I like the kind of dal they make at the dhabas. This recipe of dal is a dhaba style dal. I came across this recipe in a recipe book. I have altered it a little by using 2 ingredients, namely cumin seeds and asfaoetida.
This dal recipe is made from tuvar dal – also known as arhar dal or yellow lentils and chana dal – also known as gram dal or spilt bengal gram. You can also use urad dal along with the other two dals. I did not have urad dal so I have not used it. Its an easy method. In the original recipe, though the dals were boiled in an open pan. I have used pressure cooker as it saves time and fuel.
Dhaba Dal Recipe Details Below:
- ½ cup arhar dal
- ¼ cup chana dal
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 2-3 tsp chopped garlic/lahsun – add more if you like the taste of garlic
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp chilly powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp ghee or oil
- 4 cups water for cooking the arhar dal
- Clean and wash the dals/lentils.
- You can also soak the dals in water for 30-45 minutes.
- Boil the dals with the garam masala powder, chilly powder, turmeric powder and salt in the pressure cooker till 1 whistle.
- In the meantime, in a shallow frying pan, take some oil/ghee.
- Add the cumin seeds. Once they fry add the asafoetida.
- Add the chopped onions. Fry them till they become transparent.
- Then add the chopped garlic.
- Once the garlic is sauted, then add the chopped tomatoes.
- Fry till the tomatoes become soft and mushy.
- Now open the cooker and transfer the contents of the pan to the dal.
- Check to see if the water content is right.
- If not, you can add more of hot water to the dal.
- Now you have the option of cooking the dal in the pressure cooker or cooking it openly. In the pressure cooker, the dal will get cooked in 2-3 whistles.
- If you cook it in the open, it will take 15-20 minutes.
- Serve the yellow dhaba style dal with jeera rice or rotis, parathas and sliced onions. This dhabe ki dal recipe is yummy.
Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media