most south indian recipes are healthy, delicious and also easy to prepare. idli made from fermented batter is one of the healthiest food and if possible do include soft light fluffy steamed idlis in your diet. idli being fermented is very healthy and should be on the menu of health conscious people. being healthy is also one of the reason that both idli and dosa have become popular all over india and even abroad.
there are many varieties of idli prepared. you can make idli from rice, rava, ragi, lentils, brown rice and so on. kanchipuram idlis are also quite famous.
the key in making soft idlis is the correct fermentation of the idli batter. if your idli batter is fermented well then the idlis will be soft and fluffy. you can check this post on how to make idli dosa batter. serve idlis with coconut chutney, sambar, idli podi or make idli chaat with it. i have also shared instant idli mix recipe.
usually idli and dosa are taken for breakfast but you can have them at any time of day. here i am sharing the collection of idli recipes already posted on the blog. i am soon going to add more idli varieties like brown rice idli, daliya idli etc. you can also check these useful recipes collections:
- 34 dosa recipes
- collection of 14 rasam recipes
- collection of 15 sambar recipes
- collection of 42 chutney recipes (to along with snacks like idli, dosa, vada, samosa, pakora or other chaat snacks)
- 12 coconut chutney recipes for idli dosa, medu vada
collection of 12 tasty idli recipes:
1. idli – this popular idli recipe post has a lot of tips on making idli batter and step by step photos for making soft idlis at home.
2. poha idli – soft, light and fluffy idlis made with poha (flattened rice), idli rice and urad dal.
5. instant idli recipe – quick and instant recipe of preparing soft idlis. no fermentation required. the recipe yields really good soft and fluffy idlis. for an instant idli recipe, the texture of these idlis is too good. if you are looking for instant idli-dosa options then you can check these recipes – instant dosa mix, instant dosa recipe and instant idli mix recipe.
7. instant poha idli recipe – as the name suggests this is quick method of preparing idlis. no fermentation is required. poha makes these idlis light and fluffy. in the recipe i have ground urad dal, but you can also use readymade urad dal flour.
8. kanchipuram idli recipe – kanchipuram idlis are a well known variety of idlis. these are idlis spiced with cumin, pepper and ginger powder. traditionally they are made and offered as naivedyam to lord vishnu in the varadharaja perumal temple in kanchipuram, tamil nadu.
9. idli recipe from cooked rice – ultra soft idlis made with cooked rice, idli rava (cream of rice) and urad dal.
10. thinai idli – light, savory idlis made with foxtail millet and rice. foxtail millet is also known as ‘navane’ in kannada, ‘thinai’ in tamil, ‘kangni’ in hindi, ‘korra’ in telugu.
11. idli recipe with idli rava – soft, fluffy idlis made with idli rava or cream of rice.
12. okra idli – soft, fluffy, delicious idli recipe, prepared using bhindi/okra. you can also try making okra dosa with the same batter.
12. samvat rice idli (vrat ki idli) – unique idli recipe made without rice which you can make for fasting or for regular days too. this is a fermented idli made from sama/samo/samvat/vari rice which is a millet grain used during fasting in india.
5 recipes you can make from idlis or left over idlis:
1. idli chaat – pan fried crisp idlis topped with mix of chutneys, onions and sev.
2. idli fry – crisp idli fry made with left over idlis. can be served with coconut chutney, sambar or tomato sauce.
3. idli upma – simple, no frills homely upma recipe made with leftover idlis. a quick breakfast and gets done in 15 minutes.
4. masala idli – an easy and tasty recipe of a snack. you can use regular idlis or mini idlis to make this snack.
5. chilli idli recipe – spicy indo chinese recipe of chilli idli fry. i have not deep fried the idlis and have pan fried them. i always pan fry the idlis while preparing idli chilly. if you want you can deep fry the idlis.