this onion lachcha or pyaaz ka lachcha as we call in hindi is basically an easy salad made with onion rings. the english translation would be onion ring salad.
this is a quick side dish to prepare and often served in north indian restaurants or dhabas/roadside eateries. they are usually served with tandoori or grilled indian snacks and appetizers. they also pair well with pulao, biryani, tandoori dishes like paneer tikka or any rich curry dish like punjabi chole, paneer butter masala, shahi paneer, kadai paneer or malai kofta etc along with naan or tandoori roti.
these lachcha onions are basically thinly sliced onion rings spiced with lemon juice, red chili powder and salt. so you can quickly make these lachcha onions at home to go as accompaniment with a north indian meal.
another popular side dish made from onions which goes well with tandoori items or rich curry dishes are sirke wale pyaaz or pickled onions. both these lachcha onions and sirke wale pyaaz are often served as accompaniment in many indian restaurants. you can also have a look at the recipes of masala papad and masala pyaaz recipe.
when i make i usually add either chopped mint or coriander leaves to the salad. a dash of chaat masala also perks up this easy salad. in the absence of lemon juice you can use vinegar.
this indian onion salad has to be served fresh and immediately. so only make the proportions which you would be serving.
lachcha onion salad or pyaaz ka lachcha recipe below:
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced into rings
- ¼ tsp red chili powder or cayenne pepper or as required
- ½ to 1 tsp chaat masala (optional)
- 1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar or as required
- 1 tbsp chopped mint or coriander leaves
- rock salt or black salt as required
- in a bowl mix together everything.
- check the seasoning and add more salt, red chili powder or lemon juice if required.
- serve the onion lachcha immediately.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media