Fried Rice with Eggs, Capsicum, Green Chilli and Onions
I have grown up and brought up in Mumbai – a land where the original cuisine does not remain original but gets blended with the likings and tastes of people. For example, the Chinese Food as it is called here, does not remain authentically Chinese, but gets Indianised and gets a dash of local flavours and spices.
Its not as if one does not get authentic chinese food in Mumbai. We do get it in some good chinese restaurants like China Garden, Mainland China and the chinese restaurants in five star hotels etc.
However, if you want to go for something cheaper then you have access to the various chinese stalls that one can find, near offices, near your home, near colleges etc. These stalls will not serve you the original authentic chinese stuff. Yet the use of the indian spices or masalas give the food a different taste. These stalls give you a quick service and you can even ask for the recipe to be made to your liking.
One also finds the Vada Pav/Pau where the Maharashtrian Batata Vadas is sandwiched between a pav (a kind of bread rolls available in India) in a medley of sweet and spicy chutneys. Its a common man’s food in Mumbai. You will also get Bhel Puri, Pani Puri, Dahi Sev Batata Puri, Ragda Pattice, Sev Puri and many great mixtures and concocted recipes in Mumbai.
Coming back to my modified indian recipe of fried egg rice which I have posted here. This recipe is made with eggs, capsicum, onions. You can also use spring onions. I did not have them, so I used red onions.
A combination of veggies like mushrooms, cabbage and even sprouts, tofu or paneer cubes can be used. I have not used soya sauce or ajinomoto in this recipe. If you like the taste of soya sauce, then you can add it. I have used Olive Oil, but one can use any good vegetable oil.
I had cooked the rice first. If you have leftover rice, you can use that too. The rice has to be cooled to room temperature as adding hot rice will make the rice stick to each other.
Ingredients for 2 servings of Egg Fried Rice:
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 1 capsicum sliced finely
- 1 green chilly sliced
- 1 small to medium onion sliced finely
- 1 to 1.5 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- ½ tsp vinegar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 to 2.5 cups water for cooking rice
- A few chopped coriander leaves
- Salt as per taste
Method to make Indian Egg Fried Rice:
1. Cook the rice with water in a pressure cooker or microwave oven. Add few drops of oil so that the grains remain separated after cooking.
2. Beat the eggs with salt and a half teaspoon of pepper powder. In a wok, add olive oil. Add the beaten eggs and stir fry the eggs. Stir the eggs. Make sure you make small pieces of the eggs with the spoon.
3. Once the eggs have become soft, add the onions. Don’t cook the eggs completely before adding the onions. Fry the onions with the egg. The egg has to be soft, as it will get cooked with the onions and capsicum later. Now add the finely sliced capsicum and green chilly. Fry it for ½ min. Cover the wok and let the veggies and egg cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Now add the remaining 1 tsp pepper powder. Stir.
4. Add cooked rice. Stir and mix lightly the veggies and rice so that the rice does not break. Add salt. Keep on stirring lightly till the rice and veggies have mixed well. Now add half tsp vinegar to give a slightly sour taste to the rice. You can also use lemon juice. Mix it and check the seasoning. At this stage you can add more salt, pepper or vinegar. Garnish egg fried rice with coriander leaves. Serve hot egg fried rice.