hurda bhel or tender jowar bhel recipe – this chaat recipe is made with a winter delicacy common in the part of india i live. tender fresh sorghum or jowar – a cereal ingredient revisited by me after many many years.
many of us indians do use jowar flour and even use the jowar grains. but not many of us do not know about these green tiny tender jowar grains and how they can be used. let me tell you these grains are rich in nutrients and very good for health. they are cooling in nature as well. they also make a for an excellent gluten free cereal.
during the winters, the farmers harvest the tender jowar and sell it in some parts of maharashtra. some of you must have heard about hurda parties too.
tender fresh jowar is called as hurda in marathi and ponk in gujarati. on a recent visit to a plant and flower show, a local farmer was selling these fresh sorghum. i got a packet and made two dishes. one is this bhel and the other upcoming post will be a hurda bhaji or pakora/fritters. my whole family enjoyed both the dishes. you can also check this hurda upma recipe.
these grains have a fresh pale green color, are juicy and have a crisp sweet taste. they made for a nice bhel. the recipe is simple & easy. i also added tamarind chutney to one part of the bhel and the result was awesome.
i had asked the farmer how the hurda has to be cooked. he said, just roast them on a pan or tava for a few minutes. sprinkle some salt and red chili powder and you are ready to serve the basic version of hurda.
hurda bhel or sorghum bhel recipe below:
hurda bhel recipe - tender jowar or sorghum bhel recipe
hurda bhel recipe - a savory mixture made with tender jowar or sorghum also known as hurda in marathi language. nutritious, vegan and gluten free snack.
INGREDIENTS (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 cup hurda (ponk or fresh tender jowar or sorghum)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili (hari mirch) - chopped
- 1 small to medium tomato, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 teaspoon green chutney (optional)
- 2 to 3 teaspoon sweet tamarind chutney (optional)
- a few drops of lemon juice or as required
- 2 to 3 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- sev (gram flour vermicelli) - as required
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon chaat masala or as required
- black salt or rock salt as required
HOW TO MAKE RECIPE
- rinse the hurda in water for a couple of times. use a fine strainer to rinse these tender jowar.
- heat a pan. add the tender jowar and roast for 3-4 minutes on a low flame stirring often.
- you can also sprinkle some water and roast the jowar. they have a nice aroma.
- remove and keep aside.
- in a mixing bowl, add the chopped onion, tomatoes, green chili, the chutneys, salt, roasted cumin powder and chaat masala.
- add the roasted jowar. mix well. taste and add more salt, chaat masala or chutneys if required.
- serve hurda bhel in individual bowls or plates.
- sprinkle few drops of lemon juice on each serving topped with chopped coriander leaves and sev.
- serve the hurda bhel immediately.