dhaba style dal fry – we love the dal they serve at dhabas. dhabas are hotels or restaurants along roads and highways. more about dhaba on this wiki link.
this recipe of dal is inspired from the dals served at punjabi dhabas. but i have made the dal more healthy by using 5 dals or lentils. in the dhaba, they use chana dal, arhar dal and urad dal. i have also added moong dal and masoor dal. the dal fry also uses less oil as compared to the dhaba ones.
its best to serve this dal with tandoori rotis. though even with plain steamed rice, jeera rice, peas pulao it goes well. you can also serve the dal with naan, parathas or phulkas.
dhaba dal fry recipe card below:
- 2 tablespoons each of chana dal, tuvar dal, split husked moong dal, split husked urad dal and masoor dal or ½ cup mix dal or 180 grams
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- 2 cups water for pressure cooking
- 1.5 tbsp ghee or oil
- 55 grams onion, 1 medium onion or ⅓ cup chopped onion
- 4 grams ginger or ½ inch ginger or 1 tsp crushed ginger
- 4 grams garlic or 6 to 7 small garlic cloves or 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 to 3 green chilies, slit
- 2 to 3 dry red chilies
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi, crushed
- 115 grams tomatoes, 1 large tomato, chopped or ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- a pinch of asafoetida
- ½ to ⅔ cup water
- salt as required
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ inch cinnamon
- 2 to 3 cloves
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 tej patta or indian bay leaf
- pick and rinse the lentils a couple of times. if you want you can also soak the lentils in water for an hour.
- add the lentils in a pressure cooker along with a pinch of turmeric powder. also add 2 cups water.
- pressure cook for 18 to 20 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- when the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid and check the dals.
- the lentils should be cooked very well and softened.
- preparing dal fry:
- in a kadai or pan, heat 1.5 tablespoon oil or ghee.
- add all the whole spices and saute them till they crackle and become fragrant.
- then add the chopped onions.
- stir often and saute till the onions turn light golden.
- then add 1 tsp crushed ginger, 1 tsp crushed garlic, 2 to 3 green chilies, slit and 2 to 3 dry red chilies.mix well and saute till the raw aroma of ginger & garlic goes away.
- add crushed kasuri methi and store.
- now add the chopped tomatoes.
- stir and saute till the tomatoes soften.
- then add ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp red chilli powder, ½ tsp coriander powder, ¼ tsp garam masala powder and a pinch of asafoetida.
- mix the spice powders with the rest of the onion-tomato masala.
- add the cooked dal and mix well.
- add water and stir very well.
- season with salt and mix again.
- simmer the dal on a low flame till the dal thickens a bit. keep on stirring the dal at intervals so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- when the dal is done, switch off the flame. add chopped coriander leaves.
- serve the dhaba style dal hot with rotis or parathas. you can also do the dhungar method if you want and then serve the dal fry.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media