drumstick rasam – is one more variation of making rasam with veggies.
i often use drumsticks in the meals i make at home. i add these healthy veggie in dal, sambar, avial or make rasam from them. also i make drumstick sabzi or stir fries. in case you are wondering what are drumsticks, you can see them in the first pic. the tender long green pods of moringa oleifera.
rasam is a soup like appetizer or drink made in south india. more about rasam on this tamarind rasam post.
this drumstick rasam has a base of tomato with tamarind. you can also make the rasam with tamarind only. rasam powder is added in this one. in the absence of rasam powder, this is a no onion and no garlic rasam recipe too.
the rasam is tangy and slightly sweet due to the addition of jaggery warmed with spices and the flavor of drumsticks. i had made this rasam to go along with some medu vada and rice. you can just have the rasam plain too.
drumstick rasam recipe below:
- 2 drumsticks, rinsed, peeled and chopped 3 to 4 inches long
- 2 medium sized ripe tomatoes - pureed, approx 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tbsp seedless tamarind soaked in ½ cup water for 30 minutes
- 1.5 to 2 cups water - adjust as required
- 2 to 3 tsp rasam powder
- 1 or 2 tsp jaggery or as required
- ½ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ¼ or ½ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves/dhania patta
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp cumin/jeera
- 1 tsp urad dal (optional)
- ¼ tsp fenugreek/methi
- 2 dry red chilies, whole or halved and deseeded
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 1 sprig curry leaves/ kadi patta
- 1 to 1.5 tbsp oil
- add the tomato puree, drumsticks, turmeric powder, red chili powder, 2 cups water in a pot or pan.
- bring to a boil and simmer till the drumsticks are cooked, uncovered.
- squeeze the tamarind pulp straight into the bowl of water.
- add the tamarind pulp, rasam powder, jaggery and salt. stir well.
- simmer for 5-6 minutes more or till the raw aroma of the tamarind goes away.
- in a small pan, heat oil. add the mustard and urad dal first.
- let the mustard seeds pop first and at the same time the urad dal would also start getting browned.
- now add the cumin and fry for a few seconds.
- add the dry red chilies, curry leaves, asafoetida and fry for some seconds.
- pour the tempering mixture in the the rasam. stir and mix in the coriander leaves.
- serve the drumstick rasam hot with rice or as an accompaniment with sambar.
Follow us on Social Media