collection of 12 khichdi recipes – khichdi is a one pot comfort meal for most of us. if you add some veggies in a basic moong dal rice khichdi, then it becomes a complete meal.
you must have heard of the hindi phrase “khichdi ke chaar yaar – papad, dahi, ghee aur achar”. khichdi tastes best when served with these four sides – papads, curd, ghee and pickle.
generally when we talk about khichdi, then the reference is mostly about moong dal khichdi. as its the most popular khichdi recipe. however there are many other varieties of khichdi which are also made in india.
moong dal khichdi can be easily served to people from all age groups, be it toddlers or aged people. in india, when someone is ill or recovering from illness, then dalia and moong dal khichdi are often served to him or her. even doctors recommend moong dal khichdi to patients.
in this collection i am sharing khichdi recipe varieties that i often prepare at home. i will be adding some more regional variations of khichdi.
collection of 12 khichdi recipes
1. moong dal khichdi recipe – one pot comfort meal of rice and moong lentils. nutritious and light on the tummy. in this khichdi, onions & tomatoes are added. moong beans are healthy and easy to digest. so when your stomach is upset then it is best to have khichdi.
2. sabudana khichdi recipe – a delicious dish of tapioca pearls cooked with potatoes and peanuts. this is one of the most popular recipe made using sabudana while fasting. few more sabudana recipes which you can make for fasting or vrat are sabudana vada, sabudana thalipeeth, sabudana ladoo, sabudana pakora, sabudana kheer, sabudana tikki and sabudana bhel.
3. bhaja muger khichuri recipe – bengali style moong dal khichuri is always made during durga puja festival. this khichdi is served as bhog to maa durga. in this khichdi mixed vegetables are added like cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, green peas etc. addition of vegetables makes it a wholesome one pot meal. if you want then you you can even skip adding vegetables.
4. palak khichdi recipe – a sumptuous and nutritious khichdi made with mung lentils, rice, spinach and peanuts. easy to prepare as well as healthy and light on the stomach. in this khichdi, the addition of spinach and peanuts gives a lot of nutrition boost to the otherwise healthy khichdi. two more similar recipes you can make with palak and rice are palak biryani and palak pulao recipe. if you like palak then you can have a look at this collection of 29 palak recipes.
5. oats khichdi recipe – healthy and delicious one pot oats khichdi made with oats, mix vegetable and moong dal. you can use quick cooking oats as well as rolled oats to prepare the recipe. oats khichdi can be served plain or along with some curd, raita or pickle.
6. chana dal khichdi recipe – a simple and flavorful punjabi chana dal khichdi recipe. this is a traditional recipe and uses just two spice ingredients besides chana dal and the rice. spices are also used in minimal amounts so that the taste and nutty flavor of the chana dal comes out very well in the recipe. for more chana dal recipes, you can check this collection of 15 chana dal recipes.
7. veg masala khichdi recipe – a variation of a khichdi recipe that is slightly spicy and includes mix veggies. usually the veggies that i add in this khichdi are the usual mix of carrots, capsicum, cauliflower, peas, potatoes and french beans. warm, comforting and nutritious meal.
8. spicy sabudana khichdi recipe – this is a spicy version of sabudana khichdi made in maharashtrian style. sabudana khichdi is made during fasting and also is a regular breakfast or snack in maharashtra. if you just have sabudana khichdi during fasting, then add just add half or 1 green chili. but if you do have regular vrat/upvas meals and fruits, then you can add more green chilies.
9. sooji khichdi recipe – south indian breakfast preparation made from fine rava. i do add some veggies in it to give some texture and nutrition. but you can skip veggies and make it without veggies also. for more rava recipes, you can check this collection of 25 rava recipes.
10. easy moong dal khichdi recipe – a simple and very easy moong dal khichdi recipe for ganesh chaturthi festival. this moong dal khichdi is prepared as a naivedyam for lord ganesha and is made using minimal ingredients and spices. this is a no onion no garlic khichdi recipe.
11. samvrat rice khichdi recipe – simple, easy and healthy khichdi made with sama ke chawal also known as barnyard millet. sama ke chawal are regularly used during fasting and are very healthy. you can make variety of recipes with them like sama ke chawal ki kheer, sama ke chawal ka pulao, sama ke chawal ki idli and so on.
12. kuttu ki khichdi recipe – easy to prepare khichdi with buckwheat groats (sabut kuttu), potatoes and peanuts for navratri fasting. wholesome super food. buckwheat is also called as kuttu in hindi, kutto in gujarati and papparai in tamil.