gajar matar sabzi recipe – a dish which is a regular in my home – dry sauted carrot and peas…. in hindi gajar are carrots and matar are green peas.
simplicity is a the key of this recipe. the three ingredients that flavor the carrot and peas are cumin, green chilies and ginger. that’s it.
this is my mom-in-law’s recipe. i simply love it when i share a recipe which i have learnt in my family and which is a regular at my home. this is also a no onion and no garlic recipe.
as a variation, sometimes we also add potatoes in this gajar matar sabzi. you can check this aloo gajar matar recipe. few similar recipes are dry aloo matar, aloo capsicum, aloo gobi and aloo gobi matar.
the best thing about these dishes is that they are very easy to make. simple and quick recipes made with minimal ingredients and goes well with roti or as a side dish. simple comforting indian food.
the sweetness of the carrots gets very well balanced by the chilies and ginger. the dish is finished off with a sprinkle of the punjabi garam masala. and there you go….
if you are having this dish with rotis then plain curd will also go well.
gajar matar sabzi recipe below:
- 4-5 medium size carrots/gajar
- 1 cup peas/matar, fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp cumin/jeera
- 1 inch ginger/adrak, finely chopped or grated
- 1 or 2 green chilies/hari mirch
- ½ tsp red chili powder (optional)
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder or punjabi garam masala
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ cup water
- a few chopped coriander leaves/dhania patta for garnishing (optional)
- rock salt or salt as required
- peel, rinse and chop the carrots/gajar.
- heat oil in a pan or kadai. add the cumin and fry them.
- add the ginger and green chilies. fry for a minute or till the raw smell of the ginger disappears.
- add the carrots and peas/matar along with the salt. saute for 3-4 minutes.
- add ½ cup water and stir. cover and let the veggies cook. keep on checking and stirring in between
- if the veggies start to get browned, add some more water.
- cook the veggies for 15-20 minutes till they are done. sprinkle garam masala and stir well.
- garnish gajar matar sabzi with coriander leaves.
- serve gajar matar hot with some phulkas or parathas or as a side dish with dal-rice combo or kadhi-rice or curd rice.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media