cream of celery soup recipe – from a long time i have been wanting to make cream of celery soup and finally i made the soup. i can think and prepare soup only in winters. i guess this is the last soup recipe i will be posting as the summer season in india is just around the corner.
having soups in the indian summers is an absolute no no, unless it is a cold soup. so i thought i better post this soup recipe before it gets too late. otherwise i will have to wait for a year again to post it in the next winters. at home i always cook seasonal recipes and that reflects on the blog too.
this celery soup is a one pot soup recipe. i have not used milk and all purpose flour to thicken the soup. instead added potatoes to thicken the soup. i have added low fat dairy cream in the recipe. but feel free to skip it or reduce the proportion if you want a lighter version of the soup.
in india, celery is available in most metro cities in super markets which sell gourmet stuff and herbs. i do have celery shrubs at home, but for the soup i had purchased the celery from the market. i had got these long stalks which i chopped fine and then added to the soup.
this cream of celery soup can be had plain or with a baguette or toasted bread slices. you can also accompany a main pasta dish like creamy mushroom pasta or spaghetti olio e aglio or mushroom spaghetti bolognese with the cream of celery soup as a starter.
vegetarian cream of celery soup recipe below:
vegetarian cream of celery soup recipe - a one pot soup recipe with celery and potatoes.
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon dairy cream - about 20% to 25% fat
- 1 garlic clove (lahsun) - chopped
- 2 pinch of grated nutmeg or nutmeg powder (jaiphal powder)
- 3 cups water or vegetable stock
- salt as required
- black pepper as required
- a few parsley leaves for garnish (optional)
- some bread croutons for garnish (optional)
- in a pan melt butter. add the celery and garlic.
- saute both the celery and garlic for 2 to 3 mins on a low flame.
- add potatoes and stir. add water or veg stock, salt and pepper. cover and cook till potatoes are cooked.the potatoes need to be completely cooked.
- once the potatoes are cooked, let the mixture cool down a bit.
- when the soup mixture is slightly hot or warm, using an immersion blender, blend the soup till smooth. you can also blend the soup in a regular jar blender.
- put the pan back on fire and gently heat through the soup.
- you can adjust the consistency of the soup here. add a bit of water or veg stock, if you want a slightly thin soup or if the soup appears thick.
- when the soup has heated through, add cream and sprinkle the grated nutmeg or nutmeg powder. switch off the stove and stir well.
- check the seasoning and add more salt or black pepper if required.
- serve cream of celery soup garnished with parsley and bread croutons.