cucumber raita is yet another very simple and easy side dish to be made in the fasting season. cucumber raita is simple, quick and a lovely dish to be had with samvat rice accompanied with aloo chaat or jeera aloo or any other vrat recipe.
rains have vanished and its becoming hot in goa…. so soon… i miss the rains and the cold and cloudy weather. so now you guys will see many cooler recipes on the website.
now coming back to the cucumber raita, all you need are some cucumbers, curd, and cumin seeds powder, chaat masala and rock salt or black salt. thats it… adding red chili powder is optional and only if you want some spice and heat in the raita.
the cucumber raita can be had as an accompaniment with some sabzi or rotis. even great with dal-rice. you can also have the raita as a dip with fresh, roasted or baked veggies.
again some folks squeeze out the water from the grated cucumber and then add it to the curd. i do not squeeze out the water and directly add the grated cucumber to the curd for nutritional reasons.
cucumber raita recipe details below:
- 1 medium sized cucumber
- 1 cup curd/yogurt
- 1 tsp roasted cumin seeds powder/jeera powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- ½ tsp red chili powder (optional)
- rock salt/sendha namak or black salt
- chopped coriander or mint leaves for garnish
- wash the cucumber.
- peel the cucumber and grate it
- in a bowl, beat the curd till smooth.
- add the grated cucumber to the curd.
- add all the dry spice powders and rock salt or black salt.
- mix well and serve cucumber raita.
- optionally you could even garnish the cucumber raita with some coriander leaves or mint leaves.
2. if you are making cucumber raita for fast/vrat then add rock salt/sendha namak.