drumstick rasam recipe with step by step photos. one more variation of making rasam with veggies.
i often use drumsticks in the meals i make at home. i add these healthy veggie in dal, sambar, avial or make rasam from them. also i make drumstick sabzi or stir fries. two more drumstick recipes on the blog are drumstick masala and goan drumstick curry recipe.
in case you are wondering what are drumsticks, you can see them in the first pic. the tender long green pods of moringa oleifera.
this drumstick rasam has a base of tomato with tamarind. you can also make the rasam with tamarind only. rasam powder is added in this one. in the absence of rasam powder, this is a no onion and no garlic rasam recipe too.
the drumstick rasam is tangy and slightly sweet due to the addition of jaggery warmed with spices and the flavor of drumsticks. i had made this rasam to go along with some medu vada and rice. you can just have the rasam plain too.
drumstick rasam recipe card below:
- 2 drumsticks, rinsed, peeled and chopped into 1.5 to 2 inch long pieces
- 2 medium sized ripe tomatoes - pureed, approx 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon seedless tamarind, soaked in ½ cup water for 30 minutes
- 1.5 to 2 cups water - adjust as required
- 2 to 3 teaspoon rasam powder
- 1 or 2 teaspoon jaggery or as required
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ cup coriander leaves, chopped (dhania patta)
- 1 teaspoon mustard (rai)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera)
- 1 teaspoon urad dal, optional
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 2 dry red chilies, whole or halved and deseeded
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 sprig curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoon oil
- add the tomato puree, drumsticks, turmeric powder, red chili powder, 2 cups water in a pot or pan.
- bring to a boil and simmer till the drumsticks are cooked, uncovered.
- squeeze the tamarind pulp straight into the bowl of water.
- add the tamarind pulp, rasam powder, jaggery and salt. stir well.
- simmer for 5-6 minutes more or till the raw aroma of the tamarind goes away.
- in a small pan, heat oil. add the mustard and urad dal first.
- let the mustard seeds pop first and at the same time the urad dal would also start getting browned.
- now add the cumin and fry for a few seconds.
- add the dry red chilies, curry leaves, asafoetida and fry for some seconds.
- pour the tempering mixture in the the rasam. stir and mix in the coriander leaves.
- serve the drumstick rasam hot with rice or as an accompaniment with sambar.
how to make drumstick rasam recipe below:
1. soak 1 tablespoon seedless tamarind in ½ cup water for 30 minutes.
2. rinse 2 drumsticks. then peel and chop them lengthwise into 1.5 to 2 inch long pieces.
3. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for the rasam.
4. chop 2 medium sized tomatoes into the blender.
5. blend till its pureed.
6. add the tomato puree to a pot or pan.
7. next add 2 whole drumsticks which are chopped lengthwise.
8. add ½ teaspoon turmeric powder and ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chili powder.
9. now add 2 cups water in a pot or pan or as required.
10. bring to a boil and simmer till the drumsticks are cooked, uncovered.
11. squeeze the tamarind pulp straight into the bowl of water.
12. add the tamarind pulp.
13. also add 2 to 3 teaspoons rasam powder and 1 to 2 teaspoon grated jaggery.
14. add salt as required.
15. stir well.
16. simmer for 5-6 minutes more or till the raw aroma of the tamarind goes away.
17. meanwhile measure and keep all the spices ready for the tempering of rasam.
18. in a small pan, heat 1 to 1.5 tablespoon oil. add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds and 1 teaspoon urad dal first. let the mustard seeds pop first and at the same time the urad dal would also start getting browned.
19. now add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and fry for a few seconds.
20. add 2 dry red chilies, ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds, 1 sprig of curry leaves, 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing) and fry for some seconds.
21. pour the tempering mixture in the rasam.
22. stir and add ¼ cup coriander leaves. mix one last time.
serve the drumstick rasam hot with rice or as an accompaniment with sambar.