kala vatana amti or black peas curry recipe – on the occasion of ganesh chaturthi today i made a few dishes for naivedyam and this kala vatana amti is one of them. in marathi language its called as kalya vatanyche amti.
this time i made a side carrot- cucumber salad, pomegranate raita, rava kesari and this black peas curry with steamed rice. this curry is made with black peas. these are different from black chickpeas or black gram.
these are dried peas and they need to be soaked before hand for 8-9 hours before cooking them. below is a pic of these soaked black peas. they remain separate even when cooked and do not get mushy. best is to use a pressure cooker for cooking them.
this time i did not make the kala vatana sambar. wanted to try something new. hence adapted the recipe from a cookbook. here basically three spices – cloves, pepper and coriander seeds are roasted with fresh coconut. the final curry has the aroma of the cloves. the roasted spice-coconut mixture is then ground to a fine paste.
Update: due to recent policies of facebook, many of you are not getting update from Veg Recipes of India facebook page. to keep getting updates, kindly go to our facebook page and click on “Liked” option and then select “See First” option under the drop down menu “IN YOUR NEWS FEED“.
kala vatana amti or black peas curry recipe below:
- ¾ cup dry black peas/kala vatana
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¾ to 1 tsp garam masala powder or goda masala or malvani masala
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds/rai
- salt as required
- 2 tsp oil
- 4-5 cloves/laung
- 10-12 whole black pepper
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 heaped cup of fresh grated coconut
- rinse and soak the black peas overnight in enough water.
- pressure cook the peas till they are completely cooked.
- reserve two cups of the peas stock. heat oil in a frying pan.
- fry the cloves, black pepper and coriander till they splutter and become aromatic.
- add the grated coconut and saute till the coconut gets browned.
- take care not to burn the coconut.
- keep on stirring while sauting the coconut to ensure even browning.
- let this mixture cool. add this mixture along with ½ tbsp of the cooked black peas in a grinder.
- add ½ or ¾ cup water and grind to a smooth paste.
- in the same pressure cooker or in another pan, mix the peas, the coconut paste, the 2 cups of reserved stock, chopped tomatoes, red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, salt and keep to simmer on a medium to high flame.
- when the curry comes to a boil, then lower the flame and simmer for 15-18 minutes till all the flavors are well blended in the curry.
- if the curry looks dry then you can add some water while simmering.
- now heat oil in a small frying pan.
- add the mustard seed and when they almost finish up making the popping sound, immediately pour the tempering in the curry.
- switch off the fire and cover the curry pan or pot with a lid. while serving garnish with coriander leaves.
- serve the kala chana amti with steamed rice, rice pooris or rice bhakris as a naivdeya or bhog to lord ganesha.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media