eggless choco lava cake recipe with video and step by step pics – easy recipe of preparing delicious eggless choco lava cake. the recipe is very simple and makes use of whole wheat flour and cocoa powder.
i had got many requests for an eggless choco lava cake. sharing a baking recipe after a long time. the recipe is adapted from my eggless chocolate cake recipe that i had posted a few years back. i have also posted the recipe of making chocolate cake in pressure cooker.
to make this lava cake recipe, you only need cocoa powder, baking soda and chocolate. the rest of the ingredients are easily available in an indian kitchen. i have used bitter sweet chocolate to get the molten lava. you can use sweet or semi sweet chocolate too. just make sure to use both good quality chocolate and cocoa powder. if possible do use couverture chocolate that has cocoa butter in it.
i used mason & co cocoa powder and cocoacraft bitter sweet chocolate – 70% cocoa. the whole wheat flour is chakki ground organic whole wheat flour. (do note that the above mentioned links are not affiliate links).
if you love chocolate, then you can check these easy chocolate recipes which does not require much time like chocolate fudge, chocolate mousse, chocolate ice cream, chocolate brownie, chocolate sandwich and chocolate chips muffins.
for the oil, you can use sunflower or olive oil. i have used both these oils on different occasions while preparing this choco lava cake.
you can make the recipe in ramekins or aluminium foil cups. you can also use muffin liners or a muffin tray. if using muffin liners or muffin tray, then you won’t be able to remove the lava cake from it.
the eggless molten lava cake recipe can be easily doubled. this recipe makes for 3 medium sized choco lava cakes which are almost like large muffins. thus making for 3 portions or 3 servings. one cake is enough for 1 person. if you have more family members, then you can double the recipe.
choco lava cake quick video (2.03 minutes video)
eggless choco lava cake recipe card below:
choco lava cake recipe - simple and easy recipe of eggless choco lava cake or eggless molten lava cake.
- ½ cup whole wheat flour (atta), 60 to 65 grams
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup sugar, 75 grams, about 5 to 5.5 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons oil, sunflower or olive oil
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract or ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 90 to 100 grams semi sweet, bitter sweet or sweet chocolate
take a bowl and place a sieve on it. add whole wheat flour, salt, cocoa powder and baking soda.
sift directly in the bowl. keep aside.
in another bowl take sugar and cold water.
stir till all the sugar is dissolved.
then add oil and stir very well.
next add vanilla extract and lemon juice. again mix.
now add the wet ingredients in the dry ingredients.
mix very well with a wired whisk. however, do not over do the mixing.
pour the batter in greased ramekins or muffin cups.
then place chocolate squares in the batter. gently press the chocolate squares, so that they get immersed in the batter.
place the ramekins in a preheated oven and bake for 200 degrees celsius for 30 to 35 minutes. preheat oven for 15 to 20 minutes at 200 degrees celsius before you start baking.
once done, remove the ramekins from the oven. let the cakes cool for 2 to 3 minutes.
then gently invert the ramekins on a serving plate or tray. be careful as the ramekins will be hot.
tap the base of the ramekins and let the lava cake slid through and fall on the plate.
using a small sieve, dust some cocoa powder or powdered sugar on the choco lava cakes.
serve choco lava cakes immediately.
a few tips for making choco lava cake:
- recipe can be doubled.
- instead of ramekins, muffin cups or liners can be used. aluminium foil based muffin cups also can be used.
- depending on the size of muffin cups, you will get less or more number of lava cakes.
- for the chocolate, you can use sweet, semi sweet, bitter sweet or milk chocolate.
- do use couverture chocolate instead of compound chocolate.
- also use a good quality cocoa powder.
- oven temperature varies, so do keep a check on baking especially during the last 10 minutes.
- instead of whole wheat flour (atta) you can also use all purpose flour (maida).
- you can use vanilla essence instead of vanilla extract. in that case, just add ¼th teaspoon of vanilla essence.
approximate nutrition info for 1 lava cake:
how to make eggless choco lava cake:
1. first grease 3 medium ramekins with oil very well. keep aside. meanwhile preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius/395 degrees fahrenheit for 15 to 20 minutes. heat only the bottom element of the oven. in microwave oven, use the convection mode and preheat for 15 minutes at 180 degree celsius.
2. take a bowl and place a sieve on it. add ½ cup whole wheat flour (60 grams).
3. then add 3 tablespoons cocoa powder and a pinch of salt.
4. next add ¼ teaspoon baking soda. since baking soda is the only leavening ingredient used in the recipe, do make sure that its fresh and active. to check the freshness of baking soda, dissolve a bit of baking soda in a solution of vinegar+water. it should fizz and bubble immediately. if not, then the baking soda is not fresh and active.
5. sift the dry ingredients directly in the bowl.
6. keep the sifted dry ingredients aside.
7. in another bowl, take ⅓ cup sugar.
8. add ½ cup cold water. do use cold water only as it gives the best texture in the cake.
9. using a spoon or a wired whisk mix very well till all the sugar is dissolved.
10. now add 2 tablespoons oil. you can use sunflower oil or olive oil.
11. using a wired whisk mix the oil very well with the sugar+water solution.
12. now add ½ teaspoon vanilla extract . if using vanilla essence, then add ¼ teaspoon of it.
13. add ½ tbsp lemon juice. instead of lemon juice, you can also use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
14. again mix very well.
15. now add the wet ingredients to the sifted dry ingredients.
16. with a wired whisk, stir and mix well. do not over do the mixing.
17. prepare a smooth batter. the batter for this lava cake recipe has medium-thin consistency.
18. pour the lava cake batter in the greased ramekins till ⅔ of their volume.
19. place chocolate squares in the batter. i have used 70% cocoa bitter sweet chocolate. if using any other branded ready to eat chocolate like cadbury’s then make sure that the chocolate is chilled and not at room temperature. the amount of chocolate to be used for the entire recipe is 90 to 100 grams. for a more molten chocolate lava, you can add about 5 to 6 squares of chocolate.
20. with a spoon or wired whisk lightly press them so that they get immersed in the batter. if you have a chocolate slab, then chop the chocolate before you prepare the batter. the batter should immediately go in the oven as soon as possible.
21. place the ramekins in the center rack of the oven. bake at 200 degrees celsius for 30 to 40 minutes. in my oven the baking took about 35 minutes. during the last 10 minutes do keep a check. also open the oven door only after ¾th of the cakes are baked. if you open early or open many times, the lava cakes can fall flat. i generally bakes lava cakes well as i do not want my folks to eat any uncooked batter.
22. baking time varies with various oven makes and models, so it can take less than 30 mins or more than 35 minutes. check with a toothpick on the sides of the cake and it should come out clean.
23. let the cakes cool for two to three minutes. then with a butter knife gently loosen the edges from the top. the cake is so light and soft, you do not need to use the butter knife way to the base of the ramekins.
24. invert the ramekin on a serving plate. gently tap the bottom of the ramekin. the ramekins will be hot, so be careful when picking and tapping them.
25. remove the ramekin gently and the cake gets unmolded easily. sift some cocoa powder or powdered sugar on top through a sieve. you can also serve lava cakes with ice cream like vanila ice cream or chocolate ice cream or mango ice cream or some berries or fruits by the side.
lava cakes have to be served hot or warm. once they cool, the molten chocolate solidifies. but even at room temperature these lava cakes taste good.