or opo squash)
- ⅓ cup fresh grated coconut
- 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped (hari mirch)
- ½ cup chopped onion or a medium sized onion
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- salt as per taste
- first rinse the lauki very well in water. then peel it.
- chop the lauki. avoid chopping in small pieces. you will need about 2.5 cups of chopped lauki.
- heat 1.5 tablespoons oil in a pan. keep the flame to a low.
- add 1/2 cup chopped onion. saute and stir the onions for 2 to 3 minutes on a low flame.
- then add a generous pinch of asafoetida and mix well.
- now add a tablespoon of chopped green chilies. again mix and stir well.
- saute the onions till they look translucent.
- then add the peeled, chopped lauki/bottle gourd.
- sprinkle salt as required and mix well.
- cover with a lid, cook for 14 to 16 mins on a low flame or sim. do check at intervals of 4 to 5 mins and then give a stir.
- after getting cooked, you will see that the lauki pieces has softened, changed their color and texture. if the lauki pieces still looks firm, then cover and cook, till they become soft.
- once the lauki has softened and cooked well, add 1/3 cup of fresh grated coconut.
- stir and mix well.
- cook for 2 to 3 mins on a low flame.
- switch off the flame.
- serve lauki sabzi with chapati or as a side dish with your meals.
how to make dudhi bhaji or lauki sabzi recipe:
1. firstly rinse 400 grams lauki (bottle gourd or opo squash) very well in water and then peel it.
2. then chop the lauki. avoid chopping in small pieces. you will need about 2.5 cups of chopped lauki.
3. heat 1.5 tablespoon of oil in a pan. keep the flame to a low.
4. add ½ cup chopped onions.
5. saute and stir onions for 2 to 3 minutes on a low flame.
6. then add a generous pinch of asafoetida/hing.
7. mix well.
8. now add 1 or 2 green chilies (chopped).
9. mix and stir well.
10. saute the onions till they become translucent.
11. add the chopped lauki/bottle gourd.
12. sprinkle salt as required.
13. mix very well.
14. cover the pan with a lid. cook lauki for 15 to 16 mins on a low flame.
15. do check the sabzi at intervals of 4 to 5 minutes and stir.
16. after getting cooked, you will see that the lauki pieces has softened, changed their color and texture. if the lauki pieces still looks firm, then cover and cook, till they become soft.
17. when lauki has cooked well and softened, then remove the lid and add ⅓ cup of fresh grated coconut.
18. stir and mix well.
19. cook for 2 to 3 minutes on low flame without the lid.