this is a south indian recipe of green peas sundal. sundals are legume or lentil preparations made during ganesha chaturthi or the nine days of the navratri festival in south india.
basically they are a dry legume-lentil preparation spiced, tempered along with fresh coconut.
in north india, during the navratri fasting period we don’t make anything from legumes or lentils or cereals. well in the south it is different 🙂
the only dish that we make at home with legumes is the kala chana – a dry preparation with black chickpeas and this is made during the last day of the navratri along with suji ka halwa – semolina pudding and pooris.
since i have many south indian readers as well, i decided to make and post the green peas sundal recipe.
now in tamil language this green peas sundal is called as pattani sundal. it is made from dried green peas. you soak the green peas overnight and boil or pressure cook them the next day.
you can also make this recipe with dried white peas or even kidney beans, black eyed beans, white chickpeas, black chickpeas and any lentil or legume… when making with mung dal or chana dal, ensure that the dals are separate but cooked well. it should not be mish mash.
green peas sundal recipe below:
- ¾ cup dry green peas
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin/jeera
- 1-2 broken red chilies
- 1 green chili
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 10-12 curry leaves/kadi patta
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 to 3 tbsp freshly grated coconut
- rock salt or regular salt as required
- first rinse the dry green peas in water.
- soak in enough water overnight.
- next day pressure cook the peas with water and salt for 8-9 whistles or till done.
- drain water and keep the cooked peas aside.
- in a pan heat oil.
- fry the mustard seeds, till they crackle and pop.
- now add the cumin seeds and fry them.
- add the broken red chilies, green chili, curry leaves.
- stir and fry for half a minute.
- now add asafoetida.
- stir and then add the cooked green peas.
- add salt and stir well.
- keep on stirring for another 5-6 minutes till the whole mixture looks dry.
- lastly add grated coconut and serve green peas sundal as naivedyam.
raw grated or shredded mango can also be added to the sundal as a topping.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media