Corn Cutlets - A famous monsoon snack in some parts of India. My mother used to make them often in the rainy seasons. Its also known as Corn Pattice, Corn Patties, Corn Fritters.
On the internet, there are many versions of making Corn Cutlets. Sometimes while I look for recipes on the internet, I am baffled by the number of cooking methods and preparations for a particular recipe. So many versions so many modifications.
In such scenarios, I rely on my intuition and cook the recipes. The result has always been good. For this corn cutlet recipe too, I made it according to my intuition and the recipe turned out to be too good. For making day to day life decisions too, I listen to my inner guide.
To make this recipe, I used American Sweet Corn kernels. The corns impart a sweetish taste to the cutlet. But you could also use the normal corn kernels.
For binding the corn cutlets, I have used bread. Along with bread, mashed potatoes also could be used. I personally wanted it only to be full of corn and no potatoes. So I did not add any potatoes. Alternatively, you could also use cornflour or besan/gram flour to bind the corn cutlets.
Corn Cutlet Recipe details below:
- 1 and half cup of american sweet corn kernels
- 1 small onion
- 1 small green chili
- ½ inch ginger
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 1 or 2 slices of bread
- oil for frying
- chaat masala
- In a mixer or food processor, grind the corn kernels, onions, green chili and ginger. Don’t make it too fine.
- Soak 1 0r 2 slices of bread in water. Squeeze out the water from the bread and add the bread pulp to the corn mixture.
- Now add salt and asafoetida and mix the mixture well.
- Now heat oil to shallow fry or deep fry the corn cutlets
- Take a medium sized ball from the mixture. Flatten the ball on the palm of your hand. Give the cutlet a round shape and slid in the hot oil. Make other cutlets in the same manner and fry them till crisp and golden brown on both sides.
- While serving corn cutlet sprinkle with chaat masala and serve corn cutlet with tomato ketchup or mint-coriander chutney.