jam bread rolls…. one more of the bread rolls i had made when i had prepared the fig jam.
i do make bread rolls often and stuff them with any sweet or savory filling… they make for a nice breakfast for a couple of days with either tea or coffee.
i have shown the preparations of the rolls after the bread dough has leavened and doubled the first time. best is to use a homemade fruit preserve or jam. you can also use chocolate spreads or cheese fillings or pesto in the rolls.
the bread rolls can be made with whole wheat flour or all purpose flour. for health reasons i prefer whole wheat flour in most of the breads i make at home. just to give the bread a soft texture, i have added 1/2 cup of all purpose flour.
for this recipe i used fresh yeast and hence the leavening time is greatly reduced than using dry active yeast. i have mentioned in the recipe details below the proportion and the leavening time required for both the yeasts.
i just made one log, instead of making separate rolls. in case you want to make separate individual small rolls, you can see the step by step recipe of garlic bread rolls.
a few steps showing the preparation of the jam bread rolls:
1: once the dough has leavened, lightly punch the dough and on a lightly floured work surface roll into a rectangle till the the bread is 1/4 or 1/2 inch in width. spread the jam evenly on the rolled dough
2: sprinkle dessicated coconut and roll carefully.
3: make one single log. seam the edges and place in a greased loaf pan.cover and leaven for 15 minutes.
4: bake the bread roll in a pre heated oven at 180 degrees C for 35-40 minutes or till the bread is browned and sounds hollow when tapped. remove on a wire rack and cool.
5: slice the jam bread rolls warm or when cooled and serve with tea or coffee.
jam bread rolls recipe details below:
- 21/2 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tbsp fresh yeast or ¾ tsp to 1 tsp dry active yeast
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp organic unrefined cane sugar or 1.5 tbsp regular sugar
- ¼ tsp rock salt
- ¾ cup jam – any fruit jam
- 2 to 3 tbsp unsweetened dessicated coconut or as required
- 2 & ½ cups water or as required
- dissolve sugar in warm water.
- stir in the fresh yeast and let the solution sit for 10 mins.
- sieve both the flours and salt.
- add the oil, the yeast solution and knead to a soft, smooth and elastic dough.
- keep the dough covered in a greased bowl for 1 hour or more till doubled.
- if using dry yeast, keep the dough for 1:30 minutes to 2 hours.
- once the dough has leavened, lightly punch the dough and on a lightly floured work surface roll into a rectangle till the width of the bread reaches ¼ to ½ inch.
- spread the jam evenly on the rolled dough.
- roll carefully.
- place the entire log carefully in a greased loaf pan.
- cover and keep aside for 10-15 mins if using fresh yeast and 35-45 minutes for dry yeast.
- bake the bread roll in a pre heated oven at 180 degrees C for 35-40 minutes or till the bread is browned. remove on a wire rack and cool. slice the jam bread rolls warm or when cooled.