collection of easy chutney recipes – including popular chutney varieties like coconut chutney, mint chutney, coriander chutney, green chutney and sweet chutney for chaat.
chutney recipes originated in the indian sub continent. indians have taken food very seriously as a science and experimented with the spices, herbs, vegetables, fruits to come out with best recipes from them. like indian architecture, music, dance etc… indian food is also very rich, vast as well as colorful.
chutney plays a very multiple role in indian cuisine despite the fact that it can be easily tucked away in any corner of the plate. its an important ingredient for serving idli, dosa, vada, uttapam, sandwiches or most chaat items like samosa, pakora, aloo patties, dabeli, sev puri, bhel puri, ragda patties and so on. in short, indian street food is powered by chutneys.
- chutney acts as an appetizer and also some are good for digestion.
- they adds their own flavor and many recipes like idli, dosa or chaat items like samosa, tikki, pakora cannot be enjoyed totally without an accompanying chutney. if you serve idli or samosa without a chutney to an indian food lover then it will be an incomplete meal for him. such is the importance of chutney.
- sweet chutney can be applied to biscuits, crackers and sandwich. basically the sweet chutney is more used in europe where the european traders took the chutney recipes from india in the 17th century. european style of making chutney has a thick consistency and almost like a jam or jelly. whereas indian chutney recipes are not so thick and are semi-liquid in type.
chutney can be made with fruits, vegetable, herb or spices. usually in most chutney recipes, one ingredient predominate the taste and thats how the chutney is named. most of the famous chutney recipes are made using coconut, mint, coriander, cilantro, garlic, ginger, mango, tamarind, red chili, green chili, lime, peanut, cumin, fenugreek, asafoetida and tomato.
chutney stays well for few days, if stored in refrigerator. but always better to consume it fresh.
you can also check these useful veg recipes collections:
- 30 chaat recipes
- 28 sandwich recipes
- top 10 snacks recipes
- 21 bread snacks recipes
- collection of 11 idli recipes
- collection of 26 dosa recipes
- 10 best indian street food recipes
47 easy chutney recipes
1. hotel style coconut chutney recipe – this is a quick coconut chutney recipe that goes extremely well with idli, dosa, uttapam and medu vada. this chutney also goes well with upma. what contributes majorly to the earthy taste of this coconut chutney is roasted bengal gram or chana dal.
2. coriander chutney recipe – one chutney and many uses. this coriander chutney is a nice accompaniment with veg sandwich, aloo tikki, dhokla, dabeli, aloo tikki burger. a no onion and no garlic chutney recipe.
3. mint chutney recipe – this is the same pudina chutney recipe that is served in restaurants with tandoori snacks like veg kabab, veg shammi kabab, hara bhara kabab and tikkas like paneer tikka, mushroom tikka, aloo tikka, gobi tikka, amritsari paneer tikka etc.
4. sweet tamarind chutney recipe – sweet tangy gooey chutney made with tamarind, dates and jaggery that is often accompanied with indian chaat snacks like pani puri, bhel puri, sev puri, aloo tikki and even samosa or pakoras. its a one stop chutney recipe solution for all your chaat and fried savory snacks.
5. tomato chutney recipe – spicy, tangy and tasty chutney made from tomatoes. no onion no garlic recipe. though if you want you can add onions as well as garlic. this tomato chutney pairs extremely well with idli, dosa,
uttapam or vada varieties or even with pakoras.
7. green chutney for chaat recipes – a quick chutney that can be added to many chaat snacks like sev puri, ragda patties, bhel puri and samosa chole. the chutney is versatile and can also be used as an accompaniment with snacks like sandwiches, batata vada, vada pav, veg cutlet. to make the chutney more spicy, you can increase the quantity of green chillies.
8. spicy coconut chutney recipe – spicy coconut chutney that is served with davangere benne dosa. this is a simple recipe of coconut chutney that is spicy and uses minimal ingredients. you can also serve this easy coconut chutney with poha dosa, set dosa and even plain dosa or uttapams.
9. gujarati raw papaya chutney recipe – papaya sambharo is crunchy and spiced chutney made from raw unripe papaya. usually served with fafda, ghatiya, methi na gota and khaman dhokla. you can also serve it with methi thepla or mooli thepla or lauki thepla or rava dhokla or plain parathas or aloo paratha and even as a side dish with dal-rice.
10. momos chutney recipe – spicy chutney for vegetable momos made with tomatoes, garlic and red chilies. apart from veg momos, this spicy tomato chutney also goes well with any pakoras or fritters or tikkis.
11. curry leaves chutney recipe – a versatile chutney made with curry leaves, coconut and roasted bengal gram. this is a versatile chutney and you can serve it with any indian snack be it pakoras, upma, as a sandwich spread, dhokla, idli, dosa or vada.
12. red chili garlic chutney recipe – this is a spicy red chutney for chaat recipes and is made with just three ingredients – dry red chilies, garlic and salt. this red chilli garlic chutney is versatile as it can be added to spice up a lot of chaat snacks like – sev puri, bhel puri, ragda patties, dahi sev batata puri, dahi papdi chaat, dahi vada. you can also use a bit of this chutney in wraps or as a side chutney with pakoras or vegetable momos.
13. kara chutney recipe – south indian recipe of spicy tomato chutney. this chutney is spicy as red chilies are added. you can make it less spicy if you want, by adding less chilies or using chilies which are low in heat. you can serve kara chutney with idli, dosa or uttapam. this chutney specifically also goes very well with methi dosa.
14. onion chutney recipe – quick and easy onion chutney recipe for idli, dosa and uttapam. onion chutney has complex flavors – the slight tartness of the tamarind, the smokiness of the red chilies, the slight pungent flavor of garlic, the sweetness of the onions and the earthy flavor of the lentils. since it has so many flavors combined in one, it goes very well with tiffin snacks like idli or dosa or uttapam.
15. pomegranate chutney recipe – anardana chutney is a spicy and tangy chutney recipe. a quick and easy chutney recipe and can be made within 15 minutes. the pomegranate chutney would be a good accompaniment or a dip with with pakoras, fritters, samosa or tandoori snacks or grilled snacks.
16. fafda chutney recipe – making this besan chutney is ridiculously easy, quick and taste good with fafda, gathiya, chorafali and gota. during dussehra festival fafda along with this besan chutney, papaya chutney and jalebi is sold like hot cakes in gujarat.
17. sandwich chutney recipe – green chutney recipe for preparing mumbai style sandwiches.
18. red coconut chutney recipe – a slightly hot version of red chilli coconut chutney. like most of the coconut chutneys, this chutney pairs well with idli, dosa, uttapam and medu vada. also good with starters like pakoras.
19. beetroot chutney recipe – tasty chutney made with beetroot for idli and dosa. this is a vibrant colored chutney thanks to the reddish-pink hues coming from the beetroots. the colorful chutney looks attractive and tastes good too.
20. saunth chutney recipe – sweet and tangy chutney made with tamarind, jaggery and ginger powder. saunth chutney is often used in north indian chaat snacks like dahi papdi chaat, dahi bhalle, dahi vada, samosa chaat. its also served with samosas, kachoris, pani puri and pakoras. the chutney is slightly thick with a smooth texture.
21. coconut curd chutney recipe – another variation of a delicious coconut chutney made with yogurt. excellent with idli and dosas.
22. peanut chutney recipe – healthy and delicious peanut chutney for idli, dosa, uttapam or any indian snack. unlike coconut chutney this peanut chutney won’t get spoiled or rancid if you add it to tiffin box or keep it out.
23. mint coriander chutney recipe – this is an easy chutney recipe made only with four ingredients – fresh mint leaves, coriander leaves, green chilies and ginger. this chutney is usually used as a spread for sandwiches. the chutney can also be had with pakoras, samosas, bhel puri, chole, potato chips and even as an accompaniment with dal rice.
24. cabbage pachadi recipe – south indian recipe of a spicy and tangy chutney made with cabbage (patta gobi). this cabbage chutney can be served with idli or dosa or uttapams. you can also serve it a side chutney along with dal-rice or sambar-rice
25. onion tomato chutney recipe – easy to make onion tomato chutney for idli, dosa or medu vada.
26. baingan chutney recipe – simple, easy and quick chutney made with aubergines. the preparation of baingan chutney is similar to baingan bharta, but fewer spices and herbs are used in this chutney. this smoky mushy dish serves very well as a side dish with chapatis and also with dal-rice. you can also have it as a dip with pakoras or fritters.
27. bengali tomato chutney recipe – a delicious, sweet and spiced tomato chutney made with dates and with the flavors, aroma of panch phoron (bengali 5 spice mix).
28. carrot chutney recipe – quick and tasty carrot chutney recipe. this recipe of carrot chutney has coconut also added and tastes very good with soft dosas like poha dosa, neer dosa, benne dosa, idlis, adai and even medu vada. you can also serve with chana dal vada or masala vada.
29. capsicum chutney recipe – nutritious chutney recipe made with red capsicum or red bell peppers. this capsicum chutney tastes very good and if you like capsicum, you will like this chutney recipe too. i served it with akki roti, but even with idli or dosa the chutney tastes good. you can also serve it with south indian snacks like uttapam, idli fry, ulundu vada, rava dosa, oats idli and rava idli.
31. tomato pachadi recipe – this recipe of tomato pachadi is basically an andhra style tomato chutney which is tangy, sour and spicy. these three flavor profiles in this tomato chutney pairs very well with an idli, dosa, uttapam, adai or ulundu vada.
32. sesame chutney recipe – this is a quick and easy chutney, if you have all the ingredients at home. even bachelors or novice cook can make it easily at home. the chutney pairs very well with idlis, dosa and with rice kanji (savoury rice porridge).
33. sweet potato chutney recipe – a delicious south indian spiced chutney made with sweet potatoes.
34. mango chutney recipe – easy mango chutney recipe made with semi ripe mangoes. there is a sweet and tangy taste to the chutney. addition of ginger, gives a fresh ginger flavor in the chutney. the mango chutney can be served as a side dish along with a main course indian meal. it can also be had with rotis, parathas or simply as it is.
35. punjabi style green chutney recipe – tangy and strongly flavored chutney. this green chutney can be had as a dip or can be used as a spread. best with some onion pakoras, samosa, aloo tikki, french fries, paneer tikka, veg cutlet, tandoori or grilled veggies or snacks.
36. nariyal ki chutney recipe – this coconut chutney is simple and makes use of ingredients which are easily available in your kitchen. i have made this nariyal chutney both with fresh coconut as well as with desiccated coconut. both ways the chutney tastes good.
37. red chutney recipe for dosa – i make this spiced red chutney whenever i make mysore masala dosa. this red chutney recipe is easy and does not require coconut. you need some roasted chana dal aka bengal gram to make this chutney.
38. garlic coconut chutney recipe – coconut chutney recipe with flavors of garlic along with coconut, chana dal, coriander and curry leaves. this garlic coconut chutney is not tempered.
39. sweet mango chutney recipe – this yummy and quick mango chutney is made from ripe mangoes and fresh grated coconut. the mango chutney goes very well with dal-rice combination. since it is sweet and made along with coconut it tastes good with idli and dosas too
40. hara lahsun chutney recipe – easy and garlicky chutney made from garlic chives and fresh coriander. this garlic chives chutney is excellent with starters like kababs or tandoori paneer, mushroom tikka or grilled vegetables. they would go well with samosas or aloo tikki or bread pakoras too.
42. sweet green chutney recipe – mildly sweet and lightly tangy green chutney made from coriander and mint leaves. this green chutney had the flavors of mint and coriander as well as the tang from lemon juice with a sweet taste due to the sugar. the lemon juice helps to preserve the chutney and this green chutney has a shelf life for 4-5 days if stored in refrigerator.
43. green mango chutney recipe – this recipe of green mango chutney is my mom’s and we usually have this mango chutney with dal-rice or with rice kanji/pej (savory rice porridge). since the mangoes are raw, so this chutney is sour in taste.
45. coconut garlic chutney recipe – chutney made with coconut, garlic, green chilies and flavored more with tempering spices.
46. phalahari chutney recipe for fasting – a green chutney made from fresh coriander leaves that i make on fasting or vrat days. this phalahari chutney is easy to make and an ideal accompaniment with fasting snacks like sabudana pakora, sabudana vada, sukhi arbi, farali batata vada, farali pattice or any other fried fasting snack of your choice.
47. coconut chutney for fasting – i make this simplest coconut chutney on fasting days to be served as a side dish with the vrat snacks like vrat ke uttapam or vrat ki idli. at times when i want to make a quick coconut chutney.
48. muhamarra recipe – muhammara is a roasted red bell pepper dip from the middle eastern cuisine. muhammara is a really awesome dip and if you have not tried and then you should try it. muhammara goes very will with toasted pita bread wedges, french fries, raw veggies, hara bhara kebab, falafel, veg shammi kabab, rajma kebab, veg cutlet and even the veg burgers i had made.
few related recipes:
1. pesto recipe – a simple recipe of pesto made with fresh basil and almonds. pesto is a sauce from italy made with crushing basil leaves, pine nuts and garlic blended in olive oil and cheese. it can be had with pasta, sauted or boiled vegetables, salad or even as a topping on toasted breads/buns.
2. peri peri sauce recipe – a hot and fiery piri piri sauce made with red chilies from the portuguese cuisine. the peri peri sauce is so yum and spicy that we have it with everything like vegetables, rice, salads, bread. it brings some zest and spice to the dish, especially if the dish is bland and not spicy. simply love it. you can also serve it with snacks like french fries, veg momos, veg spring rolls, aloo tikki etc.
3. hummus recipe – hummus is a popular middle eastern dip made from cooked, mashed chickpeas. hummus is great as a spread on sandwiches or burgers. you could also have it as a dip with fried, roasted or steamed veggies. best is to have hummus with pita bread. even it tastes good with garlic naan or butter naan.
4. schezwan sauce recipe – hot, spicy schezwan to perk up your meals. an indo chinese fusion recipe. schezwan sauce can be served as condiment with snacks like potato wedges or veg cutlet, french fries, corn patties, burgers, spring rolls and veg momos. even with the indian pakoras, the sauce goes amazingly well. apart from being served as a condiment, schezwan sauce is also added to indo chinese recipes, like:
5. tomato sauce recipe – homemade tomato ketchup made from fresh tomatoes. a sauce which only has tomatoes and tomatoes. this homemade ketchup sauce is full of tomato goodness. no pastiness, no sugary taste…. there is tang of the tomatoes and the texture is rich with tomatoes.
6. pizza sauce recipe – an easy, quick and delicious recipe to make an awesome tomato pizza sauce. this pizza sauce is made with fresh tomatoes, garlic and basil.
This post was last modified on February 4, 2018, 9:05 pm