gajar recipes or carrot recipes – a list or collection of 38 indian carrot recipes ranging from main course, sides and sweets. carrot or gajar as we call in hindi, is a veggie which is always there in the fridge. if i do not include carrot in the food i prepare, i do serve them as a salad or just chop them up and serve as a side dish with any indian meal.
apart from adding carrot in mix veggie dishes, you can also make recipes only from carrots. so in this collection i have shared recipes made exclusively with carrots and also where two to three veggies are included. will be sharing a few more carrot recipes on website and this list will be updated. you can also check these popular veggie recipes collections:
- beetroot recipes
- 41 potato recipes
- matar recipes (24 green peas recipes)
- 10 best veggie recipes
- sweet corn recipes (makai or bhutta ki recipes)
collection of 38 gajar recipes:
1. gajar ka halwa – a traditional way of making delicious gajar halwa without any shortcuts or tweaks. this traditional recipe uses just full fat milk, ghee and sugar. we generally use red delhi carrots to make the halwa as they are tender and juicy.
2. carrot halwa with milkmaid – this is a quick and easy version of carrot halwa recipe made with condensed milk.
3. aloo gajar – simple homely dry sabzi or veggie preparation with potatoes and carrots.
4. carrot paratha – healthy and delicious whole wheat parathas made with carrots. these parathas are slightly crisp from outside and soft from within. if you like parathas then you can also check this collection of 33 paratha recipes.
5. carrot rice – lightly spiced carrot rice recipe. this is one of those rice recipes that can be made quickly. it also goes well as tiffin box lunch.
6. carrot ginger soup recipe – easy recipe of a comforting carrot and ginger soup. there is sweet taste in the soup coming from the carrots along with the warmth of ginger.
7. carrot barfi – easy and quick recipe of carrot burfi made with 4 ingredients. the recipe of carrot burfi is similar to the way gajar halwa is made.
8. aloo gajar matar – this is a punjabi style dry veggie dish made from potatoes, carrots and peas. the entire dish is cooked in the pressure cooker, but you can also cook in a pan. if you like quick recipes made in pressure cooker then you can have a look at this collection of 17 pressure cooker recipes.
9. carrot tomato soup – this is one of the most simplest and easy soup recipe to make. the soup has the sweetness of the carrots & onions, along with the slight tanginess of the tomatoes. garlic in the soup gives a slight sharpness with the earthy flavors of cumin. for more soup recipes, here is this collection of 20 soup recipes.
10. carrot payasam – creamy and smooth payasam made with carrots, jaggery and coconut milk. in this carrot kheer recipe, the carrots are cooked first and blended to a puree. so you get a creamy and smooth payasam.
11. gajar matar sabzi – delicious dry sauted carrots and fresh green peas. a dish which is a regular in my home.
12. carrot rata – simple and easy to prepare raita with an interesting tempering of asafoetida or hing added at the end. this tempering with ghee perks up the flavor of carrot raita. however the tempering is optional and you can skip it too.
13. gajar halwa recipe in pressure cooker – easy and a less time taking recipe of preparing gajar halwa in pressure cooker.
14. carrot halwa in microwave – a quick and instant method of making carrot halwa. the cooking time in the microwave is approx 10 to 11 minutes.
15. carrot kanji – a fermented north indian probiotic drink made from carrots, beetroot and ground mustard and water.
17. gajar murabba recipe – a juicy, syrupy, tender and soft carrots which taste too good. for making gajar murabba carrots are cooked in sugar syrup flavored with a few spices.
19. carrot sambharo – a simple gujarati carrot salad recipe. this is a stir fried salad where the carrots are sauted with mustard and green chilies. green chilies add some heat and spice to the salad. the flavors of fried mustard seeds also enhances the taste.
20. beetroot carrot poriyal – a simple flavorful south indian dish made with beetroots and carrot. lightly spiced and topped with coconut.
21. beetroot carrot raita – healthy, nutritious and beautiful colored raita. i have also added some chopped capsicum and onions to the raita to give it a crunchiness. however this is optional.
22. chocolate banana carrot cake – a dense, moist and healthy cake made from bananas, carrot and chocolate. eggless and dairy free recipe. for more cakes recipes you can check this collection of 10 best eggless cakes recipes.
23. veg chops recipe – one of the popular street food in bengal. these are addictive and no one can just eat one. these fried crisp chops can be compared to croquettes or cutlets and have a slight sweet taste due to the addition of beetroot, carrots and peanuts.
25. carrot poriyal recipe – simple and easy to prepare carrot poriyal recipe. poriyal are veggies based dry dishes from the tamil nadu cuisine. few more poriyal recipes on blog are beetroot poriyal, cabbage poriyal, raw banana poriyal, okra poriyal, beetroot carrot poriyal and french beans poriyal.
26. veg chilli milli – spicy and tasty gravy made with mix veggies, tomatoes-cashew paste, green chilies and spices. usually cabbage, carrots, capsicum (green bell pepper) and green peas (matar) are added in this dish. though, you can also use your choice of veggies.
27. veg shakuti recipe – veg xacuti is a delicious spicy coconut based curry with complex flavors. xacuti recipe is a popular dish from the goan cuisine. i have used mix vegetables to make xacuti.
28. jini dosa recipe – popular and delicious variety of dosa from mumbai. jini dosa is a yummy, crispy, cheesy dosa with spicy, sour, sweet taste along with the crunchiness of the veggies. the taste of cheese is distinctly felt in the dosa and goes very well with the vegetables.
29. cabbage manchurian recipe – chinese pakoda are crisp and spiced fried vegetable fritters. chinese pakora is one of the inventions from mumbai city and is popular there. it is a well known street food from mumbai.
30. vegetable lollipop recipe – veg lollipop are crispy fried balls made with mix vegetable filling. veg lollipops make for a tasty vegetarian appetizer or a starter snack at get together and parties.
31. veg american chopsuey recipe – one of the most popular fusion chinese recipe that is made in india is veg american chopsuey. this crispy crunchy snack is popular with both kids and adults alike.
32. vegetable korma recipe – aromatic, delicious and lightly spiced curry made with mix vegetables. you can also check this hotel style vegetable korma recipe. you can serve veg korma with pooris or rotis or neer dosa or poha dosa or set dosa or even with plain soft dosa. it can also be served with steamed rice or appam or lachedar paratha or kerala paratha.
33. mix veg curry recipe – simple, homely and tasty recipe of mix vegetables made in north indian punjabi style.
34. veg sagu recipe – creamy coconut+spices based delicious curry made with mix veggies
35. mix vegetable recipe – delicious and tasty north indian style fried mix veg recipe. this mix veg recipe has the typical punjabi flavor and taste to it. the recipe calls for frying the vegetables. since the vegetables are fried and cream is used, the recipe becomes rich in calories.
36. veg handi recipe – rich, creamy curry with mixed vegetables. restaurant style recipe.
38. eggless carrot cake recipe – decadent and delicious carrot cake made without eggs. like my most cake recipes, this carrot cake is also made with whole wheat flour. though you can also make it with all purpose flour (maida). the cake tastes good and is filling. there is a slight denseness in the cake due to whole wheat flour.