Custard Apple or Sitaphal (as it is known in Hindi) is a seasonal fruit which one gets easily in India. I remember my days in Pune, where we used to get fresh, large sitaphals and I often used to make a milk shake of these creamy fruit. A friend bought some custard apples and they were very ripe as you can see in the picture. So I decided to make custard apple icecream.
It is a no cook, easy custard apple ice cream. Its tastes good and will definitely calm all those ice creamy urges…… when you know that in your fridge there is a bowl of wonderful creamy custard apple ice cream waiting for you.
I have adapted this recipe from Kaushi Bhatia’s cookbook – Dollops Icecreams and Dessert. And do you know…. what is the thickening agent used in this icecream recipe. Its Marie Biscuits…… surprised….. yes it is Marie Biscuits. I made this ice cream with whole milk, but you can use skimmed milk.
You can see the ice cream melting…… no….. melted…….when I was taking the pictures.
Ok… without much ado.. here goes the recipe for this delectable Custard Apple Ice Cream Recipe.
Ingredients for Custard Apple Ice Cream: 2-3 servings
- 1 cup custard apple pulp
- 1 cup fresh milk (boiled and cooled)
- 1 cup crushed marie biscuits
- 6 tbsp sugar
How to make the Custard Apple Ice Cream:
- Wash the custard apples in water. Dry them with a cloth. Now open it up and peel the fleshy pulp from the seeds. This will take some time as you will have to peel the flesh from each and every seed. Collect the pulp in a container. Around 3-4 custard apples will give you 1 cup of pulp. This is the only time consuming part. After this everything is quick and easy.
- Take the fresh milk in your mixer jar or bowl if your are using a hand mixer or blender. Now add the crushed Marie biscuits
- Add the custard apple pulp and the sugar.
- Blend all the ingredients till everything is nicely mixed. Check the sugar. If less, than add a few more tablespoons of sugar.
- The ice cream mixture is thick and creamy….and………. looks like an ice cream mixture Pour the contents into container with a tight fitting lid.
- Place it in the freezer till partially set. For a softer texture, remove from freezer and whip the mixture in your mixer for 1/2 minute. Pour into the container again and refreeze the ice cream. If you are a lazy person like me, you don’t have to whip it I did not and still the custard apple ice cream tasted great.
- Serve the custard apple ice cream as it is…… that is plain… or if you want you can top it up with a topping or sauce of your choice.
- For more servings just increase the proportion of the custard apple pulp, milk and crushed Marie biscuits equally.
- Sugar can be adjusted according to the sweetness of the custard apples and your individual taste.