drumstick rasam recipe – one more variation of making rasam with veggies.
i often use drumsticks in the meals i make at home. i add these healthy veggie in dal, sambar, avial or make rasam from them. also i make drumstick sabzi or stir fries. few drumstick recipes in the blog are drumstick masala and goan drumstick curry recipe.
in case you are wondering what are drumsticks, you can see them in the first pic. the tender long green pods of moringa oleifera.
this drumstick rasam has a base of tomato with tamarind. you can also make the rasam with tamarind only. rasam powder is added in this one. in the absence of rasam powder, this is a no onion and no garlic rasam recipe too.
the drumstick rasam is tangy and slightly sweet due to the addition of jaggery warmed with spices and the flavor of drumsticks. i had made this rasam to go along with some medu vada and rice. you can just have the rasam plain too.
drumstick rasam recipe below:
- 2 inches drumsticks, rinsed, peeled and chopped 3 to 4 long
- 2 medium sized ripe tomatoes - pureed, approx 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon seedless tamarind, soaked in ½ cup water for 30 minutes
- 1.5 to 2 cups water - adjust as required
- 2 to 3 teaspoon rasam powder
- 1 or 2 teaspoon jaggery or as required
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ cup coriander leaves, chopped (dhania patta)
- 1 teaspoon mustard (rai)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera)
- 1 teaspoon urad dal, optional
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 2 dry red chilies, whole or halved and deseeded
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 sprig curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoon oil
- add the tomato puree, drumsticks, turmeric powder, red chili powder, 2 cups water in a pot or pan.
- bring to a boil and simmer till the drumsticks are cooked, uncovered.
- squeeze the tamarind pulp straight into the bowl of water.
- add the tamarind pulp, rasam powder, jaggery and salt. stir well.
- simmer for 5-6 minutes more or till the raw aroma of the tamarind goes away.
- in a small pan, heat oil. add the mustard and urad dal first.
- let the mustard seeds pop first and at the same time the urad dal would also start getting browned.
- now add the cumin and fry for a few seconds.
- add the dry red chilies, curry leaves, asafoetida and fry for some seconds.
- pour the tempering mixture in the the rasam. stir and mix in the coriander leaves.
- serve the drumstick rasam hot with rice or as an accompaniment with sambar.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media