lauki chana dal sabzi recipe – this is a healthy curry recipe made with bottle gourd (opo squash) and bengal gram. i make this regular punjabi sabzi often at home. this lauki chana dal curry is an easy and quick recipe and goes very well with roti or phulkas.
to make this recipe, i recommend to soak the chana dal for some time to soften them and also make sure that the chana dal is cooked properly. sometimes i make the same sabzi with punjabi wadis instead of chana dal.
i make this lauki chana dal sabzi in pressure cooker but you can also make in a pan (mentioned in the recipe notes below). we usually make this sabzi spicy by adding extra green chilies. in the recipe mentioned below i have mentioned just one green chili.
lauki and spinach are two healthy veggies which i always try to include in our diet as much as i can and that despite the fact that they are not favorite veggies of my hubby :-). usually we are not able to use lauki fully in one dish and there is always some left over lauki. in that case you can check these more lauki recipes - lauki yakhni, lauki kofta, lauki wadi, lauki halwa and lauki curry.
this recipe can also be made with zucchini instead of bottle gourd. this lauki chana dal sabzi can be served with roti or parathas.
lauki chana dal sabzi recipe below:
- 1.5 to 2 cups chopped bottlegourd/ghia or lauki
- ¼ cup chana dal/split and husked bengal gram
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped
- ½ or ¾ tsp cumin seeds/sabut jeera
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp punjabi garam masala or regular garam masala
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing (optional)
- ½ to ¾ cup water for pressure cooking
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- 1 to 1.5 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- salt as required
- rinse and soak the chana dal for atleast 45 mins to 1 hour. drain the chana dal and keep aside.
- heat oil or ghee in a pressure cooker. crackle the cumin first.
- add the onions and saute till they become translucent.
- add the ginger and green chilies and saute for 10-15 seconds.
- now add the tomatoes and all the dry spice powders. saute till the tomatoes soften. keep on stirring.
- the oil should start releasing from the onion-tomato masala.
- now add the chana dal and stir. add the chopped lauki/bottle gourd and salt. pour water and stir.
- cover with the lid and pressure cook for about 4-5 whistles on a high flame.
- if there is lots of liquid in the sabzi, then simmer without the lid to dry the liquids.
- the curry has a medium consistency.
- when the pressure drops on its own, remove the lid and stir the coriander leaves.
- you can also garnish chana dal lauki curry with coriander leaves. serve lauki chana dal sabzi hot with phulkas or rotis.