corn sandwich recipe with step by step photos – an easy, spicy and tasty sweet corn sandwich recipe for breakfast or snacks.
sandwiches are a good party food snack and can be made in large quantities. easy to prepare and assemble. to make any sandwich use brown bread or whole wheat bread or multi grain bread as they are healthier. these sandwiches are made with multi grain bread.
the filling for this corn sandwich is italian inspired with tomatoes, garlic and fresh basil. in olive oil the garlic is sauteed with steamed corn kernels. then tomatoes and fresh basil are added. so the stuffing has to be made first. you can also make the stuffing overnight and keep in the fridge.
to make these corn sandwiches:
- i have used fresh sweet corn. i had cooked the corn cobs first and then added them to the stuffing. tinned corn would also work well.
- i have used cheddar cheese but you can also use cream cheese or mozzarella cheese or regular cheese or nutritional yeast. in the recipe details i have mentioned when to add cheese. however you can skip adding cheese completely, if you prefer.
these corn sandwiches are a bit spicy. reduce the amount of black pepper and red chili flakes to make these less hot and spicy. the recipe serves 2 to 3 people, but you can easily double the recipe.
sweet corn sandwich recipe card below:
corn sandwich recipe - an easy and tasty sweet corn sandwich recipe for breakfast or snacks. italian inspired vegan corn sandwiches.
- 2 to 3 teaspoons olive oil or butter
- 1 or 2 small to medium garlic cloves (lahsun), minced or finely chopped
- 1 boiled medium sweet corn cob
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, crushed or add as required
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes or add as required
- salt as required
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 or 2 tablespoon grated cheddar cheese or grated mozzarella or cream cheese - optional
- 7 to 8 basil leaves, chiffonade or chopped
- some butter or extra virgin olive oil for spreading on the bread, optional
- 4 to 6 sandwich bread slices or large bread slices
- boil the corn cob in a pressure cooker or steam it till the kernels are cooked.
- remove the corn kernels from the cob. i usually scrape the kernels with the help of a knife.
heat the olive oil in frying pan. add the garlic. saute for a few seconds.
then add the corn kernels and stir for 1 to 2 minutes on low flame.
- season with salt, pepper and red chili flakes.
switch off the fire and add chopped tomatoes and basil. stir and keep aside. let this mixture become warm or cool down completely.
add grated cheese, once corn filling mixture has become warm or cooled. keep aside.
- stuff this corn-tomato-basil filling in the bread and toast them or grill them.
- you can also grill corn sandwich in the oven.
- serve corn sandwich hot with tomato sauce and some french fries.
a few tips for making corn sandwiches:
- the bread slices can be toasted separately too on a frying pan.
- if making the filling overnight, then next day add the grated cheddar to the corn mixture just before grilling the sandwiches.
vegan option to make corn sandwich recipe:
- nutritional yeast is often used by vegans since it give a cheesy flavor to the dish. nutritional yeast is different from baker's yeast. its an inactive form of yeast which does not grow like baking yeast. so there is no leavening in the food. they are sold in the form of flakes or powder. as the name suggests, nutritional yeast is full of nutrition.
- if using nutritional yeast then add 1 to 2 tablespoon of nutritional yeast at the step when you add corn kernels in the pan.
how to make sweet corn sandwich recipe:
a) preparing and boiling corn:
1. boil 1 medium sweet corn cob in a pressure cooker or steam it till the kernels are cooked. i have cut them into halves as my cooker is small. for pressure cooking, cook the corn cob in 1.5 cups water for 3 to 4 whistles on medium flame.
2. allow the boiled corn to cool completely.
3. then remove the corn kernels from the cob. i usually scrape the kernels with the help of a knife.
4. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making corn sandwich.
making corn sandwich:
5. heat 2 to 3 teaspoons olive oil or butter in a frying pan. add 1 to 2 small to medium sized garlic cloves (minced or finely chopped).
6. saute for a few seconds till the raw aroma of garlic goes away.
7. add the corn kernels. stir for 1 to 2 minutes on a low flame.
8. stir well.
9. season with ½ teaspoon black pepper powder, ½ teaspoon red chili flakes and salt as required.
10. mix very well.
11. switch off the fire and add 2 small tomatoes (chopped) and 7 to 8 basil leaves (chiffonade or chopped).
12. stir and keep aside till the mixture becomes warm or cools down.
13. later add 1 to 2 tablespoon grated cheddar cheese, once the corn filling mixture has become warm or cooled. you can also use cream cheese or mozzarella or processed cheese or you can also skip adding cheese altogether. addition of cheese gives a cheesy taste to the sandwiches.
14. mix well and keep the mixture aside.
15. slice the edges of bread if you prefer. spread butter evenly on all the slices. make sure the butter covers the entire of bread. a generous coating of butter does not allow the bread to become soggy, when you stuff the mixture.
16. stuff this corn-tomato-basil filling on the buttered bread.
17. cover the sandwiches with the remaining buttered slices.
18. place them in a preheated toaster or grill. then grill or toast corn sandwiches for 2 to 3 minutes or till the bread gets toasted well and golden. you can also grill corn sandwich in the oven.
19. similarly toast the rest of corn sandwiches. once done, slice them into triangles or squares.