garlic dal or lahsun dal recipe – this one is a quick and easy recipe for making garlic dal…. you just need some spices and garlic… thats its… and all of them are cooked together with the dal… easy… isn’t it?
this is a easy one pot method to make garlic dal. good for occasions when you are short of time. in another variation, tempering is added to the garlic dal. i have shared that method in this lasooni dal recipe.
garlic and dal…. my two favorite combinations…. i love garlic in dal… in fact i like the aroma of cooked or fried garlic in dals, rice and even on veggies.
i first found this recipe of garlic dal in femina magazine during my college days. i liked the photo and the presentation so much in the magazine that i asked my mom to make it and have been hooked on to it since then. it was my hobby to collect recipes from different magazines, newspaper and try them at home. i still have some old cuts outs and handwritten notes still with me.
the garlic dal can also be had as a soup with toasted bread..
lahsun dal or garlic dal recipe below:
lahsun dal or garlic dal recipe
INGREDIENTS (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 cup arhar dal (tuvar dal, split pigeon pea lentils)
- 8 to 10 medium garlic cloves (lahsun), peeled and slightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai or sarson), optional
- 1 green chilli (hari mirch) finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 2 tablespoons ghee or oil
- 2.5 cups water, add water as required
- salt as required
HOW TO MAKE RECIPE
- pick, clean and wash the dal.
- in a pressure cooker heat ghee or oil.
- add the mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- now add the cumin seeds and fry them.
- add slightly crushed garlic. fry the garlic for a minute. we don't need to brown it.
- add the dal and the chopped green chili.
- add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, asafoetida, salt and mix these with the dal.
- add water. close the lid of the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 7-10 minutes.
- if the dal appears a little watery then reduce it by cooking the dal in the pressure cooker without the lid. check the salt.
- garnish garlic dal with coriander leaves.
- serve the garlic dal hot with roti, parathas or rice.