an easy corn sandwich recipe for breakfast or snacks. since i often make sandwiches at home and never ever share their recipes, i have decided to share the various sandwiches that i make.
sandwiches are also a good party food snack and can be made in large quantities. easy to prepare and assemble. to make any sandwich use brown bread or whole wheat bread or multi grain bread as they are healthier. these sandwiches are made with multi grain bread.
the filling for this corn sandwich is italian inspired with tomatoes, garlic and fresh basil. sauting the garlic and steamed corn kernels in extra virgin olive oil. then stirring in the tomatoes and basil. so the stuffing has to be made first. you can also make the stuffing overnight and keep in the fridge.
i have used fresh sweet corn. i had cooked the corn cobs first and then added them to the stuffing. tinned corn would also work well.
to give a cheesy flavor and taste, i have used nutritional yeast. nutritional yeast is often used by vegans since it give a cheesy flavor to the dish. nutritional yeast is different from baker’s yeast. its an inactive form of yeast which does not grow like baking yeast. so there is no leavening in the food.
they are sold in the form of flakes or powder. the one which i had were flakes as you can see in the pic below. as the name suggests, nutritional yeast is full of nutrition. i purchased the nutritional yeast online from here.
you can also add cream cheese or cheddar cheese. in the recipe details i have mentioned when to add cheese. however you can skip nutritional yeast and cheese completely, if you prefer.
these corn sandwiches are a bit spicy. reduce the amount of black pepper and red chili flakes to make these less hot and spicy. the recipe serves 2-3 people, but you can easily double the recipe.
corn sandwich recipe details below:
corn sandwich recipe - italian inspired vegan corn sandwich
- 1 medium sweet corn cob
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, crushed or as required
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes or as required
- 1 or 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast or cream cheese or grated mozarella or cheddar cheese (kindly check in the recipe details when to add them)
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 2 to 3 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 or 2 garlic (lahsun), minced or finely chopped
- 7-8 basil leaves, chiffonade or chopped
- some butter or extra virgin olive oil for spreading on the bread optional
- boil the corn cob in a pressure cooker or steam it till the kernels are cooked.
- remove the corn kernels from the cob. i usually scrape the kernels with the help of a knife.
- heat the extra virgin olive oil in frying pan. add the garlic. saute for 15-20 seconds.
- add the corn kernels and stir. now add the nutritional yeast. stir for 1-2 minutes on low flame.
- season with salt, pepper and red chili flakes.
- switch off the fire and add chopped tomatoes and basil. stir and keep aside.
- if adding cream cheese or mozarella or cheddar cheese, you can add it once corn filling mixture has become warm.
- stuff this corn-tomato-basil filling in the bread and toast them or grill them.
- you can also grill corn sandwich in the oven.
- serve corn sandwich hot with tomato sauce and some french fries.
1. the bread slices can be toasted separately too on a frying pan.
2. if making the filling overnight and adding cheese, then add the cream cheese or grated cheddar cheese the next day when toasting the corn sandwiches.