Mayonnaise is one of my favorite sauces. I sometimes have it as a dip with french fries, or as a spread on sandwiches and burgers. Amongst salads, I like Russian Salad and as it is made with Mayonnaise, its one of my favorite salad.
One can easily make basic mayonnaise at home. Making mayonnaise at home ensures that it has no preservatives or additives added to it. I know it much better to buy a ready made bottle of mayonnaise. But trust me, there is nothing like making homemade mayonnaise with care and love. Its easy, simple and quick.
Ingredients you will need for the Mayonnaise:
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 2 tbsp powdered or castor sugar
- 4 tsp vinegar or lime juice
- 1 or 1 and half cup salad oil or olive oil
- salt and white pepper to taste
Method of making Mayonnaise:
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the egg yolk and blend well.
- Add salad oil drop by drop and keep on whisking the mixture.
- When it becomes thick, add a little vinegar or or lime juice and blend well
- Then continue adding salad oil and keep on whisking. Add the rest of the vinegar or lime juice. Once all the oil is added and mixed in, the mayonnaise should become fluffy and thick.
- Store in the refrigerator and use within a week.