kadai mushroom recipe with step by step photos – kadai mushroom is an easy and quick dish and yet delicious. sauteed button mushrooms in a semi dry gravy of spiced and tangy tomato sauce along with bell peppers.
mushrooms, spices, onions, tomatoes and bell peppers. their combination never goes wrong :-) you can also check kadai mushroom gravy recipe.
the kadai mushroom recipe can be made spicy and hot depending on the kind of red chilies you add. dry red chilies are added to make the kadai masala. so if you use hot chilies, the curry will be hot. if you use less hot and pungent chilies, the gravy will not be hot. so depending on the heat in the chilies, you can decrease or increase their amount. here i used byadagi chilies which are less hot and give a deep color.
the indian kadai is like the chinese wok but much deeper than the wok. the whole recipe is cooked in the kadai and hence the name kadai mushroom. in india the kadai or kadhai is used for cooking semi dry or dry veggie dishes, making sweets and also for deep frying. it is one multi purpose pan which is found in every indian kitchen.
whenever you make any kadai recipe from any veggie or paneer or tofu, then always always freshly pound or powder the spices. they add such an aroma and flavor to the food that is not possible when you use ready made or store brought spice powders. in this kadai mushroom recipe, as mentioned above the kadai masala is also freshly made from roasted spices.
the kadai mushroom has been adapted from the popular restaurant style kadai paneer recipe on the blog. to make this dish onion-garlic free, you can easily skip onion and garlic. it will still taste delicious.
if you are looking for more mushroom recipes: then do check mushroom tikka, palak mushroom curry, south indian mushroom biryani, methi mushroom – restaurant style, mushroom manchurian, quick chilli mushroom and mushroom & peas curry recipe.
kadai mushroom recipe below:
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds/sabut dhania
- 3 to 4 dry red chilies, broken and deseeded if preferred
- ½ tsp cumin seed/jeera
- ½ inch cinnamon/dal chini
- 1 green cardamom/chotti elachi
- 2 cloves/lavang
- 3 to 4 black pepper/kalimirch
- 1 single strand of mace/javitri (optional)
- 200-250 gms button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium to large capsicum/bell pepper, thinly sliced or julienned (red or green or yellow)
- 2 medium to large tomatoes, pureed, about ¾ cup tomato puree (use tomatoes which are ripe, red and not too tangy)
- 1 medium onion, about ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ inch ginger + 3 to 4 medium garlic, crushed in a mortar-pestle or 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp dry fenugreek leaves/kasuri methi, crushed
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi, optional
- ½ cup water, 125 ml
- 3 tbsp oil
- salt as required
- 1 to 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- ½ inch ginger/adrak, julienne
- 1 or 2 tbsp cream - low fat 25 to 35 % cream can be added right at the end and mixed with the gravy
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder or punjabi garam masala- garam masala powder can be added when you add the kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves
- first dry roast all the spices mentioned above for the kadai masala, on a low flame in a kadai/wok or a pan till fragrant. don't burn them.
- once the spices cool down, add them to a grinder jar.
- grind to a semi fine powder. you can also grind to a fine powder. keep the ground kadai masala aside.
- in the same jar, add chopped tomatoes. blend the tomatoes to a smooth puree. keep aside.
- rinse, wipe and then slice the mushrooms. also thinly slice the bell pepper & chop the onions etc. keep the veggies aside.
- heat 3 tbsp oil in a kadai or pan. add the sliced mushrooms.
- stir & saute the sliced mushrooms. first you will see the mushrooms releasing a lot of water.
- then later the water evaporates. saute till the mushrooms get browned from the edges.
- remove the mushrooms and keep aside.
- in the same oil, add finely chopped onions. saute the onions till translucent or light golden.
- now add the ginger-garlic paste and saute till their raw aroma disappears.
- add the tomato puree. stir and saute till you see some oil releasing from the sides.
- then add the sliced capsicum/bell pepper. stir and saute for 5 to 6 minutes on a low flame
- add the ground kadai masala which we made. you can also add ¼ tsp turmeric powder at this step. adding turmeric powder is optional though.
- then add ½ cup water. season with salt.
- stir & bring the gravy to a simmer on a low flame till you see a few specks of oil on top.
- add the sauteed mushrooms.
- lastly add crushed kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves. switch off the stove.
- stir and then serve kadai mushroom hot with rotis, parathas or naan. garnish kadai mushrooms with ginger julienne and chopped coriander leaves.
you can increase or decrease the amount of red chilies as per their heat & pungency.
lets start step by step kadai mushroom recipe:
1. first dry roast all the spices for the kadai masala on a low flame in a kadai or pan till fragrant. the spices are – 1 tbsp coriander seeds/sabut dhania, ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera, 3 to 4 dry red chilies, 2 cloves/lavang, ½ inch cinnamon/dalchini, 1 green cardamom/choti elachi, 3 to 4 black pepper and 1 single strand of mace/javitri (optional).
2. once the spices cool down, add them to a grinder jar.
3. grind to a semi fine powder. you can also grind to a fine powder.
4. keep the ground kadai masala aside.
5. in the same jar, add chopped tomatoes (2 medium to large tomatoes, pureed, about ¾ cup tomato puree. use tomatoes which are ripe, red and not too tangy).
6. blend the tomatoes to a smooth puree. keep aside. no need to add water while making the puree.
7. slice 200-250 grams button mushrooms. slice 1 medium to large capsicum/bell pepper thinly. chop the onions (1 medium onion, about ½ cup finely chopped onion). keep aside.
8. heat 3 tbsp oil in a kadai/wok or pan. add the sliced mushrooms.
9. stir & saute the sliced mushrooms. first you will see the mushrooms releasing a lot of water.
10. after some minutes, the water evaporates. saute till the mushrooms get browned from the edges.
11. remove the mushrooms and keep aside.
12. in the same oil, add finely chopped onions.
13. saute the onions till they turn translucent or light golden.
14. add ginger-garlic paste (½ inch ginger + 3 to 4 medium garlic, crushed in a mortar-pestle or 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste). stir and saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
15. add the tomato puree (about ¾ cup).
16. stir and saute.
17. saute till you see some oil releasing from the sides.
18. add the sliced capsicum/bell pepper (1 medium to large capsicum).
19. stir and saute for 5 to 6 minutes on a low flame.
20. add the ground kadai masala which we made. you can also add ¼ tsp turmeric powder at this step. adding turmeric powder is optional though.
21. stir very well.
22. then add ½ cup water.
23. season with salt.
24. bring the gravy to a simmer on a low flame till you see a few specks of oil floating on top.
25. add the sauteed mushrooms (200-250 gms).
26. stir again.
27. lastly add 1 tsp crushed kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves to kadai mushroom. switch off the stove. if you want you can also add 1 or 2 tbsp cream to tone down the tang. you can also add about ¼ tsp of garam masala powder.