I like the kind of dal they make at the dhabas. This recipe of dal is a dhaba style dal. I came across this recipe in a recipe book. I have altered it a little by using 2 ingredients, namely cumin seeds and asfaoetida.
This dal recipe is made from tuvar dal – also known as arhar dal or yellow lentils and chana dal – also known as gram dal or spilt bengal gram. You can also use urad dal along with the other two dals. I did not have urad dal so I have not used it. Its an easy method. In the original recipe, though the dals were boiled in an open pan. I have used pressure cooker as it saves time and fuel.
Dhaba Dal Recipe Details Below:
- ½ cup arhar dal
- ¼ cup chana dal
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 2-3 tsp chopped garlic/lahsun – add more if you like the taste of garlic
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp chilly powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp ghee or oil
- 4 cups water for cooking the arhar dal
- Clean and wash the dals/lentils.
- You can also soak the dals in water for 30-45 minutes.
- Boil the dals with the garam masala powder, chilly powder, turmeric powder and salt in the pressure cooker till 1 whistle.
- In the meantime, in a shallow frying pan, take some oil/ghee.
- Add the cumin seeds. Once they fry add the asafoetida.
- Add the chopped onions. Fry them till they become transparent.
- Then add the chopped garlic.
- Once the garlic is sauted, then add the chopped tomatoes.
- Fry till the tomatoes become soft and mushy.
- Now open the cooker and transfer the contents of the pan to the dal.
- Check to see if the water content is right.
- If not, you can add more of hot water to the dal.
- Now you have the option of cooking the dal in the pressure cooker or cooking it openly. In the pressure cooker, the dal will get cooked in 2-3 whistles.
- If you cook it in the open, it will take 15-20 minutes.
- Serve the yellow dhaba style dal with jeera rice or rotis, parathas and sliced onions. This dhabe ki dal recipe is yummy.
Follow us on Social Media